How well would HD 600s run when being powered by a motherboard?
Jul 3, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #16 of 30
Most non-enthusiast boards use Realtek these days. The enthusiast or high end mobo's use there own modified sound cards featuring custom OEM'd Sound Blaster/Auzentech or Asus sound chipsets. The non AC97 Realtek IC's are fine for normal audio use but they just lack the omphh to drive anything greater than 250ohm's or other high z headphones.

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:
No, just no. The onboard audio chipset lacks the omhpp for the HD600's, you won't get enough volume for them even when maxed out.

What is enough volume is not quite the same for everyone, though, and also depends on what you listen to. The HD600 from a typical onboard codec is still capable of peaks of 100 dB SPL without clipping, which is not exactly quiet, especially when listening to dynamically compressed music. Only the OP can find it out if that is enough, however.

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #21 of 30
My onboard Realtek is not capable of pushing my HD600's to 100db + period. I've tried it before and the sound just sucks. If OP want's to drive headphones off the inferior sound chipset of his mobo, he should look into other headphones.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:
My onboard Realtek is not capable of pushing my HD600's to 100db + period. I've tried it before and the sound just sucks.

It may suck for you because you want more than 100 dB. That is not true for everyone else, however. I have listened to 250 Ω headphones that are less efficient than the HD600 (so do not need less voltage despite the lower impedance) from onboard audio and they were - barely with anything that was not subject to "loudness war" compression - loud enough and did not sound much different from my Xonar Essence STX at matched levels. Of course, other people may have worse onboard audio because of bad implementation/drivers or incorrect usage.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #23 of 30
I have the HD600s - and you actually can get them to unbearably loud volume levels straight out of an iPhone4.  And although I use an Audio-gd NFB-12 + LD MKIV (desktop), I also have an Asus Mobo with Realtek chipset ...... and once again, they can go to very high volume (without distortion) from that as well (not that I use it anymore).

The HD600 - despite being 300ohm are quite sensitive, and relatively easy to drive.

I totally agree with stv014.  OP - try them straight off your mobo first.  Unless you are listening to classical with a big dynamic range - I'm picking that you'll get great enjoyment (and volume) out of them without additional amping.  Then, if you decide you want/need more later, you can then add an external dac/amp.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

It may suck for you because you want more than 100 dB. That is not true for everyone else, however. I have listened to 250 Ω headphones that are less efficient than the HD600 (so do not need less voltage despite the lower impedance) from onboard audio and they were - barely with anything that was not subject to "loudness war" compression - loud enough and did not sound much different from my Xonar Essence STX at matched levels. Of course, other people may have worse onboard audio because of bad implementation/drivers or incorrect usage.

I don't know how many db's I listen to my music at but my HD600's just sounded craptacular driven directly from my mobo, not that this is the method I listen to my music but just a basis point of what I've tried and experienced. I had the same results from an older G31 chipset mobo as well where mine is a GB Z68 UD5 board. 

It's the same with my LCD2's how people say it can be driven fine from an iphone, which as that is just full of crap. And no I wouldn't say the HD600's are relatively easy to drive as well, they are harder to sound right than a 600ohm Beyer if you dismiss the logic of "higher number is harder to drive". All comes down to the amp design, specs and the right synergy.

Jul 29, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #27 of 30
lol just wait til you get a proper amp, you'll be shocked. It's not about volume - Realtek sounds very congested. You don't need golden ears or expensive headphones to hear the difference in soundstage - your motherboard audio will sound like all the musicians are playing right in front of your face. An amp will push them back and spread them out so you can hear the individual instruments. The sound just "opens up" - you'll see :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back