How to wear Ultrasones
Feb 14, 2012 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

PerfectBass

New Head-Fier
I know there is a lot of controversy about Ultrasones and their S-Logic technology. I just wanted to see how people deal with it. How do you wear yours? I find the best place on my head, for soundstage and better (brighter) highs, for my HFi-580s, is to center them on the y-axis (up and down) then pull them forward on the z-axis until the back edge of the ear cups rest against the back of my ears; without disturbing the resting shape of my ears. What about you?

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 14
I never really put drastic thought into wearing them any particular way, but S-Logic does mess with your head quite a lot and positioning can cushion the blow of changing over from something conventional.

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
I know there is a lot of controversy about Ultrasones and their S-Logic technology. I just wanted to see how people deal with it. How do you wear yours? I find the best place on my head, for soundstage and better (brighter) highs, for my HFi-580s, is to center them on the y-axis (up and down) then pull them forward on the z-axis until the back edge of the ear cups rest against the back of my ears; without disturbing the resting shape of my ears. What about you?

I've done the same thing with my Ultrasones (or any headphone with tilted drivers for that matter). I found pushing them slightly forward so the back of my ears were touching the back of the cup more than the front was optimal for me.

Very best,

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 14
That's how I always wear everything, but I make no special reservations for Ultrasones.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 14
i position them so it feels natural on my head. it feels like its leaning forward but when i look at myself its directly vertical on my head and my ears sit right in the middle. they sound fine and i dont like moving them around. feels weird on my head and super uncomfortable for my big-ish ears when i try to move the cups forward or back

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 14
I've had fit issues with the Edition 8 from day one. So much so that I've not given them much head time and considered selling them. They just never seem to seal properly unless I apply slight pressure to each cup. Without this pressure I'm not getting a full seal and the sound (particularly the bass) seems to suffer. I've now found I can get them to seal properly when laying on a pillow in bed so now they have become part of my newly constructed bedside rig.

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 14
I've had fit issues with the Edition 8 from day one. So much so that I've not given them much head time and considered selling them. They just never seem to seal properly unless I apply slight pressure to each cup. Without this pressure I'm not getting a full seal and the sound (particularly the bass) seems to suffer. I've now found I can get them to seal properly when laying on a pillow in bed so now they have become part of my newly constructed bedside rig.

Ouch... I was planning on using the ED8s as my portable headphones... I hope I won't run into this problem >.<

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 14
The drivers have to be aligned with my ears, centered..to feel like the sound is around the room. 

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
The drivers have to be aligned with my ears, centered..to feel like the sound is around the room. 

That gets a bit more complicated when using angled drivers, or does it...

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 14
Compared to aligned, I prefer forward. I was just curious because Ultrasones seem to have generally larger ear cups. My roommate has some Sennheiser over ears and there is little to no wiggle room for me.

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #11 of 14
Hi everybody,
I'm new a member to Head-Fi. I'd like recommend one position to wear the Ultrasone Pros. That make me hearing a sound stage in front.
Actually, I started one thread of "how to wear Ultrasones" in a Headphone Forum of Taiwan recently.
http://www.andaudio.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=101628
There are four position figure and pictures described the soundstage I felt.
any comment?
I'm not a native English speaker.
Best regards,
jy

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #12 of 14
I find the Edition 8s bass overbearing when on a pillow.

Also, the Ed8s have non angled drivers so its best not to use the pads touching the back of your ears technique.

Ideally IMHO you'd want some music to get into the back of the folds of your ear then travel inside so there is a slight delay that can accentuate the illusion of space and spaciousness and overall music presence. If everything travels into your earcanals at the same time, its gonna be akin to an IEM instead of headphones or speakers.

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #13 of 14
welcome to head-fi! and sorry...about...your...wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back