HRT DSP / iDSP
May 4, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #46 of 79
  Worth noting that while my orange light used to glow steadily, now it just flashes upon connection. I noticed this a few days ago, although I couldn't tell you when the change occurred. Additionally, while the steady glow was very dim, the flash is somewhat brighter. Not super bright, but visible in daylight.

Based on what others are reporting, I'd assume the orange light is indeed a feature, whether it's described in the product information or not. An LED power indicator, designed to flash upon connection to a source.

I've checked it again and now I see that the orange light comes on about 2 seconds after connecting the i-DSP to the iPhone, and it stays on for about one second. It's dim though, as you say, and one would have to look for it to see it.

May 12, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #47 of 79
Just got the new Apple MacBook retina 12", and was hoping the new Apple USB-C to USB adaptor, which looks identical to the Lightning to USB camera adaptor, would work with the i-dSp and allow me to use it with the computer... However the USB end of the new USB-C adaptor is larger than the Lightning USB adaptor, for some reason. So it doesn't fit. Dunno why Apple designed it that way... Bummer. Would have been cool to be able to use the i-dSp with a laptop without some crazy workaround...

May 12, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #48 of 79
Just got the new Apple MacBook retina 12", and was hoping the new Apple USB-C to USB adaptor, which looks identical to the Lightning to USB camera adaptor, would work with the i-dSp and allow me to use it with the computer... However the USB end of the new USB-C adaptor is larger than the Lightning USB adaptor, for some reason. So it doesn't fit. Dunno why Apple designed it that way... Bummer. Would have been cool to be able to use the i-dSp with a laptop without some crazy workaround...

Does it actually work in say a Macbook Air with lighting ? I never thought of that !
Edit : after comparing the ports/plug..I don't think so.

May 12, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #49 of 79

High Resolution Technologies i-dSp ​
The Mighty Mighty Mids Machine

Conclusions

HRT may have gone about designing the i-dSp with the average Joe in mind, but what they ended up with is a device that is sure to resonate with discerning audiophiles as well. Simply put, this is an astonishing amount of sound for the money. At an MSRP of $69, it represents the most inexpensive DAC/headphone amp currently on the market, if I'm not mistaken. 

When it comes to devices at this price-point I am generally highly skeptical- particularly when they are paired with iOS devices. There is a patently false idea among some audiophiles that "literally anything will improve an iPhone". The truth is, iOS devices represent some of the best sound in the portable industry, bar none. Numerous tests have borne out their superior frequency response and ultra-low levels of harmonic distortion. One is far more likely, when attaching some $99 device to their iPhone, to lessen the quality of the sound. Hell, the odds aren't great with a $300 device.

I've always been of the mind that while it is certainly possible to improve an iOS device's sound with a portable DAC/Amp, it's no mean feat to do so. It takes a remarkable device. The i-dSp is certainly that. Highly recommended. 

Thanks to Michael at HRT for taking the time to speak with me, and to Scott and Sean for setting up the loan of the microStreamer. 

Thanks for this good review! 
In your opinion, relatively how much improvement do you hear from i-dSp in comparison to iPhone headphone output?

Thanks for the review!
Noted this from your review, for dSp comparison with Note4:
"With my Note 4, sound improvement was less noticeable since my phone has a clean and detailed audio output to begin with, but dSp still provided higher power, less distortion at higher volume, and slightly more open soundstage.  For other people with older phones, especially those who turn their smartphones into a wi-fi streaming DAPs, benefit from a sound improvement will be a lot more noticeable."

May 12, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #50 of 79

Does it actually work in say a Macbook Air with lighting ? I never thought of that !
Edit : after comparing the ports/plug..I don't think so.

The i-dSp can be used with a computer as well, but a USB extension cable that fits its connector is needed.

