How's Grace M902 balanced compare to Headroom desktop balanced?
Jan 10, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 20
hmmmm .... I think you are comparing apples and oranges here. The Grace M902 does not have balanced output - just balanced inputs via xlr. The headphone and preamp outs are se. While the Grace is an outstanding dac, preamp, and headphone amp, it is NOT a balanced amp.

Jan 10, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 20
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ah, that's very interesting, m21asph. Thanks for the link to the m902 factory mod - I didn't realize Grace offered that. Going from 1/4" trs to xlr is just an adapter issue, no biggie. The real issue is that even with those balanced outs, they are pre amp outs, not headphone outs, so they may not be as good as the HeadRoom Balanced DT with cans.

Definitely worth a shootout, though, and will definitely compete with the Lavrys and Benchmarks out there.

Jan 10, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 20
1. grace's dac is so so.....far from dac1's completeness
2. grace's pre is good but not great enough to go for balance (i couldn't really think of its advantages of balance from its whole current circuit design and bal in sucks)
3. grace's headphone amp is OK but it could be much better if you can remove junk opamp in there to get real amp power.

IMHO, I'd better wait and see DAC1 Pre's review first and I'm really royal grace's user but couldn't agree more for its poor balance part.

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2. grace's pre is good but not great enough to go for balance (i couldn't really think of its advantages of balance from its whole current circuit design and bal in sucks)
3. grace's headphone amp is OK but it could be much better if you can remove junk opamp in there to get real amp power.

IMHO, I'd better wait and see DAC1 Pre's review first and I'm really royal grace's user but couldn't agree more for its poor balance part.

WindowsX, thanks for this objective take on the M902. Always best when it comes from a devoted owner. Revises my perception of this studio quality DAC/amp. Now maybe I won't be lusting after her so much.
redface.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Regarding point #2, doesn't the grace balanced upgrade page mentions that the preamp circuit is changed to that of the XLR higher current ones as its bigger siblings m904/906?

I like the m902 over the dac1. For me it is has better presentation, soundstage and it is more neutral. But those are just personal preferences, heh.

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 20
Dac1 is more natural. Try using dac1 to grace and you'll realize why (oh, stop using cheap cables also, mine is valhalla rca and bal in sucks)

About circuit, grace is class T amplifier, uses only less than 200ma power consumption. bal won't be really needed after all. Instead of making bal out support, I think grace should improve bal in for louder sound, more dynamic range not something dull compared to RCA ones.

my 2 cents from over $10k rig with grace.

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Dac1 is more natural. Try using dac1 to grace and you'll realize why (oh, stop using cheap cables also, mine is valhalla rca and bal in sucks)

About circuit, grace is class T amplifier, uses only less than 200ma power consumption. bal won't be really needed after all. Instead of making bal out support, I think grace should improve bal in for louder sound, more dynamic range not something dull compared to RCA ones.

my 2 cents from over $10k rig with grace.

dude/dudette, you are free to express your opinions and preferences, but do not tell me what to do or what to try! I usually make my own decisions just fine. I have had the dac1 in my system for an extended period and preferred the m902. If you read my post, I am just pointing out that the manufacturer claims the upgraded balanced circuit is of better specs than that of the original m902 pre-amps out.

As far as how much $ you have associated with your equipment it is irrelevant to the point I raised in the original post. FYI, you cannot buy experience/knowledge.

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #12 of 20
Dac1's headamp is so-so, not really great. I think grace m902 drives HD650 far better than dac1 itself.

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #14 of 20
I don't think m902 will perform well with balance set (but you can try balance upgrade with TRS connector and new balance circuit if you want)

Feb 1, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #15 of 20
The Benchmark DAC1 is pretty neutral. That's why it sounds a bit bright on linear frequency response headphones.

The Grace 901/m902's headphone amp section is a bit sweeter (a bit of coloration, but a welcome coloration) than that of the Benchmark DAC1. Thus, it doesn't sound as bright when driving linear frequency response headphones.

I actually like this kind of coloration, not too much, just a little bit, takes the edge off some of the high frequency sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back