HRT Microstreamer or Audioengine D1
Oct 7, 2013 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

JeromeMF

New Head-Fier
Hello folks, 

I'm in the market for a new portable DAC. I've been looking around the internet to find some information about these two DACs and they both have great reviews.
I can't really find comparisons between these two anywhere. It's really hard to find which one would be a better purchase.

How do they compare sound wise? 
I think the USB on the D1 is not asynchronous. Does that makes a huge difference? From what I know, that mean I have to choose a better cable since the signal is not processed only after arrival in the DAC. 

I love the knob on the D1 and the fact it can feed some speakers. It is not a necessary feature for me, I just like it. On the other hand I love the portability of the Microstreamer. 

If any of you could give me some of your opinions about how each of these sound it'd be really welcome. 

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #2 of 28
What sound are you after? Have you considered the tried and true budget bosses like the ODAC? What's your budget?

If you are just after the sound of these two there are threads around for them, but finding a comparison might be hard.

Personally after hearing the Music Streamer MSII and the ODAC I went for the latter as money was a concern and audible differences were negligable, if not all in my head anyway.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #3 of 28
Never tried the ODAC. Well, I don't really have a budget but if I could stay on the 200/250 it would be good. But if its worth it I can go higher than that. 

Are you talking about the JDSLabs ODAC? Or is there any other ODAC? 

I'm really curious about those too.

I've been using a FiiO E17 for the past year but now I want to upgrade. I'm not satisfied with it. It's a good entry portable DAC/Amp but I want something better. 

At home I have a Musical Fidelity M1DAC and A Little Dot for my Grado and I'm very happy. I want an upgrade for my laptop.  

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #4 of 28
Cool, well obviously the best way for you to decide is for you to try the different options but short of that the general consensus is that the D1 is not worth the money (on the forums here at least) I was originally looking at it too, but it seems to be grouped with the cheaper fiio products. The sound stage from memory was the D1's biggest issue.

The microstreamer is getting raved about in a thread for it here under source components, so it should definitely be a competitor. Go check out that thread when you get some time.

The new Schiit products are definitely worth a look too, and they are very cheap. Whether they are "better" I'm not sure as I haven't heard them. Maybe post in the thread for them and ask.

The ODAC is a relatively cheap "excellent on paper" DAC that is to say its a great cheap DAC but it sounds like your other components. It doesn't add anything to the sound itself. So if your headphones or amp have a warmth or coldness it will be extra obvious. That's what I like about it, the sound of the M50's and ad700 and Allesandro MS1 are all so different and add something special when used with transparent components. That said, if your headphones have a sound you don't like you won't like them even more from a transparent source and DAC. And yeah the JDS labs is the one I have. There are others from kits and the like, I recommend pre built though.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 28
That's interesting. I love the sound of my headphone. I have both the Grado SR80 to take with me everywhere and a pair of SR325is at home. Later I'd like to try some Hifiman.

Schiit products seem really interesting but I but they seem to be bigger products meant to stay on a desk. I want something I can take with me to the university and to my office. 

So the D1 is not worth the money. I'll keep that in mind. 

I built an CMoyBB from JDSLab but I will totally buy a pre-built ODAC if I go through that road. What you are telling me is that it's completely transparent and i'll easily notice the differences between my headphones. Interesting point... 

The Microstreamer is under the spotlights lately and it really looks like a cool little device. 

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 28
Good luck with your purchases man always remember there is no wrong answer, just different answers for all of us, my knowledge is specific as I'm new too, so I'll leave this thread to some more experienced head-fiers and follow along.

PS. How are you finding the 325i's?

Oct 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #7 of 28
I'm loving the 325is. The sound is very clear and the soundstage is awesome. I do find them kinda heavy and on the long run when you are not used they can hurt around your ears. 
The other thing is the trebles which can be a little too bright depending on your taste and what you are using to feed them. 

I loved them with the tubes I had but with the my new pair of Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV, i'm completely in love. After around 70h, the sound is just beautiful and the soundstage is crazy. 

Oct 16, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #8 of 28
  Hello folks, 

I'm in the market for a new portable DAC. I've been looking around the internet to find some information about these two DACs and they both have great reviews.
I can't really find comparisons between these two anywhere. It's really hard to find which one would be a better purchase.

How do they compare sound wise? 
I think the USB on the D1 is not asynchronous. Does that makes a huge difference? From what I know, that mean I have to choose a better cable since the signal is not processed only after arrival in the DAC. 

