HRT iStreamer DAC video review - a true iPod/iPhone/Ipad DAC!
Mar 15, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #76 of 124
Estreeter addressed this question in post #66, and I think he's right. You could always contact HRT to make sure.

Quote:
anyone knows if it works with the ipad2?

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #77 of 124
So was the final verdict that the iPod volume control does or does not affect the volume of the sound coming out of the iStreamer?

Because number one, that is a pain in the butt. I hate, hate, hate multiple volume controls. I want to set the volume on the headphone amp and not have it get screwed up because I touched the click wheel wrong. Total showstopper if that's how the iStreamer works.

But number two, how in the world can the iPod volume control be changing the raw bitstream supposedly being sent to the iStreamer?

I guess I just don't understand how iPods work but shouldn't the volume control operate downstream of the A/D converter in the iPod? Otherwise why wouldn't the volume control also affect the volume when using a regular LOD?

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #78 of 124

It works, will bring it to the next Seattle meet.

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #79 of 124
The iPod volume control does affect the volume coming out of the iStreamer. By default, it's at the top, so the iStreamer puts out a 2.25 volt signal. But if you need a weaker signal going into your amp, it's great that you can reduce the volume.

At work, my current headphone amp is a portable and the 2.25 volt signal is too strong, causing distortion. Turning down the iStreamer volume a touch eliminates the distortion and the sound is great.

At home, in the bedroom, my integrated amp is 50 watts and my speakers are sensitive (92 dB). If I'm listening very quietly at night, the only way to get the sound quiet enough is to turn down the iStreamer volume.

The iPod is probably just sending a signal to the iStreamer to attenuate the analog output signal. Since the iPod is sending the iStreamer raw data, you can't reduce the "volume" of that data. But you can send extra info along with the data to control the volume once it's been converted into analog sound. It must work that way somehow.

Quote:
So was the final verdict that the iPod volume control does or does not affect the volume of the sound coming out of the iStreamer?

Because number one, that is a pain in the butt. I hate, hate, hate multiple volume controls. I want to set the volume on the headphone amp and not have it get screwed up because I touched the click wheel wrong. Total showstopper if that's how the iStreamer works.

But number two, how in the world can the iPod volume control be changing the raw bitstream supposedly being sent to the iStreamer?

I guess I just don't understand how iPods work but shouldn't the volume control operate downstream of the A/D converter in the iPod? Otherwise why wouldn't the volume control also affect the volume when using a regular LOD?

Mar 17, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #80 of 124
Dan,

Thanks for that. And just moments ago I received a response from Kevin H. at HRT also explaining how it works. He's very quick to respond to queries, at least he was for mine.

Just to clarify, he also mentioned that the volume-control thing is for click-wheel iPods only. Not for iPad, iPhone or Touch models...

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #81 of 124

Quote:
Estreeter addressed this question in post #66, and I think he's right. You could always contact HRT to make sure.

Thanks Dan. As noted elsewhere in this thread, HRT work very hard to ensure that emails are answered, and that is in stark contrast to many in the audio industry in my experience. I know one guy who runs a shop here in Oz, has a website complete with email address and will merely laugh when you ask if he received your email. Knows more about 'traditional' audio than I ever will, but a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to customer service.

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #82 of 124

Does it mean that I should keep my volume in iPad at full if I want no attenuation??? When docked, the volume control gets disabled, so I don't know how you "control" the volume.  It sounds rather weird and not sure if I like it.
Quote:
The iPod volume control does affect the volume coming out of the iStreamer. By default, it's at the top, so the iStreamer puts out a 2.25 volt signal. But if you need a weaker signal going into your amp, it's great that you can reduce the volume.

At work, my current headphone amp is a portable and the 2.25 volt signal is too strong, causing distortion. Turning down the iStreamer volume a touch eliminates the distortion and the sound is great.

At home, in the bedroom, my integrated amp is 50 watts and my speakers are sensitive (92 dB). If I'm listening very quietly at night, the only way to get the sound quiet enough is to turn down the iStreamer volume.

The iPod is probably just sending a signal to the iStreamer to attenuate the analog output signal. Since the iPod is sending the iStreamer raw data, you can't reduce the "volume" of that data. But you can send extra info along with the data to control the volume once it's been converted into analog sound. It must work that way somehow.

Mar 30, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #83 of 124
The thing about the volume control working when hooked to the iStreamer only applies to click-wheel iPods like the Classic, Video and pre-6G Nano. On your iPad the volume control is disabled and runs full blast all the time with only the iStreamer volume knob being available.

This is per an E-mail I got from the folks at HRT.

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #84 of 124
The thing about the volume control working when hooked to the iStreamer only applies to click-wheel iPods like the Classic, Video and pre-6G Nano. On your iPad the volume control is disabled and runs full blast all the time with only the iStreamer volume knob being available.

This is per an E-mail I got from the folks at HRT.

So, there is a volume knob on iStreamer?

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #86 of 124
Could the Energizer XP8000 supply power to the iStreamer on the go?

Energizer XP8000:
http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/vn/products/xp8000/

"12V iStreamers - Kevin Halverson: "I've been hearing rumors of iStreamers sales through mobile resellers. Things like cars, boats and even motorcycles are getting our iStreamers installed. This video shows how. The fact that the iStreamer is constrained to a dock environment means that for these applications we are perfectly valid. Because there's more and more demand for this type of solution, HRT will be adding a 5[size=x-small]th[/size] variant to our iStreamers. Right now we offer a North American, European, UK and Australian mains plug set. We've just added the iStreamer-12v automotive adapter version. I am now waiting for a set of photos of a motorcycle installation that someone promised to send me."
http://6moons.com/news/news.html
http://www.avguide.com/blog/hrt-istreamer-car-cool-shocker

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #88 of 124
You have the WA6 and the Pelican - I value your input :)

Seriously, if I had bigger cojones I would have shelled out for the WA6 instead of buying yet-another-portable, but $620+shipping just isnt in the tea leaves right now. Enjoy your amp and your iStreamer.

Apr 7, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #89 of 124
Quote:
You have the WA6 and the Pelican - I value your input :)

Seriously, if I had bigger cojones I would have shelled out for the WA6 instead of buying yet-another-portable, but $620+shipping just isnt in the tea leaves right now. Enjoy your amp and your iStreamer.

you know, estreeter, the WA6 might cost twice what the pelican does, but i'm not sure it's really a significantly better amp....
it might just be because the new hasn't worn off the ibasso yet, but, i find it compares quite favorably.

the istreamer and pelican combo is rocking my world.
i honestly can't think of a better setup if you're looking for something with a small form factor, and that also doubles as a transportable rig...

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #90 of 124

Quote:
Quote:
you know, estreeter, the WA6 might cost twice what the pelican does, but i'm not sure it's really a significantly better amp....
it might just be because the new hasn't worn off the ibasso yet, but, i find it compares quite favorably.

the istreamer and pelican combo is rocking my world.
i honestly can't think of a better setup if you're looking for something with a small form factor, and that also doubles as a transportable rig...

Interesting - we hear so much about how portable amps are a poor substitute for an 'entry-level desktop', but that hasnt been my experience. The problem is that the desktop amps I had were both more DAC than amp - it was largely an afterthought - but amps like the Sheer Audio/Matrix M-Stage reportedly have power galore at sub-$300 price points. I've just shelled out 260AUD for the P4 but it was a close one right up until I hit 'Submit'  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back