How will this sound?
Oct 18, 2009 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Whig Bong

New Head-Fier
This is the setup I'm thinking of saving up for:

Source: Sansa Clip+

Amp: Fiio E5 or E3 (which sounds better?)

Headphones: Grado sr60i or Sennheiser HD202 (agin which sounds better?)

Since i dont make any money seeing as im 14 im trying to get the best setup for the cheapest price. How do you think this setup will sound? will they compliment each other? Is there anything i could change? Have you had any experience with this equipment? Please i need feedback. I dont wanna waste my money.

Oct 18, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 21
The fiio makes a little difference, esp. in the low freqs, but if it's going to break the bank you can definitely get by without it - the clip sounds fine on its own.

As to which headphone sounds better, I lean toward the grado, but I'm sure a lot of other people would like the senn (or another senn). Iow, it's a matter of personal preference. Do you know what kind of sound you like? What kind of music do you listen to?

Oct 18, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fiio makes a little difference, esp. in the low freqs, but if it's going to break the bank you can definitely get by without it - the clip sounds fine on its own.

As to which headphone sounds better, I lean toward the grado, but I'm sure a lot of other people would like the senn (or another senn). Iow, it's a matter of personal preference. Do you know what kind of sound you like? What kind of music do you listen to?

Seeing as I can get a Fiio e3 for $6 is it worth that price, will it improve sound quality?

I mostly like a warm but airy sound, I listen to mostly Alternative Rock.

Im thinking about getting the headphones later, seeing as i have got some decent Koss IEM's

Oct 18, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whig Bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seeing as I can get a Fiio e3 for $6 is it worth that price, will it improve sound quality?

I mostly like a warm but airy sound, I listen to mostly Alternative Rock.

Im thinking about getting the headphones later, seeing as i have got some decent Koss IEM's

The only good thing about the Fiio is the bass boost, otherwise there's no sound improvement really for my Grado SR-225 and thus I don't the Fiio
tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 21
Yeah, I've never heard the E3 but I wouldn't even bother with it. The E5 itself is only just a little bit more than a bass boost, I can't imagine the E3 is really going to make a huge difference.. Why not just get the clip and the headphones you want and decide how that sounds first.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 21
Thanks for the feedback guys. But i just recently found out that i can sell my old sony surround system (currently not in use) for $260. So keeping with the clip. (i'll probably get a zune hd for christmas) what do you think should be my new headphone amp combination. I was thinking:

Source: Clip + (eventually zune hd)

Amp: nuforce icon mobile

Phones: Grado sr80i

sorry for changing so fast on you, between posts i had the idea to sell my old surround sound system, looked online and found a price point.

Oct 19, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #8 of 21
you dont need a DAC/amp for a clip. Check out the iBasso T4

Oct 19, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you dont need a DAC/amp for a clip. Check out the iBasso T4

I was looking at the iBasso, but seeing as how you get a DAC and extra headphone out included for the same price in the nuforce, i tought it would be a better deal.

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #10 of 21
Why not a pa2v2 it seems to work great with the fuze (so i don't see why not with the clip+). Although the fuze/clip don't really need amping.

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 21
ive looked over the pa2v2 and it seems like the nuforce is all around better (smaller, rechargable via usb, built in DAC, two head phone ports.....)

Really the reason im getting an amp is because ive heard that the Sr80i's sound much better when amped, and i dont think ithe Clip+ could deliver enough power.

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whig Bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the setup I'm thinking of saving up for:

Source: Sansa Clip+

Amp: Fiio E5 or E3 (which sounds better?)

Headphones: Grado sr60i or Sennheiser HD202 (agin which sounds better?)

Since i dont make any money seeing as im 14 im trying to get the best setup for the cheapest price. How do you think this setup will sound? will they compliment each other? Is there anything i could change? Have you had any experience with this equipment? Please i need feedback. I dont wanna waste my money.

On a serious note if I were you, I would get BioScience Geeks CMOY amp over a Fiio.

Sorry I have never been keen on Fiios's, just my 2 cents.

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Albinoni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a serious note if I were you, I would get BioScience Geeks CMOY amp over a Fiio.

Sorry I have never been keen on Fiios's, just my 2 cents.

Obviously you haven't seen my new list.

Source: Clip + (eventually zune hd)

Amp: nuforce icon mobile

Phones: Grado sr80i

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #15 of 21
Skip the Nuforce if you need it on the go as I've had serious battery problems. It works OK as a DAC.

If your tight on funds, skip the amp and put money in to the earphones. The Clip+/RE0 is a fine combo. You can add the Fii0 later if need be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back