HRT Music Streamer HD reviews, impressions and comparisons
Apr 17, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #61 of 89
Quote:
I had that problem with the music streamer pro and other dacs. Best I could tell it was from electrostatic discharge. I have a full size pc and when I put the dac and amp on the case so they were touching, no more problems with static. The loud burst is because the USB signal is getting lost and the clock screwed up. It took me a long time before I learned that, after trying separate powered hubs that didn't work for me.

I'm using MS HD with speakers, does these loud bust damage the speakers in any way?

I use to have these busts quite often, but after about 300 hours burn-in, they have almost completely disappeared, the sound is also getting clearer.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #62 of 89
I just found a new product on the german company AQVOX's website. They need you to contact them if you are interested in a USB 2.0 driver for all 1.1 DACs. Maybe this can help you.

http://www.aqvox.de/products_de.html

Thanks for the link, but I returned my music streamer and bought a Nad receiver instead. I hope your findings help others though.

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #63 of 89
 I'm using MS HD with speakers, does these loud bust damage the speakers in any way?

I use to have these busts quite often, but after about 300 hours burn-in, they have almost completely disappeared, the sound is also getting clearer.

All I can say is be cautious. One of those bursts blew a driver in my headphones, though it was with a different dac. I never had a burst when using speakers because I almost always use headphones, so I unfortunately can't say. Maybe someone else knows.

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #65 of 89
Quote:
All I can say is be cautious. One of those bursts blew a driver in my headphones, though it was with a different dac. I never had a burst when using speakers because I almost always use headphones, so I unfortunately can't say. Maybe someone else knows.

Actually my left speaker now has a loud humming noise mainly from the woofer, the bass is almost completely gone, I have sent it to repair. I am not sure it is the bust happened so often before killed it, or I didn't turn off the speakers first when I shut down my laptop, which caused a loud popping sound in the woofer. I think it is the later, the next day the left speaker started making this humming noise.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #66 of 89
Quote:
What was your final opinion on the DAC?  if you dont mind my asking.....

I've tried different headphones while trying out different dacs, so I can't make any solid comparisons.  All I can say is that I found it to be my favorite stand alone dac so far.  All that I've tried should be in my profile.  I wish I had my current receiver at the same time to compare, because I love the way this sounds too.  I don't like trying to go into a lot of detail because I feel like this entire hobby is purely subjective.  Just about every item I've read reviews on has at least a few people saying exactly opposite things, so I expect some may not agree with my opinions.  To me, it just sounded 'right'.  With all that I tried before it, some had a bass boost, some had extra detail but were sibilant, some sounded hollow, some were warm, some cold, etc.  This was the only one that I couldn't find anything wrong with at all (sound wise).  Nothing seemed emphasized.  I felt like what was going in was what was coming out without any alteration.  I was surprised that my mp3s didn't sound like garbage like they did with other dacs, but I listened to mostly flac files.  Since it's been a while since I listened to it, I don't think I can go into any more detail than that.  I don't know how helpful it is.

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #67 of 89
Quote:
I've tried different headphones while trying out different dacs, so I can't make any solid comparisons.  All I can say is that I found it to be my favorite stand alone dac so far.  All that I've tried should be in my profile.  I wish I had my current receiver at the same time to compare, because I love the way this sounds too.  I don't like trying to go into a lot of detail because I feel like this entire hobby is purely subjective.  Just about every item I've read reviews on has at least a few people saying exactly opposite things, so I expect some may not agree with my opinions.  To me, it just sounded 'right'.  With all that I tried before it, some had a bass boost, some had extra detail but were sibilant, some sounded hollow, some were warm, some cold, etc.  This was the only one that I couldn't find anything wrong with at all (sound wise).  Nothing seemed emphasized.  I felt like what was going in was what was coming out without any alteration.  I was surprised that my mp3s didn't sound like garbage like they did with other dacs, but I listened to mostly flac files.  Since it's been a while since I listened to it, I don't think I can go into any more detail than that.  I don't know how helpful it is.

this is really helpful.....I just wanted broad indications anyway. I am not really an "audiophile", I just want to enjoy my music. I don't really think I can spot very fine differences. So you returned it because you couldn't play 24/192?

Apr 18, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #68 of 89
this is really helpful.....I just wanted broad indications anyway. I am not really an "audiophile", I just want to enjoy my music. I don't really think I can spot very fine differences. So you returned it because you couldn't play 24/192?

Actually, no. The hrt site description makes it look like USB audio class 2.0 is supported on Linux, windows, and Mac. When crazybill made a comment on theabsolutesound site about it needing drivers for 24/192khz on windows, it seemed like hrt's response ignored the main issue and in a way suggested he place blame with Microsoft. 2 support requests from me went unanswered, and I felt the description was misleading. I still haven't heard from anyone that got 24/192 working on windows or Linux. I'm not slamming hrt and I'm not trying to imply anything, but in the end I just didn't want to give them my business anymore.

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #69 of 89
Quote:
Actually, no. The hrt site description makes it look like USB audio class 2.0 is supported on Linux, windows, and Mac. When crazybill made a comment on theabsolutesound site about it needing drivers for 24/192khz on windows, it seemed like hrt's response ignored the main issue and in a way suggested he place blame with Microsoft. 2 support requests from me went unanswered, and I felt the description was misleading. I still haven't heard from anyone that got 24/192 working on windows or Linux. I'm not slamming hrt and I'm not trying to imply anything, but in the end I just didn't want to give them my business anymore.

The description on their website is definitely misleading.....I can understand why you feel this way.

May 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #73 of 89
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue67/hrt_musicstreamer.htm

Another glowing review of the DAC HD. It has very interesting comments from Kevin Halverson and the most astounding one from Michael Goodman. Basically, Windows is not interested in developing USB 2.0 audio at all. It is an astonishing neglect of customers  particularly when it could be done with zero expense. It is just shocking.....

May 7, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #74 of 89
drivers for specific hardware are never the responsibility of microsoft.

there are many dac manufacturers write their own drivers for win. hrt is just slow in doing this.

May 8, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #75 of 89
Quote:
drivers for specific hardware are never the responsibility of microsoft.

there are many dac manufacturers write their own drivers for win. hrt is just slow in doing this. 

We are talking about 2 different things.....the lack of a 24/192 driver from HRT for windows is unsatisfactory particularly when it appeared from their website that it would be supported.......
 However, native drivers for a variety of purposes are provided by operating systems or else there would be no such thing as a plug and play device. Apple has been providing native USB 2.0 drivers since quite some time and with this scenario windows refused an offer from a trusted company (that they work with frequently according to CEntrance) to make the driver for them (absolutely free!).

I still believe that this is a blatant disregard of consumers who have to depend on 3rd party drivers and their associated inconsistencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back