HP100, DT880, Q701, Mad Dogs, etc
Aug 27, 2013 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

potatoos

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a pair of fullsized headphones. My main concern is accuracy and detail, but that doesn't mean that I want to listen to a tin can. Accurate bass means that it hits hard when needed, and doesn't show when it isn't needed. I want to make sure that that is true of the headphones that I get. My price range is very flexible, but keeping it around $200 is preferable. I know that the headphones in the title have very different sound signatures, but without having listened to them myself, I can't say which one I would prefer the most. I am pretty sure that I would prefer the analytical sounding cans over anything else, but hey, I might the dark, laid back sound of the Mad Dogs more than anything else. Any other recommendations for this price range are welcome. Also, I have an E17, but do plan on getting a Magni (especially so if it is needed, but I would prefer to not need to get it now, as it would increase the price of my purchase).

Aug 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 4
The Dt880's are the most detailed out of the list without sounding thin. I very much disliked the K701 because it was lacking in bass and therefore sounded very thin. Match the 880's with a nice tube amp like the Little Dot MK2 or MK3 and you have a wonderful setup. Haven't heard the Mad Dogs or HP100 so I can't comment on them.

You also might want to consider the SRH940.

Aug 27, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I am looking for a pair of full sized headphones. My main concern is accuracy and detail, but that doesn't mean that I want to listen to a tin can. Accurate bass means that it hits hard when needed, and doesn't show when it isn't needed. I want to make sure that that is true of the headphones that I get. My price range is very flexible, but keeping it around $200 is preferable. I know that the headphones in the title have very different sound signatures, but without having listened to them myself, I can't say which one I would prefer the most. I am pretty sure that I would prefer the analytical sounding cans over anything else, but hey, I might the dark, laid back sound of the Mad Dogs more than anything else. Any other recommendations for this price range are welcome. Also, I have an E17, but do plan on getting a Magni (especially so if it is needed, but I would prefer to not need to get it now, as it would increase the price of my purchase).

The Fiio E17 should not have a problem driving any headphone between 16 to 300-Ohm.

Check out the Philips 1X/28 headphones, as they are only 30-Ohm, easy for the E17 to drive.
or Audio Technica ATH-A900X (closed) & AD900X (open) headphones, they are only 40-Ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back