hp1000 appreciation thread
Dec 1, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #16 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by seasterl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I have not heard any of Joseph Grado's headphones. I've owned RS1 and SR325 (but sold them). I'd love to own a set of GS1000, though. I cannot think of any stereo component that has not improved over time. (Not comparing CD & SS vs. older technology vinyl & tubes, but comparing a single companies product line's maturing over time,... like Grado's).

So for the record, having never heard the older Joseph Grado's headphones, are they better than the new (John Grado) GS1000? Don't say "well, uh, they're different." John Grado claims to have maintained the same Grado flavor (or sound), so I'd guess the GS1000 are the best (if not, then the RS1). Are you guys saying "not so, but the older ones?" I don't have $1k+ to try and experiment for myself, but trust the general consensus on this forum. If the older HP2/3/4 is best, I won't buy a new GS1000 from Grado but seek out the older set.

Transducer technology in headphones has gone nowhere in the last 20 or so years. I find the AKG K1000 to be far and away better than any current in production headphone I've heard, no matter how new they are; the K1000 is a 19 year old design. My Stax Lambda Signature has the thinnest diaphragm ever made in an electrostatic headphone; that was considered a technologically advanced thing, and is considerably harder to do than a thicker diaphragm. However, for whatever reason, Stax stopped making them that thin, and "backtracked" a bit. John Grado's transducers are no more technologically advanced than Joe Grado's, either. Nothing in them is available now but wasn't then. The only thing that's really changed in the past ten years or so is the digital realm.

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #18 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about the difference between hp1and hp2,3(assuming that 2 and 3 sound very similar, if not same)? anyone?

nominal differences at best.

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #20 of 86
I have owned 3 HP's within the past year, this is my 3rd one and I definitely am not letting this one go anytime soon.

DSCF0087.JPG

DSCF0092.JPG

I think these cans look absolutely gorgeous. All metal, heavy duty construction, they feel real solid on your head, yet they look pretty slick and elegant to me.

Even though I have owned them for a while, I still have a hard time really pinning down their sonic signature. They can change drastically from one system to the next, and seem to react in a very transparent manner to whatever it is hooked up to. Overall, the bass impact is amazing, and the bass is some of the tightest and grooviest bass I have heard. Midrange is beautiful, very open sounding yet present, you can feel the midrange but it is very clear to hear through the midrange into the low and high frequencies. The highs are very natural sounding and their is some nice sparkle, to some they can sound dull but to me they sound just right.

Overall they are a very balanced headphone, the transitions between low/mids/highs are incredibly smooth and cohesive. The presentation is slightly on the laid back side, farther back in the soundstage then the RS-1 but not as far back as the GS-1000. I just fall into the music everytime with my HP-1000's, but it definitely helps having a Meridian G08 and Eddie Current HD-25 and Zana to pair it with as well
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #21 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nominal differences at best.

I concur - even though i have experienced a significant difference between the standard and ultra wide bandwidth cable.

Dec 1, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #22 of 86
I'd have to say that the HP-1000's appeal to me more to than any other high end headphone, except for maybe the K1000.

I'll never own a pair, but luckily there's going to be some mods available in the near future for the MS2i, which gives me a glimmer of hope of obtaining something near the HP-1000's.

Dec 1, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #23 of 86
Telling non-move of my Head-Fi life: once I got an HP2, I stopped upgrading in the area of open dynamic cans. For someone who loves the greener side of the fence, that in itself is a testament to how well the HP-1000 feeds the beast. And if it ever gets droll, the Stax Lambdas are there as a change of pace - then back to the HP2!
lambda.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #24 of 86
since i got my hp1000 i have also stopped upgrading my dynamic cans.

i was going to write something about making most music sound better. umm, music with "global distortion" done after recording (nirvana in utero for example) still sounds like crap. but the unplugged album is the most wow thing ever.

but the sound of a crinkle in the music is disturbingly real! ever hear a speaker with a cone crumple/wrinkle? yea, it makes me afraid. this is a good thing.

Dec 1, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #25 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd have to say that the HP-1000's appeal to me more to than any other high end headphone, except for maybe the K1000.

I'll never own a pair, but luckily there's going to be some mods available in the near future for the MS2i, which gives me a glimmer of hope of obtaining something near the HP-1000's.

my woody ms2i sounds somewhat similar to hp2..
thinking of getting another pair with cardas.. but well.. i'll see..

Dec 1, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #26 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Transducer technology in headphones has gone nowhere in the last 20 or so years. I find the AKG K1000 to be far and away better than any current in production headphone I've heard, no matter how new they are; the K1000 is a 19 year old design. My Stax Lambda Signature has the thinnest diaphragm ever made in an electrostatic headphone; that was considered a technologically advanced thing, and is considerably harder to do than a thicker diaphragm. However, for whatever reason, Stax stopped making them that thin, and "backtracked" a bit. John Grado's transducers are no more technologically advanced than Joe Grado's, either. Nothing in them is available now but wasn't then. The only thing that's really changed in the past ten years or so is the digital realm.

Not to dis the cable companies, but didn't John Grado improve upon the cable used. I called up Grado asking about it and they seem pretty proud of the cable their now using. It's normal to think that it would make a big difference, although I think most of the time cable "upgrades" are more smoke and mirrors anyway since they don't even change the frequency response (like Grissom says on CSI, "believe the evidence"). Anyway, it sound like the love for the older Joe Grado cans bears that out, too. Lastly, those older Grados (pics above) are some of the best looking (if not the very best) that I've ever seen. I'd much prefer their looks over the current Grado line. It makes me want to buy them. (Thanks for posting that beautiful pic!)

Dec 1, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #27 of 86
they are beautiful headphones... unfortunately I doubt I will be able to afford a pair in this half of my lifetime
tongue.gif

here are some photos I took with my 1D & 17-40L at the 6/10/06 florida meet

E5DD8926_filtered.jpg

E5DD8929_filtered.jpg

E5DD8962_filtered.jpg

E5DD8964_filtered.jpg

E5DD8970_filtered.jpg

Dec 1, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #30 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by seasterl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to dis the cable companies, but didn't John Grado improve upon the cable used. I called up Grado asking about it and they seem pretty proud of the cable their now using. It's normal to think that it would make a big difference, although I think most of the time cable "upgrades" are more smoke and mirrors anyway since they don't even change the frequency response (like Grissom says on CSI, "believe the evidence"). Anyway, it sound like the love for the older Joe Grado cans bears that out, too. Lastly, those older Grados (pics above) are some of the best looking (if not the very best) that I've ever seen. I'd much prefer their looks over the current Grado line. It makes me want to buy them. (Thanks for posting that beautiful pic!)

i dont think that they improved on the jgsuwbrc. i think the improvement was made to what was the sold standard cable to make the rs-1 cable.

having dissected a jgsubwrc to put a 4-pin xlr on my pair, i can tell you that its construction is significant. there are 8 strands of a thick cotton yarn on the outside of the spiral. there are 4 conductors, made of copper with the copper strands wound around a core of fiber fore each wire. there is also a monofillament in the center of the spiral. i was expecting the cable to be more like the cardas hedphone cable, its nothing like it. i do use the cardas as my 1/4"trs --> 4pin adapter though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back