HP-1000 Owners--Drivers Fall Out? Loose Hex Bolts? Help!
Jan 8, 2010 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

champ

Head-Fier
Not too long ago I bought a pair of HP-2s. The first thing I did was slide the ear pads off to wash them. To my horror, both drivers slipped out as though they were never properly bolted in at all. I enquired with the previous owner and the reason given was: "The hex screws have a tendency to wiggle loose during shipping".

Is it possible for FOUR hex bolts on BOTH drivers come loose from 2 days shipping in plush foam? Has anyone experienced this?

When I expressed my sceptism about all bolts coming loose from shipping, and that they don't seem to have been tightened at all, I received this information:

"I have found the headphones sound best when the hex screws have minimal tension. Too much tension and they can distort the plastic driver housing causing distortion"

Is this true?

Here's the worst part--since the drivers were not bolted in and capable of moving and subsequently falling out one of the wires in the left driver has come attached. What am I supposed to do? Is it a simple soldering job? I do not have a soldering iron but if I acquire one, do I just melt the copper back into the silver lump of metal that it detached from?

If other HP-1000 owners have any experiences of this sort, I'd appreciate knowing before I panic too much and ask for a refund.

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 10
Is it possible for you to post some pics, so the folks can see and give you the best advice possible, cos at this point I would say ask for an fully refund.

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #3 of 10
Ask for partial or full refund/return of headphones, depending on how bad you want to keep it. I somehow doubt tightening hex bolts all the way will cause distortion unless there's something else messed up about the headphone.

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #4 of 10
Here are some pics of the wire that got disconnected.
Sorry I have a great camera, but tonight only the phone camera [removed]

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #5 of 10
Do you have all parts to put it together? If yes, you may just do, cos it looks like someone was interested in taking a look inside the cups, instead of making the sound better. Another option, which may be the better one, just to ask Mr. Grado to fix it, however its going to cost you of course, but you will be sure that they will bring them to their stock look. I am not sure about soldering, must be not that difficult if your havent shaking hands
wink.gif

One last thought. You may ask the seller to pay 50% of the total repair cost that Grado may charge you, if you going that way. I would say, call Grado and find out the total repair costs, it may not be that much as you think, good luck to you.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks everyone, going to work it out with seller.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 10
Yep, just to reiterate, I definitely wouldn't try and solder the wire back on. Just leave it until you communicate with the seller.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 10
This doesn't sound like anything that cannot be fixed. Tightening bolts is not a big deal.

Resoldering the wire can be tricky, however, it can be done.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 10
I've owned five different HP2s and none of what this guy said is true...at all.

I have no doubt he sold them to you in that condition. Get a refund asap.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #10 of 10
A resolution has been reached. Refund has been agreed on. Seller is a reasonable person. Thank you all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back