HR Desktop Balanced or Maxed SE Desktop??
Aug 30, 2008 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

HeadStrong

Head-Fier
I have a set of HD600s that I've been using with the original HR "Max". I'd like to get a Desktop with DAC for my iTunes collection and could get a SE Desktop with the Max module and Max DAC, or the Balanced Desktop with the Home module and Home Dac. Which way to go?

Sep 20, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 16
Ill be using Denon 5000, do you recommend i go balance as well?

At this point im trying to convince myself the the Current Ultra Stack (BUDA+UDAC) is worth the premium

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 16
difficult question indeed... one thing i can tell you, the max electronics are simply outstanding! maybe you can shell out some more and go all the way for the ultra balanced amp..? that way you will never ask yourself what you are missing.

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 16
hmm, i was heavily leaning toward the Ultra Balanced Stack, but i've read a post from saying, that the ultra dac doesnt do to well for Rock/Metal. and that it has a more laid back presentation, vs the Home Dac found in the regular Desktop Balance.

So i den decided on the regular Desktop Balance, now im thinking of siwtchin back to the Ultra Stack, this stuff is hard lololol.

Any thoughts on that person's comment towards the ultra dac being laid back.

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 16
The benefit I see of the balanced desktop over the buda is that with the BUDA you will have 3 chassis (since you probably want a dps for something that puts out that much current) as opposed to one.

With the desktop balanced u can go with the astrodyne and have a dac/amp in one combo whereas with the buda you have to have the stack as well as the dps. Lot of real estate on the desk and also in your wallet.

However, I would like to know the answer to the op's question

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #8 of 16
I have both HRDs -- the maxed SE and the balanced w/ home module/DAC. I haven't heard the BUDA. Regardless of which way you go, I'd strongly advise getting the DPS. It makes a significant difference. I was planning to sell the SE but have kept it simply because I have a bunch of SE cans. I use the balanced with balanced HD650, and it removes the 650 veil. The dynamics are startling, clear. Bass is tight and punchy, deep. You really ought to check out this combo before deciding. For quantum improvement and if you had to choose one or the other, I'd suggest the balanced. If you want flexibility, the SE is the way to go.

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #9 of 16
cool, thanks guys. I've decided on balanced, more specifically i think the BUDA/UDAC is where im headed. Now im just trying to see if i can get a good deal from headroom, wherethey take out those astrodyne psu, and replace with the DPS, and throw in all the extra cables and such for a good price
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewhypolite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cool, thanks guys. I've decided on balanced, more specifically i think the BUDA/UDAC is where im headed. Now im just trying to see if i can get a good deal from headroom, wherethey take out those astrodyne psu, and replace with the DPS, and throw in all the extra cables and such for a good price
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think that the ultra dac being "laid back" should bother you too much.
first of all, I never heard this claim, and second, It supposed to have better performance than the max dac that inside the regular balanced (not that it is even near bad).
about the space and the more parts issue... is this gonna stop you from getting the best sound headroom can offer..? I tell you this, I got the ultra micro stack myself and maybe will upgrade to the buda/udac if I will decide to go balance . but for now, the ultra micros simply blow my mind every time! the system you gonna have is supposed to be much better than mine..

if I was buying my gear now, with the knowledge and experience I got so far, I would definitely go straight for the ultra balanced rig. I don't think you can go much better than that in terms of headphone listening. if you have the cash, go all the way.
enjoy!

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 16
I believe the same just thought DIY would be better and my Buffalo has same dac as buda but DIY a buffalo and b22 is ending up alot more costly than a BUDA and I dont get all the cool switches and knobs to change sound characteristics. Get a BUDA/UDAC now! Dont waste time in the lower end and midfi just go straight to the end and save some money and more importantly TIME to use LISTENING!

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #12 of 16
Im sold on the BUDA/UDAC Stack, currently communicating with HeadRoom sales, about removing the astrodynes and including the DPS. It's been a wonderfull experinece thus far, and will be makin my purchase soon.

All thats left, is do i go Zu Mobius XLR, or Headroom Cardas Fat Pipe.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the same just thought DIY would be better and my Buffalo has same dac as buda but DIY a buffalo and b22 is ending up alot more costly than a BUDA and I dont get all the cool switches and knobs to change sound characteristics. Get a BUDA/UDAC now!

The only thing that changes the sound (or what should anyways) is the crossfeed. And FYI, if you truly are using one of the newer TPA kits, you have a different DAC chip than what is in the UDAC.

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #14 of 16
Oh thats right it has the older DAC chip in the UDAC. However, still I am curious how good hardware crossfeed sounds versus Foobar's crossfeed

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #15 of 16
Well guys, i've bit the bullet and placed the order for the following from headroom:

Ultra Balanced Stack Pacakge
DPS
DPS Power Cord
XLR Interconnects 1.5'
Denon D7000 Balanced/XLR
JMoney Denon Lambskin Earpads for D2000/D5000/D7000 (pair)
Sennheiser Headphone Holder

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back