HR Portable Micro Amp or Pico/Predator
Mar 30, 2008 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mher6

500+ Head-Fier
I've decided to build another rig to accompany me to college as it is too cumbersome to bring a CD player, desktop amp, and all my CDs to a dormitory. This amp will NOT be used for portable headphones, only full sized headphones (W5000s, perhaps a HD650 or HFI 780 in the future). I need a dac/amp combo so I've narrowed it down to the following:

-HR Portable Micro amp w/ DAC (~$600)
-Headamp Pico w/ DAC (~$500)

edit: RSA Predator should be added to this list also.

Basically, portability is not a large concern, so the smaller footprint of the pico should not play a huge factor in my decision. I am purely looking for the best sound quality in a dac/amp combo. Any alternative suggestions are welcome
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 9
What will your source be ?

Mar 31, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 9
I auditioned a Pico recently. Brief listen ~ 20 minutes or so. My impression was that the DAC is great. However, the amp side is ok and I didn't find it spectacular.

I have a HR microdac and I am VERY happy with it. The Pico's USB dac definitely has a sonic edge but I love the microdac for its flexibility (USB, coax, optical inputs and the convenience of feeding the output to an amp of your choice). Downside is that the mirodac is a bit powerhungry when used on batteries (~ 10 hours or so on a set of 9V s).

Not to make your choice more complicated, have you considered a used microdac (~$200 is what they go for) and an amp like the Graham Slee Voyager ? The Voyager is a superb amp. One of the best portable amps I've heard (only second to the Larocco PRII mkII) and pairs v.well with the microdac. You'll have two units to deal with but you get flexibility.

my $0.02

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 9
I used to own 2006 MicroDAC and Pico as a DAC is clearly superior to it. Amp is nice too, as much as portable amp can be, of course pairing with good desktop amp moves it to different league altogether.

Mar 31, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #7 of 9
If you will ever want coax/optical in your DAC, the HR Micro Stack 2006 model is on sale for 15% off, putting it around $510 for both, and is a good choice. I often use mine in my bedroom with my iRiver and Sony portable CD or Macbook.

For USB only, I prefer my Predator over Pico, but it took 2 weeks (about 350 hours) of continuous burn-in to really enjoy the sound. From that point on the improvements with age were icing on the cake, and with 1200+ hours it really sounds like a desktop amp. I like the HR Micro Stack and Predator over the Pico when driving headphones.

If you were going to drive a full-size desktop amp with my USB DAC, and will never use anything but USB in or analog in (i.e. no optical or coax ever), and were going to take it portable occasionally, then I would probably pass on the HR Micro Stack. Vs the Pico, the Predator's and the HR Micro Stack's sound seems fuller and warmer and bigger, and in the end more satisfying to me. However, in my case I do use the Pico as a DAC to drive a desktop amp in my basement rig with my laptop. It is very neutral and very low distortion, so it acts great a pre-amp to my Dark Voice 336i, matching my 2x as expensive Apogee Mini-DAC for USB performance. But, for my iMod, the Predator is the first one I reach for.

Mar 31, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you will ever want coax/optical in your DAC, the HR Micro Stack 2006 model is on sale for 15% off, putting it around $510 for both, and is a good choice. I often use mine in my bedroom with my iRiver and Sony portable CD or Macbook.

For USB only, I prefer my Predator over Pico, but it took 2 weeks (about 350 hours) of continuous burn-in to really enjoy the sound. From that point on the improvements with age were icing on the cake, and with 1200+ hours it really sounds like a desktop amp. I like the HR Micro Stack and Predator over the Pico when driving headphones.

If you were going to drive a full-size desktop amp with my USB DAC, and will never use anything but USB in or analog in (i.e. no optical or coax ever), and were going to take it portable occasionally, then I would probably pass on the HR Micro Stack. Vs the Pico, the Predator's and the HR Micro Stack's sound seems fuller and warmer and bigger, and in the end more satisfying to me. However, in my case I do use the Pico as a DAC to drive a desktop amp in my basement rig with my laptop. It is very neutral and very low distortion, so it acts great a pre-amp to my Dark Voice 336i, matching my 2x as expensive Apogee Mini-DAC for USB performance. But, for my iMod, the Predator is the first one I reach for.

The current HR Portable Micro amp with upgraded DAC option IS the 2006 micro stack in one unit, correct? (With also a rechargeable battery, of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back