HRT Music Streamer HD reviews, impressions and comparisons
Mar 31, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #48 of 89
I guess I'm glad I'm on a Mac and don't have to worry about limitations here.

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #49 of 89
Has anyone been able to get 192khz on this to work on linux?  I can't get it to work above 96khz.  I've had a horrible time finding other forums and results with this issue.  I see posts about linux supporting it, but I have a suspicion there seems to be confusion over USB 2.0 and USB Audio Class 2.0.  Just because an OS supports 2.0 or 3.0 USB, it does not mean that the OS supports Audio Class 2.0, which you need for playback higher than 96khz, or of course a driver.

Speaking of drivers, I haven't been able to find any from other manufacturers that work yet.  They seem to all be tailored specifically to their respective company's equipment.

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #51 of 89
Quote:

if this is not a review what is it then?

introduction of product? advertisement? user comments?

the write put in his opinion saying it sounded very good and trust his ears. lol

It is a preliminary review as a blog post......their full reviews appear as longer articles in their print magazine with comparisons and issues. He does mention in the last paragraph about comparisons and more to come soon. Anyway, reviewers are still people he never mentioned that he tried out a windows computer and it worked. He has a mac and it worked properly on that.

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #52 of 89
u said it was not a review and now u said it was a preliminary review.  there are short and long reviews and both are reviews. there are preliminary review and """final" review and both are reviews.

he stated the item was capable with mac or pc. u may re read the article. absolute no mention of the incapability accepting 176 192 files thru pc.

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #53 of 89
Quote:
u said it was not a review and now u said it was a preliminary review.  there are short and long reviews and both are reviews. there are preliminary review and """final" review and both are reviews.

he stated the item was capable with mac or pc. u may re read the article. absolute no mention of the incapability accepting 176 192 files thru pc.

please check what was my initial comment when I posted the link...post #38 since you seem to be in a hurry
also,  he just stated the company literature and then documented his use with a Mac.....I can't see where he made his terrible mistake for which he should have been fired.

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #54 of 89
I also read the literature and reviews and was under the impression it was a trivial task to find win7 usb class 2 drivers. I've tried numerous and all refuse to reckonize the HRT device. I ask HRT to recomment a driver but they reiterated the same smoke as the literature.

I'm running win7 64 bit and use foobar2000 with a wsapi plugin, this works with the default class 1 driver but of course is limited to 96k 24 bit. I also use the Qvorp (?) usb power supply.

I also installed Linux Mint 14 which comes with a usb Audio Class 2 driver which I'm sure sounds better than windows but when using a sample file of 192k 24 bits it only illuminated the 24bit 96k LEDs on the HRT.

I  did ask HRT to recomment a Class 2 win 7 64 bit driver but the response was disappointing. If they want any repeated custom they had better come up with a driver soon!

I also had problems with the HRT dropping connections with the laptop especially not long after switch on.

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #55 of 89
I also had problems with the HRT dropping connections with the laptop especially not long after switch on.

I just returned mine, so I may not be much help, but I had lots of clicking/dropouts when I first got mine. They were less frequent when I switched USB ports, but went away completely when I used a hardware buffer of 25ms. I was using wasapi too, but through jriver. I don't know if that will work for you.

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #56 of 89
Quote:
I just returned mine, so I may not be much help, but I had lots of clicking/dropouts when I first got mine. They were less frequent when I switched USB ports, but went away completely when I used a hardware buffer of 25ms. I was using wasapi too, but through jriver. I don't know if that will work for you.

I do not get clicks just a short burst of unpleascent white noise followed by silence. To recover I need to stop the music playing app and disconnect the usb cable. I asked HRT and they suggested I use a usb power supply which I found still did not fix the problem but did improve sound quality. I shall have a play with buffer size tonight - thanks. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #57 of 89
I had that problem with the music streamer pro and other dacs. Best I could tell it was from electrostatic discharge. I have a full size pc and when I put the dac and amp on the case so they were touching, no more problems with static. The loud burst is because the USB signal is getting lost and the clock screwed up. It took me a long time before I learned that, after trying separate powered hubs that didn't work for me.

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #58 of 89
Quote:
the reviewer neil gader stated:

""The Music Streamer HD uses high performance asynchronous USB transceiver, differential current mode conversion, and a fully differential signal path. Getting up and running is a breeze. Since it employs native Audio Class 1.0 or 2.0 drivers (available in all modern PC, Mac & Linux computers), just select the appropriate audio class via the Music Streamer HD's front panel switch, connect it to your computer via the included USB cable and connect the audio outputs to your audio system (RCA or XLR). Then select the HD as the default audio output in your computer’s audio sound preferences. LED indicators display the current sample rate (44k1, 48k, 88k2, 96k, 176k4 & 192k), the bit depth (16 or 24), and the state of the mute circuit. On my MacBook Pro I typically go into the Audio Midi setup and select the resolution I’m using. The same goes for PureMusic’s audio setup program where after selecting the sample rate I always restart the software.""

no use of win pc to verify the application of 176 192 files

this is post #43

i cannot see i did that in a hurry.

what neil gader stated was obvious " available in all modern PC, Mac ...."

wish he could point out in his subsequent detailed review!

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #60 of 89
Quote:
Has anyone been able to get 192khz on this to work on linux?  I can't get it to work above 96khz.  I've had a horrible time finding other forums and results with this issue.  I see posts about linux supporting it, but I have a suspicion there seems to be confusion over USB 2.0 and USB Audio Class 2.0.  Just because an OS supports 2.0 or 3.0 USB, it does not mean that the OS supports Audio Class 2.0, which you need for playback higher than 96khz, or of course a driver.

Speaking of drivers, I haven't been able to find any from other manufacturers that work yet.  They seem to all be tailored specifically to their respective company's equipment.

I just found a new product on the german company AQVOX's website. They need you to contact them if you are interested in a USB 2.0 driver for all 1.1 DACs. Maybe this can help you.

http://www.aqvox.de/products_de.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back