HRT iStreamer DAC video review - a true iPod/iPhone/Ipad DAC!
Jan 28, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #61 of 124
Hi Davy,

quick question on the i-streamer if I connect my ipod can i use the ipods menu, scroll over to any music I play and is this supported for all i-pods.

the reason to ask is I have a i-transport which does not support the use of the ipods menu for older ipods

thanks,
biraj

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #62 of 124
Hi birajm,

From what I understand, the menu functions fine with almost all generations of iPod (including iTouch) and iPhones when the DAC is in use. I remember reading here on this thread that the iPod 5th gen did not work at all, so there may be other generation models that have not been tested yet. Also, it should work fine with all iApps if you use an iTouch or iPhone.

Dave

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #64 of 124

Quote:
Any idea if the iStreamer will support the upcoming Ipad 2?

Think about it :

- Apple have just charged Mr Halvorsen for the right to extract the digital signal from iDevices, specifically the iPad as the current sales sensation

- Apple then release a revision of said device which doesnt play nicely with the Mr Halvorsen's transport/DAC

I'm not saying this sort of thing doesnt happen, but it would be engineering madness to do it so soon after the release of the iStreamer. I'd like to be as confident of winning Lotto as I am that the new iPad will support the iStreamer.

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #65 of 124
I bought the iStreamer online from NHT and it arrived last night.

First impressions, quickly hooking it up to my bedroom system (NAD C320BEE integrated amp, Paradigm Mini Monitors, Grado SR60)...

On the positive side, nice sound! A noticeable improvement on an iPod with a line-out dock. The sound was cleaner and clearer, with a bigger soundstage, more liquid and warm, and highs had more sparkle.

On the negative side, whenever the iPod has to "think" too much (like scrolling through a long list of albums), the sound goes choppy, stutters. I guess the iStreamer (or iPod) is prioritizing the user interface over the sound? That seems like a bad choice to me. I'm used to the iPod's interface being sluggish -- why compromise the sound?

Then I brought the iStreamer to work today, where I have a system in transition. I recently replaced my Shure SRH440 headphones (treble too harsh) with Denon AH-D7000. My headphone amp is a HeadRoom Total BitHead, so it's a bit of a mismatch, quality-wise. I figured my source (iPod) was worse than the amp, so I got this DAC as part of a gradual system upgrade.

Ugh. The iStreamer's output voltage is 2.25 volts RMS, which I guess is too high for the Total BitHead. The amp clips in both low- and high-gain mode, regardless of the headphones connected. So the iStreamer is unusable with the Total BitHead.

I wonder if that's the case with other portable amps. If so, the iStreamer really isn't a portable solution, even if you jury rig some kind of portable power supply!

So I guess I'll put this DAC in the home system until I upgrade my headphone amp. Disappointing.

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #66 of 124
Some updates...

I hooked up the iStreamer to my main system (NAD C162 preamp, NAD C272 power amp, NHT ST4 speakers, Sennheiser HD650 headphones), and it sounded wonderful there, too. An obvious improvement on a line-out dock again, and warmer and more musical than my Oppo BDP-83 SE, which has a nice DAC section.

But sound still goes choppy sometimes when playing and scrolling through the iPod's user interface at the same time. And a new problem has appeared.

Twice now, while playing one song, I've switched to another (selecting through the menu, not hitting the next track button), and the sound has cut out. The iPod was playing, but the iStreamer wasn't sending any sound to the preamp. In both cases, after unplugging the iStreamer's power cable and plugging it back in, the iStreamer resumed playing.

Maybe I have a defective unit? I'm going to see how much more it does this.

Speaking of defective, the RCA cable included is terrible. It's thin and flimsy, but I figured it's a pack-in cable, so what more should I expect? Then the first time I unplugged it, one of the RCA jacks busted, the metal bent and the plastic and metal separating. I'm consistently gentle and careful with my stuff, so I blame this 100% on the cable. Not impressive.

I wish all these little glitches would go away so that I could enjoy the iStreamer's beautiful sound in peace.
frown.gif

Mar 11, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #67 of 124
I just got the Istreamer and I can switch songs  with no problems. I noticed I could hook up a C7 power cord so have been looking for my Rhodium Oyaide power cable. I like it so far.

Mar 11, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #68 of 124
Interesting. Are you using an iPod that has a hard drive or flash memory? I'm thinking this might be a limitation of hard-drive based iPods. Mine's a 160 GB iPod Classic, first gen.

I think I'll send some feedback to HRT and see what they have to say. As I said before, I might just have a defective unit.

Quote:
I just got the Istreamer and I can switch songs  with no problems. I noticed I could hook up a C7 power cord so have been looking for my Rhodium Oyaide power cable. I like it so far.

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #69 of 124
I have the latest gen of the 160GB ipod classic (7thGen). One thing I did notice that was odd to me is that you can still use the volume on the ipod. I have several docks and usually that was never able to be used while using them. Do you have your ipod rockboxed? is all your software updated?

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #70 of 124
I have the latest gen of the 160GB ipod classic (7thGen). One thing I did notice that was odd to me is that you can still use the volume on the ipod. I have several docks and usually that was never able to be used while using them. Do you have your ipod rockboxed? is all your software updated?

My iPod hasn't been modded at all, and the volume control on the iPod does nothing when it's attached to the iStreamer. I wish it did! That sounds convenient.

I also tried plugging the iStreamer into the back of my Apple iPod dock. If that worked, I could use the Apple remote with the iPod and get the iStreamer's nice sound. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. The iPod shows a "this accessory not supported" message.

My iPod software is fairly up to date, but I'll try updating it to see if that changes anything. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #71 of 124
It sounds like you may have a 5th gen ipod?

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #72 of 124
Oops! I was sure I had tested the volume control before, but trying it again, it works! Yeesh, I feel foolish.

So now I'm using my iStreamer with my Total BitHead and Denon D7000s, and it's a wonderful combination. When I adjust the volume on the iPod, there's a bit of momentary choppiness in the sound while it changes from one volume level to another, but then it's smooth again. And a volume level change is only necessary for me to reduce the signal going into the amp by a little bit. Then I can use the amp's volume control.

I haven't had another instance yet of the iStreamer stopping playing when switching tracks, so maybe that was user error, too. I'll contact HRT if that issue occurs again.

Next step...upgrade my headphone amp...

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #73 of 124
I notice that my ipod will stick like not do anything but I think partial reason is the skin I have on it. Can't tell if I'm touching it? It did that before i got the HRT. Changing songs, do not hear any degradation of sound. And it is hooked up to the Woo. Like the sound, very nice sounding DAC. Can listen for the nuances in the music, the background is a lot more clear. can separate the instruments.

Mar 15, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #75 of 124
I would love to get a Woo to go with this. I've also been considering the Musical Paradise MP-301 MK2. I've never owned a tube amp, but I like warm, smooth sound in general, so a tube amp seems like a no-brainer.

And the iStreamer has a warm, smooth sound. That makes for a strong contrast with the iPod's sound, which has such harsh treble, thin sound, small soundstage, and general congestion in comparison. It's a keeper!

I'm thinking about getting another one for the bedroom stereo. Do you know if the iStreamer works with any docks with remotes?

Quote:
I notice that my ipod will stick like not do anything but I think partial reason is the skin I have on it. Can't tell if I'm touching it? It did that before i got the HRT. Changing songs, do not hear any degradation of sound. And it is hooked up to the Woo. Like the sound, very nice sounding DAC. Can listen for the nuances in the music, the background is a lot more clear. can separate the instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back