HPs for gaming and music - MDR-V6?
Mar 26, 2014 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

imranh101

New Head-Fier
So, I do a lot of PC gaming. Like, too much. 
I currently have two perfectly-working pairs of headphones, one the Sony XB-600 and the other the Logitech UE4000.
I also listen to a lot of music, mainly electronic (Wolfang Gartner, Deadmau5, Bassnectar, etc.).

I love the two headphones for music but I know there is better, and someone locally is offering a late-80's pair of MDR-V6's for $40. 

I asked around about using either my current Sonys or Logis for PC gaming (looking for some decent virtual surround sound) and they said that my best bet would be to get something like the MDR-V6 and pair with a low-mid range soundcard like a Xonar. Would you agree? 

PS I mainly play FPS and other games with big boom-y sounds, I'm a huuuge fan of how Battlefield Bad Company 2 sounded if that means anything.

I guess long story short;
Would MDR-V6 + ~$50 sound card be good for both electronic music and virtual surround sound during intense PC gaming sessions?

Mar 26, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 8
I have never had a pair of the MDR-V6's but from what I understand, they have a pretty loyal following among broadcasters and radio personalities but I cannot comment on their SQ.

I do, however, play Battlefield (Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4) and I have the Xonar DG soundcard in my PC. For $30, the Xonar DG card is fantastic.  It has a built in headphone amp that does a great job and it has built in software for Dolby Headphone and simulated 7.1 surround.  Both the Dolby Headphone and simulated 7.1 surround work great for Battlefield thru my Sennheiser PC 360s. The sound stage in Battlefield played thru the Xonar DG and a good set of headphones/headset is unbelieveable !!

I can''t comment on the Sony's but I recommend that you give a look at Sennheiser as well.  They make some might fine headphones and headsets for PC gaming.  For $80 you could pick up either a pair of Sennheiser HD 515s, HD 518s, HD 555s or maybe even a HD 558.  All of which pair very well with the Xonar DG sound card. Sennheiser also makes the PC 320 (headset) which is not bad.  I prefer the PC 360 to the PC 320s but you may want to have a look at the PC 320s if you need/want a microphone also.

Mar 26, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 8
  I have never had a pair of the MDR-V6's but from what I understand, they have a pretty loyal following among broadcasters and radio personalities but I cannot comment on their SQ.

I do, however, play Battlefield (Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4) and I have the Xonar DG soundcard in my PC. For $30, the Xonar DG card is fantastic.  It has a built in headphone amp that does a great job and it has built in software for Dolby Headphone and simulated 7.1 surround.  Both the Dolby Headphone and simulated 7.1 surround work great for Battlefield thru my Sennheiser PC 360s. The sound stage in Battlefield played thru the Xonar DG and a good set of headphones/headset is unbelieveable !!

I can''t comment on the Sony's but I recommend that you give a look at Sennheiser as well.  They make some might fine headphones and headsets for PC gaming.  For $80 you could pick up either a pair of Sennheiser HD 515s, HD 518s, HD 555s or maybe even a HD 558.  All of which pair very well with the Xonar DG sound card. Sennheiser also makes the PC 320 (headset) which is not bad.  I prefer the PC 360 to the PC 320s but you may want to have a look at the PC 320s if you need/want a microphone also.

Which do YOU think would be the bigger upgrade - XB600/UE4000 to MDR-V6 ~OR~  on-board audio to Xonar DG/DX?

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 8
  Which do YOU think would be the bigger upgrade - XB600/UE4000 to MDR-V6 ~OR~  on-board audio to Xonar DG/DX?

Like I said, I have never had a pair of UE4000 or MDR-V6s so I know nothing about their performance.  However, I do have the Xonar DG and the sound upgrade, over the onboard sound of my PC, was substantial.  The Dolby Headphone feature, in particular, is a very nice upgrade to a traditional stereo setup.

The Xonar DG card has three levels of amplification (gain).  I run mine at the highest setting (exciter mode for headphones > 64 ohms) and have been very pleased with the results.  Is it the equivalent of a Class A headphone amp ?  Absolutely not.  But, it is a substantial upgrade over my onboard sound.

Keep in mind, this is from MY PERSPECTIVE.  YMMV....

Mar 27, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 8
Ended up getting a (used) pair of MDR-V6's for $40 and a Xonar DG for $30 and holy crap can I say, as a somewhat basshead, with an EQ moderately tuned towards bass, these things put out the smoothest bass I've ever hear in my life without getting muddy or anything.

As far as virtual surround goes, when I'm playing CS:GO for example, with Mumble in the background, things like my own footsteps and others voices sound "all around me" which is defintely sort of a virtual surround sound, but I can't quite as precisely tell where people are walking (Example hiding behind a box I used to be able to tell when someone was walking down a tunnel behind me). I can tell someone is walking around but the sound is just not as accurate. Any idea what setting may need changing? I tried swapping between different dolby and 7.1 options to no real avail.

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 8
Yea, it is difficult to pinpoint the exact direction someone is approaching.  I have noticed that too.  In Battlefield, you have to use the entire spectrum of sounds entering your ears to get a sense of the where the person is.  It takes some practice and I am not an all that good at it either.  However, for me, the simulated surround seems to give more of a 360 degree "effect" to the battlefield.  It's hard to explain.

Dolby Headphone seems to work best with music.  It brings the sound up front.  As if you are facing the artist/band as opposed to the artist/band being to your left/right with traditional stereo. 

I have to admit, now you have me curious about the MDR-V6s.  Gonna go look on eBay to see if I can pick up a deal on a pair.

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 8
  Fidelio x1 best all round mid budget gaming music movie can on the market

May be but the x1s are over twice as expensive as the OP's preference for headphones.  That kinda makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back