How well would HD 600s run when being powered by a motherboard?
Jul 2, 2013 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Dave Zember

New Head-Fier
I plan on purchasing HD 500s and was wondering if an amp is really necessary. I plan on listening to music at "realistic" volumes (about how loud it would be when played in real life), nothing dangerously loud

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:
I plan on purchasing HD 600s and was wondering if an amp is really necessary. I plan on listening to music at "realistic" volumes (about how loud it would be when played in real life), nothing dangerously loud.

The motherboard I would be using is the Rampage IV Formula.

The PAV2V (Personal Amp. 2 Version 2) is $66.30 on eBay.

If you connected the computer to a receiver, chances are the receiver can drive the 300-Ohm HD600 headphones.

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 30
Honestly, if you don't want to invest in an amp you would do better with headphones that don't need one... what you're asking is something like this: "I plan to buy a Ferrari.  Do I REALLY need to use premium gas?"

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 30
i'm listening to them unamped with just my motherboard (asus z68 pro) and a dell computer speaker unit that cost like 15 dollars on sale (my computer case headphone jack is messed up so i use the headphone jack on the speaker control unit)... sound freaking phenomenal to me and more than loud enough at 64 volume level using realtek hd audio drivers.
not sure if that cheap dell speaker unit is providing amplification or not.

everyone seems to say you need an amp, maybe my situation is an anomaly. don't know. :)
certainly not saying you don't need an amp, just saying in my situation i haven't found a great need for one at this time.
for whatever that's worth.

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #7 of 30
Yeah, the dell speaker is an amp... though not a decent one.  The point is, if you're investing in good headphones, you should invest in the whole subsystem required to use them to their capacity.

That said, if you like what you hear, then go with it.  You might be wasting money by not getting something cheaper that would sound as good to you, though.

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #8 of 30
Yeah, the dell speaker is an amp... though not a decent one.  The point is, if you're investing in good headphones, you should invest in the whole subsystem required to use them to their capacity.

That said, if you like what you hear, then go with it.  You might be wasting money by not getting something cheaper that would sound as good to you, though.

haha cool! didn't even realize it was an amp, of sorts.
i guess then i'm not technically "unamped".
so take that into account with what i said anyone who reads the other post. :p
these are those speakers i am using for the headphone jack by the way, hardly an endgame solution but it's working for me temporarily while i save for a real amp.. :D
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&sku=313-7966

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #10 of 30
Why not just buy it, and try it yourself ? If you really need an amp, you will find it out soon, and either get one (it can be decent enough for a third of the price of the HD600, or less), or return the headphones.

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #12 of 30
They'll probably sound great to you if they're your first real headphones... and in the future, when you get an amp, they'll sound even more amazing.

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #13 of 30
The HD600s will most likely sound fine out of your motherboard, unless it just happens to be a horrible audio chipset, which I'd highly doubt, and also which of course any headphone would sound bad. Will they sound "better" out of an Amp and DAC?.....well yes but it isn't required to enjoy the quality presentation the HD600s offer. The only downside, is that you may find you don't have the volume to get loud on audio tracks that are quiet compared to average. I went a few years running my HD600s directly out of a sound card, before upgrading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back