How well do budget speakers measure up to headphones?
Oct 19, 2013 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sonido

1000+ Head-Fier
Been looking at the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR. How would these compare with decent headphones such as HD600 or DT880 if we assume both the speakers and headphones are well amped?

For more details I currently use Fiio D3 -> O2 -> HD700 for movies and gaming. Would Fiio D3 -> Emotiva a-100 mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR give any improvement? Mind you I'm only interested in the two bookshelf speakers, not a complete 5.1 surround system.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 4
I don't think they're really "comparable", its sort of apples and oranges. For the record though, I just received a pair of LCD-2 and I also just ordered the Pioneer's, being driven from a cheap Lepai (not quite mini-X level of quality, but also not quite the price). I'll let you know what I think after I receive them, but heres a review I found http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-loudspeaker

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 4
Nov 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 4
  Any updates on how they compare?

Well, I do have both, and am currently using both on a regular basis. The main reason I hadn't replied as of yet was that I'm still waiting on my Aune T1 to get to me (it should arrive wednesday). I don't think its a fair comparison between the speakers and the headphones if I'm driving the headphones from my computer. I will, however, say that it is definitely worth owning the headphones for some more detailed listening and for late night listening. The speakers have their advantages and at this point I'm definitely using them more, but they don't make the headphones obsolete even when I AM driving them from my computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back