HP50 vs 99 Classics
May 23, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #31 of 45
That is the price we have to pay if you can not audition them first. Everyone hear things differently and no ones head are made the same. When you say boring they are not as bright ?
Lemme really try to describe the sound... They can be fun at times, but most of the time they sound smooth, and not interesting.

May 23, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #32 of 45
You are used to brighter sound signature is what you are finding out now. Not that is bad it just is what it is. I doubt you would have found the HP50's a whole lot different maybe a little more to your liking but not too much more exciting the highs are also as smooth . I think is does take about a week to get your brain to adjust to a different sound signature if you have only been listening to just one for a while as that is what your used to.

May 23, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #33 of 45
Lemme really try to describe the sound... They can be fun at times, but most of the time they sound smooth, and not interesting.

EQ them!

The textures that 99Classics have are not met in any closed back headphone at that price point, at least from what I listened to in-detail

Please read my review for more details on how to EQ them: https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.ro/2017/04/meze-99-classics.html

As for the comfort, I would suggest adjusting your ears inside the cups, like snuggling your ears in there for 10--30 seconds, I do this all the times and they feel heavenly!

May 23, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #34 of 45
You are used to brighter sound signature is what you are finding out now. Not that is bad it just is what it is. I doubt you would have found the HP50's a whole lot different maybe a little more to your liking but not too much more exciting the highs are also as smooth . I think is does take about a week to get your brain to adjust to a different sound signature if you have only been listening to just one for a while as that is what your used to.

I actually recommend EQ all the time! I don't get used to a signature, I tune the signature to my liking, 99C has one of the best textures in a headphone, it would be sad not to experience them as you like it best!

May 23, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #36 of 45
Probably shouldn't have expected the Meze to sound better than the DT770. I'm personally in the same boat when it comes to not really liking these mellow sounding headphones. If you're looking for more lively headphones that are closed, your options are limited. There are a plethora of bright open cans though.

May 23, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #37 of 45
I actually recommend EQ all the time! I don't get used to a signature, I tune the signature to my liking, 99C has one of the best textures in a headphone, it would be sad not to experience them as you like it best!
To each their own as I almost never use eq. So you don't get used to a sound signature so you make it what you want? To me that sounds boring as I like a bit of spice every now and then. If they all sounded alike then what is the point? I love the difference in my headphones as they bring a little something different to a song as do playing my D-28 as opposed to my 000-15 playing the same song. I've seen several bands in concert and several times they play the same song much different. Just my opinion.

May 23, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #38 of 45
Probably shouldn't have expected the Meze to sound better than the DT770. I'm personally in the same boat when it comes to not really liking these mellow sounding headphones. If you're looking for more lively headphones that are closed, your options are limited. There are a plethora of bright open cans though.
Yes the Alpha Dogs are no longer.

May 24, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #40 of 45
And yes, the texture of the 99C is pretty interesting in a good way :)

May 24, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #41 of 45
I'm starting to like the sound of the 99C, but the comfort still sucks. How would the B&W P7 compare to the 99C?

And yes, the texture of the 99C is pretty interesting in a good way :)

I'm glad you're getting to experience the awesome texture of Meze 99 Classics!!

It gets only better with every minute!

About the comfort, P7 is smaller and harder in general, I wouldn't think they are more comfortable for most people unless you really wanted on-ears.

99Classics can be worn over the ear for most people, even for me, and the pads take some time to break in and achieve perfect flexibility, I would suggest to continue using them until you reach the sweet spot. I wanted to get a pair of HM5 to see how they fit together, but didn't manage yet. All in all, 99C are one of the most comfortable headphones I've tested and I actually found them better than most beyers, with beyers the problem for me being cup depth and weight, where 99C is light and the cups are deep enough.

Another thing to consider is that with my Ultrasone DJ1P, the cups were far larger but shallow, one single screw would be touching the ear and would cause bad pain, where with 99C the cups don't have any screws exposed and are comfortable even after hours of usage.

At least in my honest experience.

I would want a HD600 or HD800S when I can get one, those are really comfy as well, I would rate 99C close with my head and ear shape and size.

May 24, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #42 of 45
I don't have big ears at all and my ears touch the drivers on the Meze I think they are very shallow compared to a lot others but still doesn't bother me. The HD-6x0's are comfortable once stretched out a bit to relieve the clamp pressure. The 800's along with my 700's are very spacious and comfortable. My most comfy can is Koss ESP-950's you hardly know they are on your head and the new Vespar pads make them even more so comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back