HRT Music Streamer II Clicking or Popping Noises
Feb 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chrisw302

New Head-Fier
I just bought a Music Streamer II and hooked it up on a desktop computer running ubuntu. Dac plays fine but has popping and clicking noises while playing music that others have complained about. I was using a double usb cable (using 2 plugs into the computer)  to run the dac. Reading through posts looked like it was  a power problem so I got a powered usb hub and used the dual cable to plug into that. Made no difference. Have tried various music players and they all seem about the same. I was using a  cheap hifi man usb dac before and it was pretty quiet. Does anybody have any other sugestions to try?
Thanks
Chris.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 11
Plenty of advices on this problem in the forum already. Most likely you have a problem with giving enough power to the DAC from your computer. If not, then use Foobar 2K and set the buffer to less than 80ms.
Please make use of the search function, guys.

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 11
if you bothered reading my post you would see that I did use the search function but what was recommended , mainly a powered usb hub, did nothing to fix the problem. I also stated that I had tried numerous music players to no avail. As far as I know fubar is not available for ubuntu.
Thanks

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 11
Looks like I read to fast, my apologies.

Is there any player on ubuntu that gives you the possibility to change the buffering ? Maybe Foobar2K through WINE ? Change for a USB cable dedicated to the DAC ?

I know I had pops and clicks with the Streamer 2+ when using my network heavily. Is it possible you can relate the trouble with a specific situation ?

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #6 of 11
Hi there, 

I believe I experienced exactly what you are referring to, i.e. HRT Music Streamer ii with Ubuntu (various media players; Banshee, RhythmBox, Quod Libet, to name but a few), and I went down the Powered USB hub route. I know you have tried this, but just wanted to check that you have done all the things that I was told to do.

Check that you are using a powered usb hub with external power connected (ac mains adaptor) and turned on, single usb cable from your pc to your hub (do not plug in other devices into your hub) and a single usb cable from your hub to your hrt. Don't use your dual usb cable or any double usb plugs and see if that helps. I spoke to Kevin from HRT and apparently it is important that you only have a single device on your powered usb hub; your hrt music streamer ii. 

Hope this helps, and if not then contact Kevin at HRT; he is sure to have some good suggestions 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 11
I have the same problem on OS X with Audirvana.  After many trial and error, the solution is to uncheck "Use max I/O buffer size".  Perhaps you can solve your problem with equivalent adjustment.

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 11
These clicks and pops are well documented. It's not a problem of the dac.

One solution is to change the buffer size (smaller the better) Another is to not use foobar AND NOT use wasapi. Use something like J river and asio4all or something. You know what, the hrt and other asynchronous dacs hate wasapi the most. Actually foobar+asio4all (with a low buffer) works perfect. 

I speak from experience....

Oct 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #11 of 11
The computer manages its power distributions in a rather complicated way...

Did you try running on battery? And under different power management settings (AC or battery)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back