Howie Day, anyone?
Jun 16, 2006 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
I know I'm a bit late to this game, as "Stop All the World Now" has been out since late 2004. But I've really been enjoying this album for the past week.

Haven't seen much of any banter here about him. Is he too pedestrian for this hip crowd, or what?

Jun 17, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
I know I'm a bit late to this game, as "Stop All the World Now" has been out since late 2004. But I've really been enjoying this album for the past week.

What do you mean you don't have "Australia"?
eek.gif

SATWN is a nice little Album no doubt, but you have not lived, much less listened to Howie Day unless you've heard "Australia". It is his best effort by now, everything that came later pales against it. You need to listen to "She Says", "Secret", "Ghost", "Kristina" & "More You Understand".

I was in the lucky position to see him live when he toured with Tori Amos a few years back. He was mesmerizing, developing the whole incredible complexity of the songs with just his guitar and a frightening array of foot-paddle controlled loops.

Oct 7, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
What do you mean you don't have "Australia"?
SATWN is a nice little Album no doubt, but you have not lived, much less listened to Howie Day unless you've heard "Australia". It is his best effort by now, everything that came later pales against it. You need to listen to "She Says", "Secret", "Ghost", "Kristina" & "More You Understand".

I was in the lucky position to see him live when he toured with Tori Amos a few years back. He was mesmerizing, developing the whole incredible complexity of the songs with just his guitar and a frightening array of foot-paddle controlled loops.

ahhh...the magic of Howie and his line6 pedals....
livepedalsetup2largecs9.jpg

Howie Day, live solo is where it’s at...

The Madrigals EP comes with a bonus DVD that contains a 30 minute live solo set featuring the guitar and vocal looping that made him famous. Without a doubt I consider it the most amazing piece of music that I own. If you are a Howie Day fan and only know him for his studio material, you have to grab this DVD…the sound quality is excellent, especially if you have a 5.1 system…

http://www.amazon.com/Madrigals-Bonu...e=UTF8&s=music

You can also download his concerts from the live music archive on archive.org from but it's hard to find the good ones. The 04/28/02 concert at Berklee is the only one I've found that comes close to matching the quality (sound and performance) of the madrigals recording:

http://www.archive.org/details/hday2...28.matrix.shnf

Unfortunately, the old days of his amazing solo act have long passed. I saw him live with his band in August 2005 and he showed up too drunk to perform well and lacked the coordination to pull off any looping. He did try looping his vocals once but it failed miserably so he gave up within seconds. The show was a huge disappointment.

Oct 7, 2006 at 8:23 AM Post #5 of 7
I saw Howie Day once. He and 3 other bands opened for O.A.R. at a small concert venue here in the Phoenix area. I thought his looping techniques were pretty cool, but I just didn't really get into the music. Maybe it was just the particular situation because it was 110° or something like that. O.A.R. was an awesome live experience, and would be in ANY weather.

Well, I'm sorry, that kind of derailed and is a little off-topic.

Oct 7, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)

I got to catch them perform together too and it was pretty sweet

And I also have to second jagstyle's recommendation of "the Madrigals" EP. Worth it just for the DVD and the EP is a bonus

Oct 7, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose Perez
And I also have to second jagstyle's recommendation of "the Madrigals" EP. Worth it just for the DVD and the EP is a bonus

Aaaa, now you've made me search for the DVD. The common dilemma, there is no way I would forgo physical media, but finding a single CD is pretty hard. Found it though, maybe I'll pop it in later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back