How's the weather in Scotland?
Sep 1, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #31 of 34
i quite agree duggeh, i was born in stirling and have been in edinburgh for the last 10 years or so and people are forever hearing my and friends accents and seem shocked we all sound more like we are from the home counties than something out of rab c nesbit.

england and scotland are different/the same as canada/us and oz/nz are.

Sep 1, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #32 of 34
This trip is one of those guided tours... it's a family trip. I think most of the touristy things will be visited including the major cities, but the downside is a lack of free time.

I was mainly concerned about dressing properly for the weather... it looks like I'll have to be prepared for anything, as opposed to the constant sun and heat of home. Does it look like a mostly sunny or mostly rainy forcast?

It was pretty ironic (and difficult) having to buy a jacket on a blazing hot day yesterday. Is an umbrella really any good or will it be too windy? And with regard to dan1son's comment, some people around here do tend to dress overly casual with ratty t-shirts, shorts and flip-flops, but I'm not a fan of that look. I'll still look like a tourist, but hopefully not a slob! I'll stick to my denim and comfortable shoes though.

That's quite a read, Duggeh... although the detailed analysis certainly makes me a tad more nervous at the pubs than I should be! Are the drinks served at room temperature like the pubs in England? I know the tourists there were pretty surprised by that.

We don't get to stay overnight in Edinburgh (is it pronounced like Edin-borough... I need to pick up the cool accents), but rather in Dunfermline. Is that a bad thing? And why all the negativity about Glasgow? My speakers were built in Glasgow... that's all I know :p

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #33 of 34
Don't bother with umbrella, just wear waterproof jacket and trousers, a good pair of worn in boots, windproof fleece and a change of clothes in your backpack. Are you doing rambling or just getting off the coach into a pub/cafe?

Sep 1, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #34 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, try to dress up like this if any possible, so you don't stand out from the crowd:

roger-leprechaun.jpg

That Chris de Burgh really gets around. Athlone really is Ireland's heart. ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back