HRT HeadStreamer USB DAC/AMP
Jan 20, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #17 of 21
It would be really nice to get some more opinions on this product. Seems like it could be a great entry product when considering price/convenience/sound quality for people who want to listen on their computers through a headphone. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #18 of 21
Agreed!

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #20 of 21
Does anyone know if I can power the HRT Headstreamer Portable directly from an iPad Mini via a lightning USB CCK, without a powered USB hub? Will it drive the Sennheiser HD25s adequately? I am looking for a truly portable (in-flight) solution...

How long does the iPad's battery last with the HRT in tow?

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:
Does anyone know if I can power the HRT Headstreamer Portable directly from an iPad Mini via a lightning USB CCK, without a powered USB hub? Will it drive the Sennheiser HD25s adequately? I am looking for a truly portable (in-flight) solution...

How long does the iPad's battery last with the HRT in tow?

A Sansa Clip+ will drive HD25-1-ii's past my pain level. So you could compare the HRT's spec with the Clip's. Or you could just buy a Clip, because in reality you won't hear any difference - once an amp has acceptably low noise and will drive a transducer without clipping (bit of a confusing term) you're not really going to get sq improvements. Otoh, if you're locked to iTunes, this is no use to you. Plus the ability to use apps like SonicMax and Exciter is a genuine advantage for the iPad.

Out of curiousity, have you tried driving the 25s direct from the iPad? And if you need more amp, why not just buy a Fiio? The DAC on the iPad would have to be an absolute mess for you to get audible improvements from using anything else, and I can't believe that it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back