How's Head-Fi doing? Post your impressions!
Jan 19, 2004 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

NewSc2

500+ Head-Fier
I haven't been an active member for most of the past half year or so (disregarding the last couple months), so it's fun coming back here and seeing everybody's post count balloon while mines is still Senior Member. (nm, I mean 500+ member)

Funny how I remember Lou (LTUCCI1924) posting around here when we were both head-fi noobs (you don't mind me calling you that, do you Lou?), and it's good to see how much Head-Fi has grown. I remember searching through both Head-Fi and HeadWize (when it existed) FS/FT boards for my first pair of HD580's (ended buying it on eBay refurb - $128 + $5 willcall pickup fee). There was nowhere near the traffic head-fi's been receiving these days, and I must say head-fi's one of the more mature audio forums there are on the net.

Even though I see quite a bit of bad information being thrown around (there always will be), there simply is no comparison to other audio boards. When other forums' members ask about comparisons between Thiels, Dynaudio's, etc., somebody has to be a speaker dealer to have intimate knowledge of all mentioned speakers. At head-fi, seeing members with several different types of headphones is not uncommon, and with headphones critical listening is much easier than with speakers. I'm still amazed to see how thriving our DIY community is, the discussion on all of the products, the meets, the dealer/manufacturer person-to-person support, and more.

Good job head-fi!

Also, (to mods?) how's the membership/bandwidth doing these days? I've noticed head-fi's been getting laggy on peak hours, and I was curious as to the state of head-fi.

Jan 19, 2004 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 14
This really is one of my favorite forums. I think it's a great site and all, but as any forum, could use some improvements structure-wise.

Jan 19, 2004 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 14
Probably one of the friendliest and most helpful forums on the internet
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by mxs1030
Probably one of the friendliest and most helpful forums on the internet
smily_headphones1.gif

Seconded. I just hope the exponential growth of head-fi does not change that.

Jan 19, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 14
What do you mean by "exponential growth"? Never heard that phrase before.

Anyway, I must say that what we need to encourage is posting, and posting helpfully. Whenever I create a thread, I often find view-to-post ratios in excess of view
tongue.gif
ost 50:1. We need to encourage people who have something to contribute to the threadin any way to post, because I often create threads that I get absolutely no help with. Also, we need people to post effectively:

Let's say the question is: Are these Grado SR-80's I own a good headphone? I listen to a variety of music, but my main genre is Classic Rock.

Quote:

UNHELPFUL
yo that sux man those phones hav horible sound yo their trash throw them out

Quote:

UNHELPFUL
are you ********* insane? you have no f**kin idea what your talking about those ********* phones ********* sux man. get a ********* life!!

Quote:

UNHELPFUL
MERTON, the worst poster ever to hit the boards. PERIOD.

Quote:

HELPFUL
In my recent review of the SR-80's, found HERE (link provided), I've outlined the major features and characteristics of the SR-80's. IMO, they're good phones for the money, and are quite suitable for your music tastes (rock). The detailed highs are considered harsh by some, but it looks like you will like this feature. Bass is fast and deep without being overly bloated, so you will enjoy them. Midrange is pretty smooth, although not of major concern for you. Enjoy your headphones.

I admit it. I am unhelpful and useless sometimes, but I try to contribute in a positive, useful way whenever possible.

Jan 19, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 14
I am not familiar with very many other web forums. Of the few I have been to this one is the best. Most of the people here are courteous and helpful.

The growing pains are subsiding, and we are still maintaining that close knit feeling. I wish some of those that left would come back. I really miss a couple of those guys.
frown.gif

I agree with MD1032 about people not posting in response to questions. I see some threads that have a bunch of views and no posts. I will look at the thread, but usually I don't have any thing constructive to say, or no knowledge of the subject, so I can't make a post. But I have added to a thread with something fairly useless to just try and get it to take off, if it has set unanswered for a long time.

exponential growth is non linear. Kinda like if you have 5 new members one day, you would have 10 new members the next and 30 the day after. I'm not good at explaining things, maybe somebody else will step in and do a better job of it.

