HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
Jun 11, 2024 at 2:43 AM Post #1,501 of 1,724
Yes the list is not very long but I guess it is quite time-consuming to create these corrections.
I am not sure if there is something like a "wishlist" for DACs so Jussi had some information which DACs he could prioritize.

Edit: When I look at the list, it seems that Jussi owns all these DACs by himself. So this could mean to add a new DAC to the list he would need this DAC (e.g. as loaner) for some time in order to perform the measurements/tests for the corrections. This is only speculation, I do not how Jussi plans to expand this feature. Maybe he can drop some thoughts about that? @jlaako

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2024 at 7:40 AM Post #1,502 of 1,724
you guys that have tried DAC Correction, do you feel its better than higher DSD rates without the DAC Correction?

Jun 11, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #1,504 of 1,724
you guys that have tried DAC Correction, do you feel its better than higher DSD rates without the DAC Correction?
Depends on what your computer is capable to do really. Between 256 with correction and 512 without, I will always go with 256 with correction. Would be a different question if you are referring to lower rates say 64 with correction vs 128 without…

Jun 11, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #1,505 of 1,724
For Cyan 2, DSD256 and DAC Correction on was highest performance, IMO. Better than DSD512/Correction, which I could also compute without dropouts. I couldn't do DSD1024/Correction without frequent dropouts.

Jun 11, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #1,506 of 1,724
For Cyan 2, DSD256 and DAC Correction on was highest performance, IMO. Better than DSD512/Correction, which I could also compute without dropouts. I couldn't do DSD1024/Correction without frequent dropouts.
I know at the end of the day, it’s everyone’s subjective preference but there’s almost absolutely no reason to go beyond dsd512.

Dsd512 with correction can be nice for certain tracks and I switch between 256 and 512 on the fly a lot.

256 with correction at times can be a touch too forward for certain tracks…

Jun 12, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #1,507 of 1,724
Yes, use a rpi4 as a NAA then you bypass Asio driver and wasapi

I never had any driver issue with NAA with my cyan 2, mojo 2, Cayin ru6, dsc2, ifi pro idsd……
So I need to get a streamer to be able to get my RU7 to play higher rate DSD files?

Jun 12, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #1,509 of 1,724
Jun 12, 2024 at 3:54 AM Post #1,511 of 1,724
If one likes, it can be called an HQP specific (NAA) "streamer". :wink:

Jun 12, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #1,513 of 1,724
The raspberry pi 4 in my case is a hqplayer network adapter that runs the hqplayer NAA image. It is Linux based so no need to download asio or wasapi drivers for your dac
Well for the moment I don't have a raspberry or anything similar to play around with with NAA with HQP to bypass the drivers on my DACs, I'm planning on getting something like the Singxer SU-6 or Holo Audio's Red but that's in the future, I'm waiting on my Cyan 2 at the moment so that's going to take over my SMSL SU8s and my Cayin RU7 on DAC duty for my desktop setup, so I think I'm SOL on running DSD256 on my Cayin RU7, the curious thing is that I'm not able to run the ASIO drivers for this dongle even on Roon, I downloaded the latest drivers from Cayin for the RU7 but it doesn't seem to work either on Roon or HQP, tho the WASAPI drivers are giving me a great sound on it, I just wish I could upsample to DSD256 but unfortunately it seems it refuses to do the playback, I tried a bunch of different configs to see if I could jump start the ASIO drivers but nope, it doesn't work and I can't figure out why.

Jun 12, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #1,514 of 1,724
Well for the moment I don't have a raspberry or anything similar to play around with with NAA with HQP to bypass the drivers on my DACs, I'm planning on getting something like the Singxer SU-6 or Holo Audio's Red but that's in the future, I'm waiting on my Cyan 2 at the moment so that's going to take over my SMSL SU8s and my Cayin RU7 on DAC duty for my desktop setup, so I think I'm SOL on running DSD256 on my Cayin RU7, the curious thing is that I'm not able to run the ASIO drivers for this dongle even on Roon, I downloaded the latest drivers from Cayin for the RU7 but it doesn't seem to work either on Roon or HQP, tho the WASAPI drivers are giving me a great sound on it, I just wish I could upsample to DSD256 but unfortunately it seems it refuses to do the playback, I tried a bunch of different configs to see if I could jump start the ASIO drivers but nope, it doesn't work and I can't figure out why.
Yes a Holo Red is a raspberry pi 4 essentially with additional digital outputs to a dac.

Jun 12, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #1,515 of 1,724
NAA is a network endpoint, it does not stream.

You will need to stream from hqplayer to the NAA as a bridge to your dac
That is right in terms of the technical term. :wink:
But in the end in the world of the HQP player it has a similar / same functionality as a streamer.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back