HRT iStreamer DAC video review - a true iPod/iPhone/Ipad DAC!
Jan 19, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #46 of 124
Agree that the combo is not strictly speaking portable, nothing you would like to move much around with, more like transportable. But for me, it is a compact enough package to move with me easily enough in the house, office, etc. and without having to unplug and plug continuously, which is enough portability for me.

Also agree it would be nice to have the dac and amp in one box with a decent high capacity battery, but have not seen one on the market so far.

Regards,
Dr J

Jan 23, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #47 of 124
OT for a moment, if I could.

I'm a big fan of HRT products, and am glad they made this one.

That said, for those of us who switched over the last few years to Sansa for a PMP, this is a frustrating time - there is no equivalent product to the iStreamer, and likely will never be, given the market share and work involved.

Someone set me straight if I'm wrong, would you?

best,

Scott A.

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #48 of 124
(reposted from correct account)

OT for a moment, if I could.

I'm a big fan of HRT products, and am glad they made this one.

That said, for those of us who switched over the last few years to Sansa for a PMP, this is a frustrating time - there is no equivalent product to the iStreamer, and likely will never be, given the market share and work involved.

Someone set me straight if I'm wrong, would you?

best,

Scott A.

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #49 of 124
I'm interested in how well this iSteamer compares to the Red Wine Audio iMod. I don't have a primary speaker system at home, instead I have built a nice headphone system around an iMod and headamp. Its obviously not gonna be the best system going but i reckon its pretty good, especially in terms of value and not taking up heaps of space.

This device would let me use a newer 160gb iPod, as long as its SQ is on par with the iMod.

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #50 of 124

Quote:
This device would let me use a newer 160gb iPod, as long as its SQ is on par with the iMod.

Cant you just upgrade the HDD in the iMod ? I'm an ardent fan of what HRT are doing in terms of budget DACs, and I enjoy my MSII, but surely you would be better of building on your existing investment ?

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #51 of 124
I'm not sure if that's possible with the 4th Gen iPods. Even so, it would require shipping the iPod back to Red Wine in the US and getting a new hard drive sent to them as well. And then paying to have it shipped back. A lot of mucking around if this $250 device solves the same problem into the future.

Can the iSteamer also act as a USB DAC? If so it would be another advantage over the iMod. 

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #52 of 124

Quote:
Can the iSteamer also act as a USB DAC? If so it would be another advantage over the iMod. 

If you mean 'can I plug the iStreamer into my computer and enjoy the same incredible experience as estreeter with his asynch USB MSII ?', I'm afraid the answer is no. Its a one-trick pony, but thats what it was designed to be.

Jan 24, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #53 of 124
Can anyone confirm that the iStreamer does NOT work with pre-classic iPods? I have a 30 gig 5th generation.

tks,

s.

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #55 of 124
the supported iPod are listed on the box,
if you wanna hit me up at work (the office)

feel free - -

(message me I'll give you my email)

I'm here to help - there are some iPods (older models) that are not supported,
and that was an engineering/OS decision, if it were up to Kevin they'd ALL be supported

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #56 of 124
HRT has made a name for itself by making single-purpose devices,
that way they can focus on doing the one thing  - and do that thing the BEST they can
Jon Iverson got that recently, as did Chris Martens - -

I was a fan before going to work for their distributor in the US btw,
I had written about the Streamer+ in 09 long before going to work for them -
I took the job because I already loved the product

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #58 of 124
Sorry if this question has been ask before, is there a specific reason why HRT doesn't ship the product with a USB male A to USB male B and RCA to 3.5mm cable?  I was planning to get the HRT Music Streamer II+, but need to find the right cable to hook up to my amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back