(HOW TO)Use headphones with Xbox 360???
Feb 23, 2011 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

smittyryan

Head-Fier
I just ordered a pair of v moda crossfade lps and i hear there great for gaming. I already have a pair of turtle beach x31s that i want to sell now if i can figure out how to use the crossfades. Can someone please help me??????

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 11
The Astro Mixamp is probably one of the better options for this since it has lots of connectivity options and it gives you the ability to mix in a mic.

Otherwise, it's going to depend on your setup. If you're connecting HDMI to a monitor or TV, then your tv/monitor might have an audio out. Chances are this is just going to be RCA L and R. You may also be able to use the toslink out to a DAC.

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 11
My fave options, because Dolby Headphone (virtual surround) makes gaming so much more immersive:

Astro Mixamp

Tritton AX720 (comes with a 'free' headset)

Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for all the comments...the astro mixamp seems like a very good option but i was hoping to keep this under 50 bucks if possibly (including the amp, optical cables, splitters and WHATEVER ELSE). Is there anyway i could get something for cheaper?? Im not like a hardcore mlg gamer or anything but i do enjoy my turtle beaches!

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 11
If you bump it up to about $65, you can get the TB Ear Force DSS, which is like the Mixamp, without the ability to use voice chat, unless you use a TB headset.

That or the cheapest route I can think of it using that RCA to 3.5mm cable Burnliff posted into a Fiio E5 (like $15), and hooking up your headphones to that. The Fiio E5 isn't much of an amp, but its very effective in this method for super cheap. Probably no more than $25 for this method.

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 11
There are much better amps out there, but for saving money, the E5 will do this job.

In any case:

360 - Composite/Component cables (the red/white cables needed) - RCA female to 3.5mm male - Amp (E5 in your case) - Headphones.

The system should have come with the composite or component cables, unless you threw it away. If you are using HDMI and have an older 360, you may need to buy an audio dongle (Gamestop carries them locally, possibly other stores too), because the composite or component cables will block the HDMI socket.

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #10 of 11
okay thanks i will definitely being do this. Just one last question, how do i make the in line mic work with the xbox 360 chat. Would i have to buy a headphone splitter and then a 3.5mm to 2.5mm to connect to the controller?

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #11 of 11
THAT you'll have to figure out. Hooking a mic directly to the controller is a hit or miss, FWIR. Only one I know to work well this way isa the official headset, which you can leave hanging around your neck. The next best thing is the Steelseries Spectrum Audio Mixer which would be around $40 and would actually do everything you asked for, but it's known to have very bad hiss and sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back