HPA-4 vs V281
Feb 29, 2020 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ls13coco

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, I know I've seen some comparisons on these two, but I am still highly indecisive and hoping to hear from more people, or in more detail, what they think of these two amps comparatively.
Am I giving up much planar current by going with the HPA-4?
Is the HPA-4 really cleaner sounding than the V281?
If it wasn't for the price difference, I probably would just go the Benchmark route but I'm curious if the difference really may be worth it at the end of the day.

Planned to be paired with a Topping D90, Arya, Empyrean, 712 Pro and LCD-4 (if I keep her).

:)

Mar 1, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 12
You could also consider the V280. Both it and the V281 are around half the price of the Benchmark.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #3 of 12
Hi I can reply you.

V281 is more warmer and musical by comparison. Even if its neutral and accentuates its sonic properties, its coloured by comparison to the HPA-4. And yes its more cleaner however, our hearing goes beyond the hearing threshold of transparency and resolution. HPA-4 is pure audio and everything is based on scientific measurements. One sound more natural and musical (subjective term) and other more anlaytical by nature but HPA-4 still sound natural and musical of course but more accurate and less emphasis on musical nature of it depending on the recording and dac source of your choice.

In terms of neutrality and flat FR accuracy, even the THX 789 beats the V281. Never say better just different and just pure science. If topping D90 is your choice, then both sound good and awesome.

Jun 7, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 12
Hi I can reply you.

V281 is more warmer and musical by comparison. Even if its neutral and accentuates its sonic properties, its coloured by comparison to the HPA-4. And yes its more cleaner however, our hearing goes beyond the hearing threshold of transparency and resolution. HPA-4 is pure audio and everything is based on scientific measurements. One sound more natural and musical (subjective term) and other more anlaytical by nature but HPA-4 still sound natural and musical of course but more accurate and less emphasis on musical nature of it depending on the recording and dac source of your choice.

In terms of neutrality and flat FR accuracy, even the THX 789 beats the V281. Never say better just different and just pure science. If topping D90 is your choice, then both sound good and awesome.

Do you have both the V281 and the HPA-4?

Jun 7, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 12

I think it would be very helpful if people did not comment on devices they don't own if they have not spent many hours listening to them some other way.

We have a rumor mill and it doesn't help to repeat other peoples' comments without verifying them personally.

Jun 7, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #8 of 12
But am good at impression. And most of the time, am always right ! I may not own them but have heard side by side. Is that good enough ?

It's up to you if you heard them side by side and think you can give a recommendation. That's better than some people here lately who just regurgitate whatever they read.

No offense, I think people ought to state very clearly what they know and not guess with other peoples' money.

Jun 7, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #10 of 12
You can't win 'em all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back