Jan 19, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 14
Linear Growth
y=ax+b
ex: y=7x+8
I have eight dollars in the bank. Every day I get paid 7 dollars which I add to the money I have in the bank. x=number of days I've worked, y= total money

Exponential growth
y=a*b^x
ex: y=3*(.5^x)
Uh, a little trickier. I have an radioactive isotope blah which has a half life of one day. Every day blah sits there, it decreases by one-half. x=number of days, y=amount of blah left.

I learned this in Algebra...forgot which course.

Ok...that made no sense. But it was an attempt!

I admit I do useless posts from time to time, but it's only when I want to try and help the person and they have gotten a few dozen views and no replies. A semi-helpful reply is better than none at all. Or least that's what I think.

Jan 19, 2004 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 14
haha, MD1032, where did you find that MERTONism file? thats top shelf stuff =)

anyways, I came to this board after only being on the HardForum before and it's great here. It's quite good that it's dealing in a niche market, and therefore no matter how much members disagree over somethings, there's still a common interest underpinning it...

g

Jan 19, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Oddball

Exponential growth
y=a*b^x
ex: y=3*(.5^x)

It won't be exponential growth unless b > 1. If 0 < b < 1 we call it exponential decay. Usually, to standarize notation we write:

n = a (e ^ kt), where a is the value at time 0 (also called n_0), e is the natural base (2.71...), and we have growth when k > 1 and decay when k < 1.

Jan 19, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
It won't be exponential growth unless b > 1. If 0 < b < 1 we call it exponential decay. Usually, to standarize notation we write:

n = a (e ^ kt), where a is the value at time 0 (also called n_0), e is the natural base (2.71...), and we have growth when k > 1 and decay when k < 1.

You guys are starting to scare me.
biggrin.gif

Head-fi.org is my current obsession now. I am glad I did not find this board earlier. My wallet would not have been prepared.

-Ed

Jan 19, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #11 of 14
I agree with a bunch of dumb responses going around, and with threads diverting from the first topic. I've typed in a response several times, only having to browse through the other responses and figure that mine won't make a difference.

That said, whenever knowledgeable Head-Fi'ers have a good discussion, some golden threads can be found. Also apart from the whole "flavor of the month" headphone phenomena that we seem to have around here, the general level of information being passed around and contained in our archives are more than enough.

Of course when somebody (me, specifically) sits down and tries to get a good read on something new like... Ety ER-4P vs. Shure E3c... a lot of figuring out which posts are more knowledgeable takes place. Of course, like I said before, there are several people out there with ER-4P's and E3c's (not many, however), and I take these comments into consideration.

That, of course, will always be a problem no matter what (AMD vs. Intel, PC vs. Apple, iPod vs. the rest), so I'm willing to deal with all the fanboys.

Jan 20, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Anyway, I must say that what we need to encourage is posting, and posting helpfully.

Well, I certainly agree about the "posting helpfully" part, but in many cases I think we need to discourage posting. Seems to me there is a lot of misinformation being posted lately. People either stating their opinion as fact or stating something outright wrong as fact. Just because you read it somewhere, even on this forum, doesn't make it true unless you know and trust the original poster. Even then, it shouldn't be posted as fact, but referenced as something you've read.

Maybe it's just because I'm more knowledgeable about this subject than I once was, but as I said this seems to be a growing problem. It takes more and more time to sort through all of the BS to find accurate, useful information. That may be what has driven some of the long-time but conspicuously absent members away.

It's up to the membership to call people on this behavior. I see a lot of us doing that, and we need to continue, or the whole thing will disintegrate into a bunch of worthless drivel.

Jan 20, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #14 of 14
I'm in agreement about "posting helpfully" and wish more members would at least be honest enough to preface their comments with statements like:

"I've never heard any of the cans/amps/cables that I'm about to blabber on about, but I am prepared to argue about it for days if that will help build my post count."

That being said, I kind of liked the math discussion in this thread and thought it was funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back