how would you spend $1000 from scratch?
Aug 22, 2018 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

BusyPooping

Head-Fier
If you had nothing but your phone, how would you spend $1000 on building up your audio setup?

I’m currently in the process of learning everything I can about this hobby.

I’ve been talking to a few people and getting recommendations as well as reading reviews.

I keep going back and forth on a lot of things, but I think one thing I am saving towards is a pair of andromeda’s to use on my iPhone X. I did go ahead and purchase a used iematch, but haven’t really made any other purchases yet.

A friend told me I should look at what headphones I get first, then source, and then something else third... but I forget what that was. I’m still trying to figure out the first two.

At first I was thinking she 846’s and maybe a chord mojo.

Then I thought maybe an se535 with a dap like the dx200.

But now I’m thinking andromeda’s and possibly a chord mojo.

But I’ve also thought about everything else. From the astell & kern, shure kse series, cheaper campfire audios and an lg v30. Idk what to do anymore.

I’m also learning about what my sound signature is. I think it’s warm and smooth but I’m not quite sure.

I’m looking for portability and I’ve listened to 535’s, 846’s, and westone w60’s I think.

When I tried them, I only had them for a week at a time and felt like the shure 846’s were more enjoyable to listen to... but I couldn’t imagine having paid full retail for it. Same with the others.

Now that I’m looking to keep a pair for a while, I’m searching used and for a good pair that I can have for a while before wanting to upgrade.

Anyways, if you had to start with $1000, how would you spend it on building your setup?

Aug 22, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 31
I dont use IEMs so I cannot advice on that aspect,but the Chord Mojo is a good,powerful amp/DAC. Use your phone for transport into the Mojo and then add IEM of your choice.

Aug 22, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 31
I would most certainly look at something like the FiiO Q5 or iDSD xDSD (Bluetooth connectivity is a great feature and sound quality is top-shelf) as my amp/DAC and invest the majority of the money into a headphone (I don't use IEM so no advice there). I would then seriously consider something like the Audioquest NightOwl as it has a great deal to offer, but there are many excellent headphones available.

Aug 22, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 31
Is this for use at home, for travel or both? Also, what sound format(s) do you listen to?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 31
Is this for use at home, for travel or both? Also, what sound format(s) do you listen to?
For both. The vast, vast majority of my files are lossless rips from my CD collection, but I do have some high sample rate (320mp3) albums that I listen to. For the record once you get to a sample rate of 320 (some would argue 256) the file is transparent to the user and in blind listening you couldn't tell the lossy from the lossless.

Aug 22, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 31
Look at a Hiby R6 DAP, 569-649$ which is a pretty nice and versatile DAP and leaves you room in your 1k set-up for a variety of decent iem's.
Another way to go would be an ifi nano black at 199$ and Campfire Audio Jupiters at 799$.
I have all this and it sounds purely great.
Good luck.

Aug 22, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 31
If what you're saving for is the Andromeda, you can find them on sale as B-stock for $850.
Then spend the remainder on your source. I'd probably get the AudioQuest Dragonfly Red or iFi nano iDSD Black Label. Might even find one of those used or on sale if you look.
You might even be able to get by with your IEMatch for the time being. Though I haven't used any of that equipment, so can't speak directly to it.

Aug 22, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 31
Aug 22, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #11 of 31
I think that it's helpful to know what is going on with Chord Mojo pricing in the U.S. In the U.K., on Amazon, it sells for £379. The tax (VAT) is included, which means that the U.K. price without tax (the tax rate is about 20%) is actually £320. This is US$413. The price on Amazon U.S. is US$537. To that, Amazon will add tax at your local rate.

There is no way to explain this on the basis of the cost of shipping units from the U.K. to the U.S.

This is just yet another European manufacturer that thinks people in the U.S. and Canada don't understand that European prices are VAT included at about 20%, and thinks that it can charge that tax in North America, and often more, as additional profit.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #12 of 31
keep scratching

Aug 22, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #15 of 31
both, but mostly at work from my ipad. I currently stream apple music, but have a few things in FLAC

Personally, I'd purchase a decent set of headphones or earphones under $300 and give it a few months before spending more money on the theory that doing so will significantly improve the quality of streaming audio and playback of the occasional FLAC file.

If you are intent on a combined digital to analogue converter and headphone amp, I would take a serious look at the Sound Devices MixPre-3M ($549) and MixPre-3 ($649). I think that it is highly unlikely that you will find anything better, and these will also give you recording capability. I haven't looked at the nuts and bolts of doing this, but I expect that you could record your streaming music to the MixPre for later playback.

I am not an American and have no interest in "Buy American", but Sound Devices, the company that makes the MixPre series, is relatively local for you if you run into a problem (Wisconsin) and has a truly superb reputation for support and service. Few people here will know what Sound Devices is. It is the pre-eminent manufacturer of audio recorders and mixers used in film and mobile production. Its cheapest 2-track recorder, until the new MixPre series, cost $2600. There is no question that the DAC and headphone amp in the MixPre series are as good as in its other recorders, which means very good indeed.

This video explains the difference between the MixPre-3M and the standard MixPre-3. The former, at $549, may be attractive to you, because you aren't going to need Timecode input. It costs $12 more than the Chord Mojo, and there is no question whatever that it is a much better value with hugely better support in the U.S.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back