How to use my K701 professionally?
Jul 17, 2013 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I want to ask guidance on how to use my K701 professionally. I bought them in 2008 and has used them over thousands of hours. But so far I have been only connecting them to my laptop. I want to know:

1) How to best amplify their ability? What kind of amplifier do I need to choose?

2) Do I need to buy a separate CD player and a DAC? I am using a Thinkpad laptop and there is no dedicated "optical out" available on the computer. I am confused when I browing the forum as I found I need various cables to connect the source to the Amp, and the source usually has two cables. But my computer has only one line out available.

3) What should be my budget? Is a 500$ amp reasonable?

Thank you!

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
I want to ask guidance on how to use my K701 professionally. I bought them in 2008 and has used them over thousands of hours. But so far I have been only connecting them to my laptop. I want to know:
1) How to best amplify their ability? What kind of amplifier do I need to choose?
2) Do I need to buy a separate CD player and a DAC? I am using a Thinkpad laptop and there is no dedicated "optical out" available on the computer. I am confused when I browing the forum as I found I need various cables to connect the source to the Amp, and the source usually has two cables. But my computer has only one line out available.
3) What should be my budget? Is a 500$ amp reasonable?

Burn your CD to FLAC music files and store them on your laptop's hard drive..
Get the Audioengine D1 ($175) external DAC & head amp. and connect the D1 to the laptops USB port.
Use the software program Foobar2000 to play your music audio.

If you want difference amplifier options for the AKG K701, ask on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/321237/k701-appreciation-thread

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 9
Well, you were not taking full advantage of your K701's all this time. 

An alternative to the Audioengine, is the Aune T1 (tube) or the O2+Odac by JDS labs. 

Jul 18, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 9
I see. I want to ask the dumb question - for an DAC/Amp like Aune T1 (tube), how to connect it to the laptop? I still do not know how to address the single line out - double line in problem. Almost every (tube) amp I saw on the forum is of this type, and I really do not know how to use them. Do I need to buy some connecting cable?

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
I see. I want to ask the dumb question - for an DAC/Amp like Aune T1 (tube), how to connect it to the laptop? I still do not know how to address the single line out - double line in problem. Almost every (tube) amp I saw on the forum is of this type, and I really do not know how to use them. Do I need to buy some connecting cable?

With the Aune T1, you would run a USB cable from the laptop's USB port to the Aune T1's USB port.

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 9
May I ask how is O2+Odac by JDS labs comparing to Audioengine D1? I am willing to pay extra money, but I do not know if there is any difference in the performance. Also, sorry for the dumb question - do I need any connecting cable between O2 and ODAC if I buy them? I only found the combo on the JDS website with a separate AV priced around 300, with no cable whatsoever listed.

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
May I ask how is O2+Odac by JDS labs comparing to Audioengine D1? I am willing to pay extra money, but I do not know if there is any difference in the performance. Also, sorry for the dumb question - do I need any connecting cable between O2 and ODAC if I buy them? I only found the combo on the JDS website with a separate AV priced around 300, with no cable whatsoever listed.

I believe a 3.5mm (1/8") male to male cable will connect the ODAC to the O2.

I would think the O2+ODAC is better, but I've never found a direct comparison between the two.

The D1 does have a S/PDIF optical input, so if you connect the D1 optically to an add-on or on-board sound card, you can usually use the headphone surround sound features.
USB connection bypass the sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back