How would you describe the majority of Music that came out in 2002
Jan 1, 2003 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BoardC3

500+ Head-Fier
i would say RETURN OF ROCK

this was an incredible year for me as im a incredibly big rock fan
Biggest events this year in music

the "the" bands (the strokes, the vines, the hives)

Return of Nirvana? (New single, and David grohl back on the drums with queens of the stone age)

FINALLY GOOD HARD ROCK AGAIN!!! both Audioslave, AND queens of the stone age

Jan 20, 2003 at 7:01 AM Post #2 of 17
lots of tired rap returning... I.E. Nelly & Eminem.

I'm not big on hip-pop artists.

Retro-rock groups such as The Strokes are a good change of pace from the crap we've been putting up with. I got really tired of alternative about 2 years into it. There were a few good entries, but it got really tired.

Most of the music i listen to is either old-school or 90s (which some people have already started referring to as old school). Outside of Xzibit, I can't name anybody whose album I bought this entire year.

Jan 20, 2003 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 17
well, I take it you mean MTV when you say "majority of music".

in that case...rock is on the return. even pop-tramps like Pink and suc are taking on a more rock-image.

one thing I also noticed:

return of the dinos! a couple of huge artists who started in the 70s made a bit of a comeback: Peter Gabriel - Up, David Bowie - Heathen and Bruce Springsteen - The Rising.

but on the whole, there were a couple of really neat releases from mostly unknown artists, and the mainstream scene is still pretty dumb and CDs more expensive then ever before...

Jan 20, 2003 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 17
Hard to make very general overall blanket ststements, but compared to 1980's and early 1990's current state of "rock" music in USA is bad ...........very bad
frown.gif

In USA there is probably under 2% of any new pop/rock release I would even consider buying. Total sturation of market with rap/hip hop (iced up bitch, *** the police, bling bling crap) MTV fluffy pop divas, mallcore kiddie punk, nu-metal noise.......sad.

The very few quality new/retro rock/metal groups are eagerly purchased by me, some of which were mentioned above Strokes, Queens of Stone Age, Black Rebel Motorcycle etc.

Sadly MTV has corrupted the USA music scence, creating endless armies of lame new music acts, packaged for maiximum market
appeal

Vast majority of my purchases are older groups I missed the first time around, and remasters of classic Cds. Most new groups that interest me are from UK/Europe especially Nordic countries.

If I had to sum up "rock" music in USA last year:
-downward spiral continues

Jan 20, 2003 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 17
Pretty much what Darkangel said.

There is only one American band that I like, and I bet no one has ever heard of them, except for Darkangel. These days, all the bands that I like are from other countries around the world.

As far as MTV goes, I got so fed up with it that I stopped watching it years ago. Radio stinks so much that I got rid of my radio about 5 to 6 years ago? I don't read any mainstream magazines. I do all these things, simply because I just don't care anymore. I rather listen to good music, and I will never get it from these sources.

Jan 20, 2003 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 17
Springsteen is the only one making a comeback, Bowie and Gabriel never stopped working. Gabriel may have done more soundtracks than studio albums but both still produced plenty of music.

Jan 20, 2003 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 17
How would I describe the majority of music that came out in 2002? How about boring, irritating and/ior uninspiring. When Eminem's movie soundtrack and DMB's latest overproduced studio nightmare are the highlights of the year, you know it's a wasted year.

Jan 20, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 17
Sure, 99% of the mainstream was crap, how is this unusal? It's common for mainstream to be crap, however, this year bred some gems.

Yoshimi battles the pink robots. Need i say more? IMO, this is the best album since OK computer.

Sure, we can spend as long as we want complaining about pop, but it will never die, all we have to do is avoid the mainstream, and find the good stuff.

Jan 20, 2003 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 17
Most of what is called Music today; I mean the CD's that you see in front of your face when you first walk into a Music Store or Retail Store; is mostly Crap. I'm not saying 100% of everything,but I'll say at least 90% of it.

There "is" still great music out there being made and a lot of great Musicians. But the so called "mainstream" who are Programmed by society and refuse to look or see beyond what's in front of their face don't have a clue what Music is.

The so called Music that is most popular today are from what they now call "Artists", because most of them have never picked up a Musical Instrument in their Life, and never will.

They can't call them Musicians, because they are not Musicians!!

Jan 20, 2003 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 17
I can't think of anything positive to say about the 2002 music scene. It seems that most of the talented rock bands fazed out in the mid 80s. A lot of rock guitarists now a days can't even perform guitar solos because they are not talented enough. It's the truth.

Jan 21, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 17
I think i may have bought a handful of new cds...and the music industry wonders why sales are in the ****ter.

mad.gif

Jan 21, 2003 at 12:25 AM Post #13 of 17
Hmmm... I don't think I've bought anything that was released in 2002 either... I think I see a pattern forming.
wink.gif

Actually, there were a few good CD releases but I haven't reached them on my list of CDs to buy. (I'm still buying a lot of stuff that I was too younge or uninformed to listen to the first time around)

Jan 21, 2003 at 12:45 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
I think i may have bought a handful of new cds...and the music industry wonders why sales are in the ****ter.

Everyone knows that the music industry's drop in sales is due to Kazaa. Heaven forbid thinking it might be that 90% of what's being released sucks...
rolleyes.gif

I bought only three CDs that were released this year.

Eminem's movie soundtrack a highlight...what is there to do...I would describe this year as "The year I learned to ignore the mainstream." Seriously, I at least paid attention last year, but now I've given up any hope and don't even bother.

Jan 21, 2003 at 1:02 PM Post #15 of 17
One word: "Introspective."

Lots of good music:

Tom Waits - Alice
Tom Waits - Blood Money
Me'Shell Ndgeocello - Cookie: The Anthropological Mix Tape
Beck - Sea Change
Aimee Mann - Lost In Space
Rhett Miller - The Instigator
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
Clinic - Walking With Thee
Sigur Ros - ()
Lambchop - Is A Woman

Old stuff making it on to CD, remastered, or greatest hits albums (for those who like that sort of thing):

Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series/Rolling Thunder Revue
The Velvet Underground & Nico - in MONO (!!!)
The Rolling Stones SACD releases
The Who Ultimate Collection
Jonathan Richman's Rounder Compilation

And of course material from the incredibly self absorbed:

Lauryn Hill - MTV Unplugged v2.0 (blah blah blah... music... blah blah blah)
Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono (can we please find a Replacement?)

If anything was missing this year it was good old fashioned Rock and Roll. The Strokes are very 15 minutes ago and seem less impactful as time passes. The Vines sound like STP took tracks from all their albums, morphed it a bit, and put it back together. The Hives lead needs someone to kick his ass. And, incidentally, I was watching ESPN the other day and saw a commercial for The Donnas as a new band... The Donnas?!? New?!?

empty-v is bad for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back