I got this one and sanded the plastic down a bit to get it to fit, and the i-dSp works nicely with it:
"1M 3FT USB 2.0 Type A Female to A Male Extension Cable Cord M/F White for Laptop"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251338563929?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
(this sort of cable is also available from other sellers)

May 18, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #51 of 79

Quote:

The i-dSp can be used with a computer as well, but a USB extension cable that fits its connector is needed.

I got this one and sanded the plastic down a bit to get it to fit, and the i-dSp works nicely with it:
"1M 3FT USB 2.0 Type A Female to A Male Extension Cable Cord M/F White for Laptop"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251338563929?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
(this sort of cable is also available from other sellers)

I've found one that is similar to Apple's connector in size and no sanding is required...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400602940803?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

May 18, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #53 of 79

I've found one that is similar to Apple's connector in size and no sanding is required...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400602940803?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Nice tip, thanks for sharing.
smily_headphones1.gif

If I hadn't bought and sanded mine already, I'd definately buy this one instead.

Probably. I think, the only difference between the dSp and i-dSp is the packaging and USB input connector type.

May 21, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #54 of 79

Looks nice, but have you actually tested it with the i-dSp? I ask because the Apple branded USB-C to USB-A female adaptor looks like it will fit the same as the Lightning to USB-A female adaptor, but the female end is actually a larger diameter, too big for the opening of the i-dSP...

May 22, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #55 of 79
Backed the Kickstarter dSp project just to be able to connect it to the mini USB of my Nokia Lumia 820. Whereas other mini USB fit very well in the Lumia, the dSp cable keeps sticking out of the port, not sending music through the cable, playing music on the smartphone instead. The dSp+cable work perfectly on my Nokia tablet Lumia 2520. Anyone experiencing similar connectivity problems?

May 22, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #56 of 79

Looks nice, but have you actually tested it with the i-dSp? I ask because the Apple branded USB-C to USB-A female adaptor looks like it will fit the same as the Lightning to USB-A female adaptor, but the female end is actually a larger diameter, too big for the opening of the i-dSP...

Sure, tested to be working.
I'll post an image later...

May 29, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #57 of 79
I gave the dsp (android/PC) version a shot and unfortunately I'm not impressed.  This is using a Nexus 6.  Also, I'm coming from an ibasso mk2 (looking for a smaller solution).

The dsp is missing depth in comparison to the mk2.  I first noticed this with an electric guitar melody, where there's supposed to be subtle echoing.  The dsp is not capturing the feel of sound and it ruins the experience/feel.  Just sounds thin.  I like how it captures all the frequencies and detail, but it's missing body.  So back to Amazon it goes.

Honestly, although it's a tad more detailed then my Nexus 6 output, the Nexus 6 captures more body of the sound.  My 2 cents.

Forgot to mention, using se846

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #59 of 79
  I gave the dsp (android/PC) version a shot and unfortunately I'm not impressed.  This is using a Nexus 6.  Also, I'm coming from an ibasso mk2 (looking for a smaller solution).

The dsp is missing depth in comparison to the mk2.  I first noticed this with an electric guitar melody, where there's supposed to be subtle echoing.  The dsp is not capturing the feel of sound and it ruins the experience/feel.  Just sounds thin.  I like how it captures all the frequencies and detail, but it's missing body.  So back to Amazon it goes.

Honestly, although it's a tad more detailed then my Nexus 6 output, the Nexus 6 captures more body of the sound.  My 2 cents.

Forgot to mention, using se846

Which is better technically? Are there any issues?

I have a dark headphone (momentum 2), the brightness of DSP might work in my favor.

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #60 of 79

Which is better technically? Are there any issues?

I have a dark headphone (momentum 2), the brightness of DSP might work in my favor.

The ibasso is better by a long shot.

I had the original Momentums (I think the sound sig is close with the 2) and I wouldn't necessarily call it dark.  A lot of the upper frequency detail was there.

IMO, HRT tuned the DSP for boomy headphones, like Beats.  I think with more expensive headphones you start losing important things, like depth.

But the nice thing is it's an Amazon product, so if you don't like it return it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back