How to wake up HD650 Sennheisers
Feb 26, 2018 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Bob Foster

New Head-Fier
I lived for many years listening to my HD650s with an underpowered Aune DAC/ Tube Amp. Then today I hooked them up to a new Schitt Lyr 2 with a previously burned in Modi 2 Multibit. Wow what a difference a little clean heft made. My Senns are REBORN!

Output with high impedance headphones makes a huge difference. Its like listening to a different set of headphones. Bottom became way more definite and mids cleaned up.

Mar 2, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 19
High quality, uncoloured, non-euphonic amplification with enough gain.

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #6 of 19
Your 650 will lives again once more when you chang its stock cable

I've read contrary perspectives on this so I've stayed with my stock Sennheiser cable. The other thing I've read is many of these aftermarket cables are grossly overpriced for the improvements they provide.

But now you have me thinking about the possibilities and I think I will buy a single end and maybe a balanced one too for a Eddie Current ZDT Jr. that I have coming in June. What brand would you recommend?

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #7 of 19
20180302_233330.jpg
I've read contrary perspectives on this so I've stayed with my stock Sennheiser cable. The other thing I've read is many of these aftermarket cables are grossly overpriced for the improvements they provide.

But now you have me thinking about the possibilities and I think I will buy a single end and maybe a balanced one too for a Eddie Current ZDT Jr. that I have coming in June. What brand would you recommend?

This is my cable. It is noname cable cost 200$.

I was a person who did not trust in effect from headphone cable with simply logic : it all is electric current at low voltage around 1-3V for most of hp. Any metal wire has very low resistance per meter even gold, coper, silver....
In compare to 300Om of driver (hd650 or hd800 etc...) it is like 0.01%...
That is physic side. Audio, may not ruled like that.
My cable is copper, seller said 7N, 300 strand per core( if so total 1200 strands it has).

For head phone upgrade, headphone cable > interconnect cable > power cord.
( excl headphone amp because it is more depending in cost).
If you find effect of amp already, next step is hp cable.
After I use above cable, I never use again stock cable (once try it again to see how much difference then abandoned it)

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #9 of 19

I would definitely change the cable but I would most likely go with a company that everyone trusts in the audiophile community probably Periapt.

Jan 4, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #10 of 19
You can also uso a pure solid core silver cable to open the sound stage and increase the dynamic.

Jan 4, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #11 of 19
I know people will be disappointed with me by saying this but the HD650 is overrated and not that good unless if you love that thick lower frequency sound. The HD600 however is so much better.

So for the average guy or girl out there, rather than trying to wake up or improve the HD650, it’s better to just get an HD600 instead.

I’m still keeping my HD650 because it matches well with thin sounding old recordings that need that fat sound enhancement the HD650 offers.

Jan 4, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #13 of 19
I lived for many years listening to my HD650s with an underpowered Aune DAC/ Tube Amp. Then today I hooked them up to a new Schitt Lyr 2 with a previously burned in Modi 2 Multibit. Wow what a difference a little clean heft made. My Senns are REBORN!

Output with high impedance headphones makes a huge difference. Its like listening to a different set of headphones. Bottom became way more definite and mids cleaned up.
I Love Aune products but a lot of their products are very underpowered until you get to the x7s and the S7. Both of those amps are great! But yeah I know what you mean about waking up headphones, I run almost all my heaphones off of my Asgard 2. Glad to hear(pun intended) you are liking your HD650's again :D

Jan 5, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #15 of 19
I have a HD650 but haven't used it for years. I probably powered it with my objective 2 amp but have since upgraded headphones and amps along my journey. My current main amp is my Audeze Deckard for solid state and Project Ember II for tube. Do you guys think either is enough power or a good pairing for the HD650 or it should I look to upgrade to a different amp to open them up. I honestly haven't listened to my HD650 on either amp since I got them because I've upgraded headphones also and just never picked them back up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back