How to waste money: HD202 & AKG26p
Oct 24, 2005 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Blasyrkh

100+ Head-Fier
today i bought these two cans for an unknown reason...these days i'm affected by the downgradite, that is the will to get cheapo cans instead of better ones.

i bought these two cans for their good reputation, hd202 for some groovin, k26p for allaround/portable phone.

i spent 25€ the first, 30€ the second and i think i have wasted all the money...

HD202 is freaking grooving, damn tooooooooo much bass, please tell me that after the brake in they loose some bass, damn!

K26ps have good sound, but to say that are uncomfortable it's a compliment, they are worst than the grados...

i'm really disappointed, and i can't return them
frown.gif
sorry for the outpour

Oct 24, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 17
I get the itch to buy downgraded headphones for some reason too, but most of the time I control myself, and come to my senses. People hype about cheap cans and how good they sound, but I have no need for cheaper cans, just better cans.

Oct 24, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 17
I dont know what it is... Ive been bitten by downgrade-itis too.

I sit here happily groovin to Eric Johnson on my $7 sportapro amped with a little dot Micro. While my HF1/MS2 and Millet sit dormant watching.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

?????

Garrett

Oct 24, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 17
K26Ps aren't the most comfy cans, sure (they're closed and supraaural after all), but *that* uncomfortable? It probably depends on your ear shape, but I'm fine wearing them for up to an hour or so, longer use has not been necessary to date (portable use only, for which they're pretty much perfect IMHO). My ears are a bit on the larger side, but not overly so.
As for the bass on the HD202, well, that's not new. The Headroom graph shows the bass hump very well. Actually it's not even that extreme - I wonder what you'd think of the 212 Pro...

Oct 24, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blasyrkh
damn donwgrade-ite
biggrin.gif

sportapros are groovin cans? more or less than 202?

Ive never heard the 202. One things for sure, the sportapro has too much bass for my taste. I modded them, but still, to my ears the treble is recessed relative to the bass. Mids are a little conjested too. Needs EQ help, then it comes alive.

I MUCH prefer the treble and midrange sparkle of the UR40 and KSC75 (modded).

Garrett

Oct 24, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 17
Good cheap cans? Try KSC-75s (IIRC Amazon has them for 24.95€ here in .de), or the HD201. Dunno how good the Philips HP805 would be. I do find used or new old stock cans to give the best price/performance ratio though. (My HD535s - NOS - cost me 35 plus shipping. Maybe one day when I've got a bunch of spare ca$h, I'll get me a used HD580 in good shape, these seem to go for ~60..65.)

Oct 24, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
K26Ps aren't the most comfy cans, sure (they're closed and supraaural after all), but *that* uncomfortable? It probably depends on your ear shape, but I'm fine wearing them for up to an hour or so, longer use has not been necessary to date (portable use only, for which they're pretty much perfect IMHO). My ears are a bit on the larger side, but not overly so.
As for the bass on the HD202, well, that's not new. The Headroom graph shows the bass hump very well. Actually it's not even that extreme - I wonder what you'd think of the 212 Pro...

i've got large (not much) ears too, i think they are quite uncomfy due to the strain on the head...stiff pads + high pressure = really uncomfy
frown.gif

even stretching them, the pressure doesn't change, plus they have a really bad system of size adjustemente, i must adjust them each time a put them on
frown.gif

about the hd202, i've never own a "dj" can, but i thought bass would be a little bit less, they are futile for everything exept for *some* electronic or dj use...that's a total waste for me
frown.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
Good cheap cans? Try KSC-75s (IIRC Amazon has them for 24.95€ here in .de), or the HD201. Dunno how good the Philips HP805 would be. I do find used or new old stock cans to give the best price/performance ratio though. (My HD535s - NOS - cost me 35 plus shipping. Maybe one day when I've got a bunch of spare ca$h, I'll get me a used HD580 in good shape, these seem to go for ~60..65.)

i'm from italy, i can't buy from amazon
frown.gif
however i have had hd201, sold after some weeks...very good cans, but mids and highs too harsh, my ears felt pain sometimes...

Oct 24, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #10 of 17
I'm often tempted to get cheap Sennheisers and then I remember I have 580s with a cardas cable and realise nothing cheaper from Sennheiser is every gonna sound better! A 'downgrade' to a Grado or Beyer however....

Oct 24, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 17
I owned... well used to own the HD202's.. they were perfect for me... since all I listened to was rock and mostly trance... and I loved the bass hehe
basshead.gif

(BTW is it really called trance or is it electronica or something, feel stupid saying trance thinking it might not be correct to call it trance) .

Oct 24, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #12 of 17
I own the HD202, and i too think that it has to much bass, and they get exceedingly uncomfortable when you were them for more then an hour

Oct 24, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #13 of 17
HD202: yup, too much bass

k26p: yup, uncomfortable (try bending the headband outward to loosen
the pressure if it's a pressure problem).

Do the new hd201's interest you? Audio Technica has new phones called
ES-7, T44, T33, T22. Sony has xd100, xd200, xd300, xd400.

The new AKG k27i probably fits like the k26p.

The Sennheiser px200 is very comfortable. There's a new pmx200 also.

Beyer has a new "ipod" headphone they are marketing in Japan.

These are all closed.

Oct 24, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by aZn_plyR
I owned... well used to own the HD202's.. they were perfect for me... since all I listened to was rock and mostly trance... and I loved the bass hehe
basshead.gif

(BTW is it really called trance or is it electronica or something, feel stupid saying trance thinking it might not be correct to call it trance) .

trance is a kind of electronic music
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaOmega
HD202: yup, too much bass

k26p: yup, uncomfortable (try bending the headband outward to loosen
the pressure if it's a pressure problem).

Do the new hd201's interest you? Audio Technica has new phones called
ES-7, T44, T33, T22. Sony has xd100, xd200, xd300, xd400.

The new AKG k27i probably fits like the k26p.

The Sennheiser px200 is very comfortable. There's a new pmx200 also.

Beyer has a new "ipod" headphone they are marketing in Japan.

These are all closed.

thanks for the advices, but i think i'll end up buying px100 again...and i don't like px200
frown.gif

the problem is that here it's difficult to find some headphone marks, for exemple audio technica, so for cheap cans it's not convenient to buy them from ather countries due to shipping costs
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back