How useful do you folks find amp's "crossfeed" ?
Apr 25, 2007 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

jjb

Head-Fier
been a long time reader, but am just posting...

Thinking of getting a Xin Super Micro IV - (I know about the wait)
Question: is the crossfeed function of some larger amps worthwhile ?
I value good soundstage, but didn't think an electronically generated one would be that good. Opinions ?

Cheers.

JJB

Apr 25, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 27
The porta corda of dr.meier has a crossfeed function as well and I am using it quite a lot. Like mrarroyo said it especially useful with older recordings.

It has a drawback as well. The crossfeed takes away part of the bass/impact. I think some of the more expensive amplifiers use something to compensate for that as well.

There is also the headphonia but I don't really want to recommend that any more. It's up to you whether you would still consider this amp as an option.

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 27
If you have it on your amp, do a quick on/off comparison. There is a difference -- at least in the HeadRoom Desktop. In my head, it seems to spread the center stage sound out over a wider spectrum that's closer to what happens in a real live performance. Without it, the center stage seems to be in a narrower band in the middle of my head. I'm not sure if this makes sense. Try it and see if you experience something similar.

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 27
I never listen without crossfeed on anymore.
The crossfeed sounds more like "live" to *me* -- especially with older music stuff, that often has crazy-wide separation.

Apr 25, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #10 of 27
I have the HR Desktop (maxed out version) and after switching the crossfeed on and off on a number of recordings, I've decided it doesn't do much for me, so I leave it off all the time. So as others have mentioned, it really is a personal thing. I think if you're just coming into headphone listening and are primarily accustomed to the type of soundstage present by either speakers or a live event, then you're the kind of person who will probably want to use crossfeed...at least for awhile. After getting more used to the headphone experience, you may begin to identify the minuses associated with crossfeed -- for me, these include a "strange" (ie unnatural) soundstage on some recordings, alterations in either bass and/or treble response curves, slight softening of highest frequencies and transients. Apparently not everyone hears these things, or at least the positives outweigh the negatives. Fortunately the crossfeed circuit can be disengaged if you don't like the effect. I have no idea whether this circuit adds to the cost of an amp or affects other aspects of an amps circuitry.

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #11 of 27
I only have experience with two amps, but I think x-feed varies with how well it's implemented. On my Micro amp, the x-feed is fabulous. I say this because I think it's very subtle. I often can't tell the difference if I flick it off/on while looking for the change. On the other hand, if I listen for a while with it on, I notice when it's not there, but it's still subtle. I like it.

On my XM4, the x-feed is crap. Far too much change in the signal, and it lowers the volume/bass significantly. The XM4 is adjustable which is nice, but no setting does it for me.

In short, I think x-feed, properly done, is nice.

GAD

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 27
I like crossfeed very much. I like the HeadRoom crossfeed in my Micro Amp, it gives a bit of warmth also which works well with my DT-880. I've stopped using the "Xinfeed" crossfeed in my SuperMini because it's too severe and my ER4P need the widened soundstage.

My favorite crossfeed is Meiers version in my Porta Corda MkIII-USB and Corda Cross-1. To my ears it sounds very natural and at times is barely noticeable, which is a good thing. I recommend the Corda Cross-1 to anyone wanting to add crossfeed to any amp.

Apr 26, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the HR Desktop (maxed out version) and after switching the crossfeed on and off on a number of recordings, I've decided it doesn't do much for me, so I leave it off all the time. So as others have mentioned, it really is a personal thing. I think if you're just coming into headphone listening and are primarily accustomed to the type of soundstage present by either speakers or a live event, then you're the kind of person who will probably want to use crossfeed...at least for awhile. After getting more used to the headphone experience, you may begin to identify the minuses associated with crossfeed -- for me, these include a "strange" (ie unnatural) soundstage on some recordings, alterations in either bass and/or treble response curves, slight softening of highest frequencies and transients. Apparently not everyone hears these things, or at least the positives outweigh the negatives. Fortunately the crossfeed circuit can be disengaged if you don't like the effect. I have no idea whether this circuit adds to the cost of an amp or affects other aspects of an amps circuitry.

Good to meet another HRD-Max team member. I was beginning to feel isolated. Interesting take on xfeed and how its effect varies depending on prior experience: external speakers/live performances vs. cans. The mind somehow makes an adjustment for cans over time and creates a more natural soundstage without the need for xfeed. That sounds right to me. But I'd hate to give up the xfeed difference until the adaptation kicks in.

Apr 26, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #14 of 27
I played around with crossfeed for a while and while I did like it, I found it unnecessary to use with headphones. When I listen to headphones, I want my music to be upfront and engaging, and what crossfeed tends to do is narrow the soundstage a little bit and make the sound more laid back. If I want a relaxing listen, I'll listen to my speakers, where I will get natural crossfeed. But for headphones, I appreciate and embrace the extreme left/right-ness of its sound.

Apr 26, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #15 of 27
Thanks for the discussion, everyone. Very interesting.....
Maybe I have an excuse to buy multiple amps and compare them ???
biggrin.gif

Cheers,

JJB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back