I love the knob on the D1 and the fact it can feed some speakers. It is not a necessary feature for me, I just like it. On the other hand I love the portability of the Microstreamer. 

If any of you could give me some of your opinions about how each of these sound it'd be really welcome. 

I'm working on a review of both (and some more expensive models). I haven't done my detailed comparisons yet, but I think the microStreamer is the superior unit, although the extra inputs, outputs, and physical controls on the D1 are certainly a plus. It's a nice unit; the microStreamer just provides a notable increase in sound quality. 

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #10 of 28
I've owned both, preferred the sound of the Microstreamer, but ultimately returned the MS and kept the D1.

To me, the Microstreamer was more resolving, crisper, and livelier than the D1.  I would have kept it were it not for horrible system incompatibility with my Win7 64-bit PC.  I experienced a litany of pops and clicks, and worked extensively with HRT to get it resolved, but no go.  

The D1 doesn't sound bad by any stretch, and it's certainly priced right.  It sounds good, has been problem free, is flexible given its preouts and optical input, and has a physical volume knob.  It's also quiet, plays well with my IEMs, and is just a solid little unit.  

I move it around the house as a USB DAC for PCs, or an optical DAC for my Squeezebox and Sonos boxes.  For the latter, it can be powered by a ext USB battery.  Cheap and functional.

I also picked up an AQ Dragonfly, which sounds better than the D1.  Compared to the Microstreamer, though, that's a tougher call.  I remember the MS being a bit more lively and fun, whereas the DF is slightly richer in tone.  

In this product class, also consider the upcoming Geek and Audioengine D3.  

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 28
Did anyone get the D3 yet?, it looks very interesting, I'm planning on buying it along with the DragonFly Tail

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #12 of 28
Did anyone get the D3 yet?, it looks very interesting, I'm planning on buying it along with the DragonFly Tail

I've got a review sample of the D3—I actually bumped the D1 from my review as this is a better fit with the other models I'm reviewing.

I'm not done with my review yet, but so far, DragonFly>microStreamer>D3. I also have the Explorer, DACMagic XS, and DACport in the mix. Should be a good review :)

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #13 of 28
I've got a review sample of the D3—I actually bumped the D1 from my review as this is a better fit with the other models I'm reviewing.

I'm not done with my review yet, but so far, DragonFly>microStreamer>D3. I also have the Explorer, DACMagic XS, and DACport in the mix. Should be a good review :)

Looking forward to your review! :) What would you say would be your favorite of all 6?

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #14 of 28
Looking forward to your review! :) What would you say would be your favorite of all 6?

Thanks! I'll post a link once it's up on the web. I've got to do some slight revision in light of the new price of the DragonFly, but it's pretty much done.

My favorite is probably the DragonFly (I've got the new 1.2 version)—great combination off DAC, amp, form factor, and now price, especially if you use IEMs. I like the microStreamer a lot too, particularly for use with iOS. The Explorer has an edge in DAC quality, and the DACport and Arcam rPAC (which I've also got on hand) have an edge in amp quality with stuff that's harder to drive. But I've found myself reaching for the DragonFly and microStreamer most often.

Dec 20, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #15 of 28

KILLER list!
I look forward to your review too!

that is a GREAT list!
mirrors my collection! Minus the DACmagic XS...

My personal favorite between the DACport, D1, D3, Dragonfly, Explorer, and HRT microStreamer actually comes down to a close match for me:

I think the D3, especially w/ my 325i's - has more overall dynamic punch than the microStreamer (and I'm a huge fan - having reviewed it
first out the gate at Positive Feedback, startin the thread here) - but the HRT microStreamer, to my ears, beats out the D3 in its emotive 
presentation of the music, and especially dimensionality (not to mention micro and macro-dynamics).

and I still dig the Dragonfly (easiest and smallest to carry - like the D3 - which should have a cover for the USB end I think)
and the Explorer - but the Explorer sounds like a few Wilson Audio Loudspeakers used to sound to me: They're like terrific Hi-fi, but, 
because they're almost too perfect, can sound a bit soulless at times...
is that makes any sense

I wanna get LOST in the music, and forget about the gear

Good luck with your purchases man always remember there is no wrong answer, just different answers for all of us, my knowledge is specific as I'm new too, so I'll leave this thread to some more experienced head-fiers and follow along.

PS. How are you finding the 325i's?

GREAT point!
Trust your own ears too - we're ALL guides, even those of us who write about this stuff for a living.
Everybody has an opinion and they all count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back