HowTo: Build an Ultra-Slim LOD Cable
Jan 3, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #61 of 145
maybe for you they were but for me it takes about 3 weeks to get anything from them and they are more expensive. because the qables cart adjusts if yoiu arent in the EU while ridax doesnt change. so they are more expensive and slower for me LOL
atsmile.gif
qables takes about 1 week to get here and usually shipped the same day I order. plus I like hans hes a good man to deal with. not that I have anything against the guys at ridax; they just havent been as responsive as hans and I havent got to know any of them.

Jan 3, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #62 of 145
I have to say I'm not fussed I only use the guts anyway. so it doesnt matter to me how big the casing is LOL

Jan 3, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #63 of 145
Yeah qables isnt as expensive as i thought, doing the calculations with the actual currency rates rather than the ones im used to for quick calculations. This fall, qables would have been a lot more expensive since the USD was so low, I'm still used to thinking that way.

Now however qables is cheaper, especially if you order a lot. The customer service part should matter more, ridax has been very quick with me but i dont see them on the forum.

Either way, i really recommend these connectors - they are sooo much smaller than the normal ones and that helps a lot IMO.

edit:
conns.jpg

Feb 5, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #64 of 145
p2051572.jpg

The wires come out from the side of the low profile dock. U just got to file a square hole at the side and thats it. The wires are mundorf twisted with silver plated copper wires and then braided. 6 strands of wires in total. Plug used was a modded Switchcraft right angle.

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #65 of 145
Awesome thread. This is extremely helpful because I've always thought the LOD interface felt really fragile.

beerchug.gif
beyersmile.png

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #66 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have one of those dock connectors, but my girlfriends ipod came with one. I think that if you can cut a nice hole in the side and neatly plug the hole in the back, you can make the nicest looking low-profile LOD this way.

For the wire I'd be using, there will be plenty of space. Believe me, some docks I have made are even more low-profile than that and have even less space.

As for the locking mechanism, the cable I tried locks very well with the spring loaded prongs it comes with. It would actually lock better than the method currently used by bending the pressure points on the metal plug.

yeah its not the profile thats the problem, its the thickness of the braid with the wire I use (22AWG jena and 20AWG cryo silver) I have the wires quite literally soldered up against the edge of the connector, cant get any more low profile than that., but its the thickness, the damn thickness. plus I actually like doing it with putty as I end up with a totally seamless part with no gaps anywhere. its more work, but I find the result pleasing. especially now I have found that the brand of epoxy putty I have found to be the best (milliput) comes in black
o2smile.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #67 of 145
It isn't the purtiest LOD around, but it sure sounds amazing!
Made with DNM Reson 0,5mm solid core copper! Costs about $15 a foot..
supersmallLOD.jpg

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #68 of 145
Hi there Punnisher what cable are you using here, could you give me a link please.

xx

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #69 of 145
Okay then, could somebody show me a store that will sell wire like this, silver-plated or not, im not bothered, but it must be located in the UK (or somewhere with low shipping costs to the UK e.g eBay).

Thanks in advanced.

xx

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #70 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayzei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay then, could somebody show me a store that will sell wire like this, silver-plated or not, im not bothered, but it must be located in the UK (or somewhere with low shipping costs to the UK e.g eBay).

Thanks in advanced.

xx

hificollective.com is in the UK, they use expensive shipping for most other countries and some of their stuff isnt that cheap, but that seems to be the way of it in the UK for this stuff. although with the strange exchange rates between UK and USA probabvly doesnt work out any more expensive and cheaper/quicker shipping for you. they have all manner of great stuff; they dont really have much really cheap stuff, but you will get great copper, SPC or pure silver wire there along with pretty much everything else you need including tools. they have great resistors and caps there too. check it out man.

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #71 of 145
Wow, that tut's really straightforward, and fairly noob-friendly. I approve.

Furthermore;
That's a pretty nice camera you've got there. Able to capture all the tiny details at such a close range. I approve.

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #73 of 145
good job!

May 8, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #74 of 145
Hey guys, I am a n00b to headfi and pretty new to DIY in general.

I've had the SE530s for 2 years now, and just realized how much better they sound with a headphone amp. I have good circuit experience, so I built a good mini3 amp. Now I am looking to make this great LOD to connect.
However, one of the things I feel dumb asking, but need to ask, is what do you guys think is the best wire for this LOD (or LODs in general for that matter) and where can I purchase this wire??

Any help would be appreciated, thanks so much.

May 8, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #75 of 145
I've made a few of these and find it a lot easier to remove all the pins, solder the three needed, then push them carefully back in, making note of their orientation ,eg, upside down. I got tired of the heat un-terminating the adjacent pins, cheers
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back