HRD-Balanced -- DPS or Astrodyne?
Jan 26, 2008 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

feifan

1000+ Head-Fier
When I first got the HRDB, I couldn't hear much difference when I switched between the two PSs -- DPS and Astrodyne. Thus, I've been using the Astrodyne exclusively with the balanced setup and the DPS with the HRD-SE.

About a week ago, however, on a whim, I decided to switch the DPS into the balanced lineup. I couldn't believe the difference! The SQ with the balanced HD650s was astounding. When I plugged different SE cans (including the 650) into either of the jacks, the SQ was a bit less dynamic but still very, very good. Different from the HRD-SE sound signature, like apples to oranges. Yet both excellent in their own way.

I decided to shell out the extra $50 US (including S/H) for a second HR PS cable that allows me to use the DPS with both the HRDB and HRD-SE. It arrived today.

While the Astrodyne was in the lineup, I split my listening time with both the balanced and SE, with the latter getting significantly more play. However, now, with the DPS in the lineup for both, I don't think I'll be spending much time with the SE.

The Astrodyne's back in the box, and now I'm comfortable recommending the DPS for the HRDB. In fact, I'd go so far as to say a person would be foolish to not spend the extra $400 for the DPS if she/he were shelling out $1600 for the maxed HRDB. As I said earlier, the difference between the two PSs is like night and day.

How would I describe the HRDB's SQ difference when hooked up to the DPS vs. the Astrodyne? I'd say the difference is in degree, with the DPS helping to create an SQ that's warmer (smooth, sweet), punchier (quick, deep, tight), clearer (discrete, accurate), and vaster (soundstage).

Pleasure-wise, the DPS makes all the difference in the world, transforming the HRDB from excellent to astounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back