How would YOU amp the HD800?
Jan 11, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #31 of 195
The Senn 800 sounds exciting! I think it would sound great in any high quality tube amp. B52, Singlepower, Woo Audio 5 300 B amp, etc... I love Sennheisers with tubes and this will probably be so lush sounding with a velvety depth of tone if it has that nice warm Sennheiser sound. But since I am moving on to the speaker hobby, it is unlikley I will buy it. Still, it looks really fabulous. I wish I won the lotto though.

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #32 of 195
As some others have said, I'd want to hear them through a balanced beta 22. Hearing it through the Zana Deux would be cool too though. That amp has been downright magical every time I've listened to it.

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #33 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I dunno... I kinda have the opposite reaction, that with a quality tube amp, the HD800 might have a really deep soundstage, more holographic imaging. But I do get where you're coming from... I've definitely heard crappier tube headphone amps than SS amps, but when glass is done right, nothing else compares. I, for one, look forward to trying my Leben CS600 with it first. Or, as I said, the OTL/SET config of WA2 would complement the Senns well... or the WA5s!

I know what good tubes can do: I prefer the Earmax Pro for my HD650.
Generally tubes are better with high impedance phones (like the 300 ohm from HDS650), but I think it also depends on what causes the high impedance and need for voltage. I think the HD650 has (physically) relatively heavy and stiff drivers that need a lot of voltage to put in motion and to control them. It also explains their extremely (compared to other phones) positive reaction to balanced driving.
I think that the HD800 (because of this ring construction) has a much "looser" diaphragm. The initial impressions that describe them as fast and spacious also support this. It will move easier and more and thus will need relatively more (fast supply of) current than the HD650 do to properly control them.
Just my speculations.
normal_smile .gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #34 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that the HD800 (because of this ring construction) has a much "looser" diaphragm. The initial impressions that describe them as fast and spacious also support this. It will move easier and more and thus will need relatively more (fast supply of) current than the HD650 do to properly control them.
Just my speculations.
normal_smile .gif

Excellent point, Kees. Your answer kind of validates the reason for this kind of speculation because it makes us think of the design of the headphones and of the practicability of using certain components vs. others. Obviously, we shall all have to see if SS is the only way to supply enough current, or if some quality tube amps can also keep up with the speed of the diaphragms. As for me, I'm a speaker guy, and I'm also the type to sacrifice a little SS speed for the tonality and 'fleshiness' of tubes... if it came down to that kind of a compromise on headphones, too, I'd most likely make the same decision. All a matter of personal taste, as usual.

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #35 of 195
Using a β22!
smile.gif

Which is what I am going to do, when/if I get a HD800..

Jan 11, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #36 of 195
krmathis, can you tell me why the B22 over other solid state/balanced, i.e. Rudistor, etc.? I'm not familiar with the amp... I guess I can search w/in the forum, but too lazy to... why do you think it'll match well w/ the HD800, spec-wise, over other balanced options from the likes of Rudistor & Ray Samuels, etc.?

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #37 of 195
Quote:

krmathis, can you tell me why the B22 over other solid state/balanced, i.e. Rudistor, etc.? I'm not familiar with the amp... I guess I can search w/in the forum, but too lazy to... why do you think it'll match well w/ the HD800, spec-wise, over other balanced options from the likes of Rudistor & Ray Samuels, etc.?

don't be so lazy, read
www.amb.org/audio/beta22/
or google for beta22

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #38 of 195
Quote:

For one simple reason.
Because its the only suitable headphone amplifier I own.
wink.gif

..and a great sounding and built one it is as well.

Jan 11, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #39 of 195
Quote:

Master of the Obvious.

Jan 11, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #40 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People need to get over the $1400 price tag, it'll be hopefully less at retailers . . . .

Based on Senns pricing policy/strategy, that's not going to happen anytime soon.

As for an amp, I would choose to amp the HD 800 with a good amp.

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #42 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For $1400..u can get laid.

I'm already getting laid!
evil_smiley.gif

I would use any amp that can handle a 300 ohm load with ease.

Right now, I'd use my Luxman P-1 or my Blue Circle Audio headphone amps.

If I needed to run out of a Mac, I'd use a Pico or Predator with the gain on "High".

Anything but an RA-1 actually.
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #44 of 195
I'm going to start the HD800 on my favorite HD650 amp: a Purity Audio Caliente. I'll likely also use it with a MAD Ear+ Purist HD and see which 5751 tube my ear prefers with it. Then a RSA SR-71A, a TTVJ PMHA, ... I'm also interested how each of the FiiO E3 and E5 works with the HD800.

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #45 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking my SDS-XLR will do the trick! I'm sure they'll sound great single ended, but I suspect that they'll be a likely candidate for a balanced recabling job as well.

yes.

and i think my B52 will do the trick as well. but as soon as balanced cables are available, i will be eager to get some. the senns love going balanced.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back