how to use volume?
Sep 11, 2010 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

ambush276

Head-Fier
ok this may seem like a NOob question but i am totally lost and what should be done..

i have a volume knob for foobar 200, a volume for the usb to spidf, a volume for the dac, and a volume for the amp..

what should i set to where.. and when i want to change volume what should i be changing.

my usb to spidf is software based volume changer in windows... so ... yea..

i have done the usb to spidf max, foobar max, dac max, and then just put the amp really low and change when needed.

done amp at about 50% .. with the dac somewhere in the middle upper and the usb to spidf in the 30% range..

????

thanks so much for your help..

my attitude was (please correct me if wrong)..

have the usb to spidf max because that is sitll just digital signal.. do not tamper with volume there..

put the dac in the 50% range ish.. and amp in 50% range???

thanks?

Sep 11, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 34
Wow, that's a lot of volumes...Max everything and control with amp.  I have like seven usb to spdif converters and the only one that has any volume control is the E-MU 0404usb when I use it in that fashion.  A couple of my DACs I use for this purpose also, but volume is taken out of the equation....Go figure....

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 34

Quote:
Wow, that's a lot of volumes...Max everything and control with amp.  I have like seven usb to spdif converters and the only one that has any volume control is the E-MU 0404usb when I use it in that fashion.  A couple of my DACs I use for this purpose also, but volume is taken out of the equation....Go figure....

x2

Just max everything except the final thing feeding your headphones/speakers.

Sep 12, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #6 of 34
I agree with Lee.  People don't realize it but most of the time they are getting hot/clipped data going to their DAC's.  Ease back on the volume in Foobar to about 85-90% and max everything else out until you get to the last link.

If you really want to get an idea, find a software digital level meter that will show the signal levels before they are sent out via spdif.  Back the volume down until you  peak in the yellow.

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 34
i was told though that AMPS usually want to be in the mid range?

so like my woo audio 3... i want that to be like somewhere in the middle?

you guys are all sayin max everything (except fubar 90%) and then use the amp lightly>?

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #8 of 34

Quote:
i was told though that AMPS usually want to be in the mid range?

so like my woo audio 3... i want that to be like somewhere in the middle?

you guys are all sayin max everything (except fubar 90%) and then use the amp lightly>?

To get a better feel for the gear in question, why don't you list your gear....DAC, usb converter etc.  I do not see it in your profile...We know about the W3 as of now

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 34
ahh ill post it and and the profile.

USB to SPIDF ... Bravo usb to spdif (24bit/96khz digital processor) from firestone audio

LITE DAC-AM (from china.. have a transformer for it..)

Woo AUdio 3 with upgraded tubes..

that is the setup... like said earlier.. the bravo has a software based audio changer.. the dAC has audio .. and of course the amp has audio (all of them have volume controls is what i mean)..

i was told by a few friends keep the bravo thing in the 50% .. dac 60% and then make sure ur amp is around 50%?

i have also heard like here to have everything max and use amp lightly?

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #10 of 34
Okay, thanks.

I believe the DAC-AM had a headphone out, but you are not using it correct?  The volume still goes up on it with no phones plugged in?

The Bravo is software based, I guess sort of like the Musiland 01USB control panel I'm guessing.

This is how I run it with no probs whatsoever and no clipping etc. and control volume with amp.  Of course YMMV..The volume on the DAC is a bit perplexing though

Foobar & 01USD

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #14 of 34
This reminds me about the uDac thread.  Questions were brought up if connected to another amp, where should the uDac volume be.  Many heard clipping with the volume on uDac maxxed and controlled with another amp.  I guess the consensus and overall solution was keeping the Udac's volume at 2-3 o'clock (75%).

I guess several factors play in the equation.

Try DAC 75%, Foobar 100% and control with amp.  Just remember "control with amp" means you control the volume with amp only, nothing else, once everything is setup.

See which combinations you notice degredation or improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back