How would you describe the bass on the Audio Technica ATH- Pro 700 MK2s?
May 5, 2012 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rlynch

New Head-Fier
I am seriously considering buying these headphones for the detachable cable and what I've heard to be good sound. I know they are very bass heavy, but is the bass tight and controlled so it doesn't interfere with the mids and highs, or is it more sloppy? Also, how do the mids and highs compare to the ATH-M50s?

May 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 8
"very bass heavy" depends on what headphones you were coming from previously and what music you listen to primarily, honestly to me, coming from xb500 and listening to mostly hip hop and edm, these things stock are bass light to me, the bass is punchy and tight, the mids and highs are detailed and i personally find all 3 are separate and distinct, its only when you eq and use certain bass oriented dsp's that the "heavy bass" people on here brag about comes to the forefront, and you get that head rattling slam you hear everyone talk about, its at this point where you might find some bass bleeding into other frequencies but unless you're overly critical i really wouldnt complain too much about it

these arent meant for listening to classical or acoustic music on anyway so if you feed it bass intensive music you really shouldnt notice anyway, if you plan on using them for rock they're ok i guess, i think the bass could stand to be a little quicker for my taste in that genre as it doesnt decay fast enough, but thats what grados are for anyway so "meh" lol

if you like your music to be neutral dont get these, also if you're worried about bass being too overpowering just dont eq them and play them flat stock and you should be okay for most genre's if that's your preference

May 5, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the reply man. I usually listen to EDM so these will probably be awesome. Would the Fiio E7 be enough to, when i want to, get that head shaking insane bass? Also, I heard that I should buy the M50 pads as they are much more comfortable, but are there any other pads that fit that are even more comfortable? 

May 6, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #4 of 8
the m50 pads make them infinitely more comfortable, you wont even notice the extreme clamping force on them with m50 pads, but you do lose a lot of bass this way because you get less of a seal and the m50 opening is alot bigger than the much smaller stock pads, their's still alot of bass left so you might even prefer it this way but i personally recommend leaving them stock and stretching out your pro700's over a couple of books or a computer tower overnight for maybe 2 or 3 days so the clamping force dies a little

these things out of the box will do their best to squeeze your eyes out of the sockets lol but now they fit me perfectly i can put them on, still have a great seal and just forget they're on my head, stretching them is a must, make sure the headband forms almost a straight line (believe me this thing is quality, it will hold up no problem) for a few days

the other pads that i've heard fit on them were some shure pads but i forgot the model and i think some ppl use beyer dt 250 velour pads, i cant speak on how either of these 2 change the sound tho

May 6, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #6 of 8
I second what Dutchi said. If you're coming from something like the XB500, you might not like the PRO700MK2's bass out of the box. If you're coming from almost every other basshead can, however, the ATs will stun you with a very punchy bass presentation. They are more detailed in producing bass as opposed to the XB500. Moreover, although their mids are quite recessed, they are still much better compared to the Sonys. My personal opinion is that the PRO700MK2 is not a very good can for general listening; however, if you listen to mostly EDM, then this will be a good purchase.

As I mentioned, out of the box, the PRO700MK2 doesn't rattle as much as the XB500. However, if you pair it with a bass boost amp like the E11 or the ZO2.3, they will really shine.

The M50 pads not only increase comfort, but they also tighten the bass impact. You might want to try modding the PRO700MK2 if you can get your hands on a pair of M50 pads.

Enjoy your PRO700MK2! I'm sure you'll love it! :)

May 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
I'm coming from Sennheiser HD 203s. :p Are the mids more recessed than they are on the ATH-M50s or is it about the same?

The mids on the PRO700MK2s are more recessed than on the M50s. The latter are a fun can with a decent bass extension - pretty much a good headphone for general listening. They are okay with EDM tracks, but they lack the wow factor that basshead cans deliver. Between the 2, I'd very much prefer the PRO700MK2 for dance music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back