How well does HD-800 mate with Singlepower amps?
Oct 1, 2009 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PhilS

Headphoneus Supremus
I've read a number of threads that suggest that the HD-800 is very amp-dependent. I have a Singlepower Supra that is being "made safe," and I am thinking of perhaps purchasing the HD-800's. I'm wondering if anyone can comment on how the HD-800 pairs with the Supra or any of the other SP amps. I did a quick search, but some of the HD-800 threads are so long, I could not find anything helpful.

I'd also like to know what tubes people are using in their SP amps with the HD-800's.

Thanks.

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 6
They sounded quite good with my SP Extreme Platinum, better than with some rigs I heard at CanJam, though that's not really significant, given many of the headphones there were straight out of the box and paired with a variety of sources. My particular Extreme sounds closer to the Supra than other Extremes (it went through three rounds of tweaking), so I'd say it's definitely worth trying out if you're interested. I didn't experience the sibilance others have mentioned hearing, though that could also be a factor of source, though I tried out two different sources with my set up with the same results. I also didn't experience the Senns as lacking in "musicality" which others have also mentioned. Since you're in Southern California, see if you can get with another head-fier and try them out first. That would certainly be the best and cheapest way of finding out if you can.

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 6
I think I may order a pair from a vendor that has a 30-return and try them out. Frankly, I was hoping that they would start coming down in price by now, but I guess not.

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 6
The HD800 and SDS-XLR is about as good as it gets, IMO. It's right up there with any headphones based system I've ever heard, but of course that's pretty much a maxed out SP amp and it seems to make all of my headphones sound their best. That being said, I've not done any direct comparisons vis-a-vis other amps, nor have I been listening to headphones (in general) nearly as much as I did several years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back