How would you describe iPhone Earbuds' sound
Feb 4, 2011 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DaBird

New Head-Fier
I'm waiting for my Ety hF5s to arrive. I got them mainly for isolation, but I know they'll also sound better than my ibud earphones that came with my iPhone 4.

I've read a lot of fantastic reviews on this site of the many great iEM options on the market. And I've been reassured that my upgrade from my ibuds will be significant.

So, my question is, how would you (an audiophile) describe the sound that comes out of Apple's ibuds? You're not allowed to just say they're crap. In the same audiophilic manner as you would describe a serious IEM (say a Sennheiser, Shure, Westone, etc., etc.), I'm curious to hear what your analysis of the ibuds would be. Are they all crap, or do they excel at any particular range? Could you identify the sound somehow in a blind test?

Curious to hear the responses and to compare my Ety's. My goal is not to start an argument of any kind, but more as a way to educate myself on the diffrences and practice listening for them. Maybe I'll be an audiophile someday :)

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 14
Back when, iBuds used to come with foam 'covers' that helped 'em stay in your ears and provided a measure of 'seal'. With a set of something like those? Current iBuds sound reasonably balanced, but lifeless at the top, with no low end extension and overall just 'grey'. Without? Unlistenable. Like sticking a midrange driver in your ear.

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 14
Very flat, dull & tinny. Ok midrange, but bass is completely absent & treble is lifeless. Awful.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 14
While I don't yet have anything to compare them too, I can understand what you're saying. Given that they're all I have had since getting my iPhone, I'm very eager to compare.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 14
I think the irony with iBuds (it is irony, right?) is that they do, indeed, have the so-called "neutral" sound signature that is prized by many so-called audiophiles. On the other hand, though, they fall flat in many areas - I don't have enough fingers to count the iBuds' various flaws. That being said, I can't remember the last time I actually used iBuds, but I do remember the sound as being fairly neutral. The earbuds have probably changed since then, though, and more than likely for the worse.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
I think the irony with iBuds (it is irony, right?) is that they do, indeed, have the so-called "neutral" sound signature that is prized by many so-called audiophiles. On the other hand, though, they fall flat in many areas - I don't have enough fingers to count the iBuds' various flaws. That being said, I can't remember the last time I actually used iBuds, but I do remember the sound as being fairly neutral. The earbuds have probably changed since then, though, and more than likely for the worse.

I think that's probably true. When I had my very first ipod (first generation ipod shuffle, 512 mb,) I remember the earbuds didnt sound that bad. However, I just recently bought a new 32 gb itouch, and popped the ibuds in out of curiosity. Not only did they hurt my ears, the sound was just awful. It felt like listening to the radio through an alarm clock. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 14
I'm no expert but I would say they are flat, bass-less, with no details.
I find thread quite interesting actually 
redface.gif

Feb 5, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Why do people keep saying it's flat? It is extrmemely bass heavy, the highs are also recessed, buds with fairly flat sound would be re252 or ok1.

People often say flat to mean dull- like flat beer I guess.  But yeah, technically speaking when referring to frequency response (perceived or measured) flat means equal amount across all frequencies.

Feb 6, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 14
I start to believe people are confusing which iBud they are talking about.

800px-IPod_Earbuds.JPG

Left: Original iBud (bad sounding) | Right: Current iBud (decent, fun sounding, released since nano 2)

and of course this, the ADDIEM, which is quite bass light (release since shuffle 2)
apple-ipod-in-ear-headphones-2nd-gen-3u6-460.jpg

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #14 of 14

Try amping.  I was using ibuds as test pair when repairing someone's CMOY, and it sounded pretty good for buds, its not an IEM, so obviously its not going to have isolation and etc...
Quote:
bloated. just horribly bloated bass and a real lack of highs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back