How to use Dolby Virtualizer surround with Stereo headphones ?
Feb 4, 2014 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

x7007

100+ Head-Fier
I have Xonar Phoebus with DHT4 installed and Enabled with Surround Virtualizer Headphones Enabled DT990 600ohms headphones. On the Xonar Phoebus Windows Speakers it shows as 2 Channel.

How to get 5.1 and 7.1 in Movies and Games ? Should I need to set in game for example BF4 Hi-Fi and Surround ? or normal games 5.1 7.1 or just Headphones ?

In movies should I select Same as Input ? for DTS-MA movies and such DTS movies 5.1 and 7.1 what should I select to get surround ?

The Asus Xear surround makes it 7.1 Virtual Channel that you can select from the Windows speaker, it's called "Xear 7.1"

It does shows as "real" 7.1 speakers that you can test.

What exactly the Dolby Surround does ? I just can't figure if it knows to make 7.1 when Headphones/2.1 selected in games or movie player like PotPlayer  or do I need to set 7.1 speakers in the games/movie player.

And what to do when using PowerDVD13 and ArcSoft Theater , they have special Audio settings and I'm totally lost.

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 12
Hello,

For games basically You should select 5.1 or 7.1 (don't use if there is word Xear) speaker configuration in windows set-up. In ASUS software choose headphones, and again, don't use any xear set-up here, disable it. Then go to Dolby panel and turn on virtualizer for headphones.

BF4 as example should detect windows speaker set-up and then Dolby downmix 5.1 to 2 channels. How it woks? Lot of info on the web, idea is that they downmix 5.1 or 7.1 to stereo but virtualize surround sound, they use some algorithms based on how human hearing works, as You still have only 2 ears it is enough to have headphones and still hear surround sound.

And movies, it all depends on software You use, basically You should use mentioned "same as input" it means that if movie have DTS 5.1 soundtrack then player tries to output same soundscheme, and as output select Your sound device, then it should work same as in games through Dolby.

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 12
So just using 5.1 / 7.1 in-game or the highest avaliable and then making sure Headphones selected with Xear disable of course.

But somehow in movies, DTS , DTS HD-MA the sound becomes quiter if I enable the Dolby Surround headphones and choosing Same as Input, 5.1 or 7.1, compare to Stereo in the player settings.

How to make sure it works correctly ? there are other modes in the player (Pot Player ) like Dolby Surround Pro/Logic , Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Surround Pro Logic + LFE, Dolby Pro Logic II + LFE, Virtual Headphones, and some more, What are they actually do compare to the Dolby Surround Headphones from the DHTv4 ?

For example people use PowerDVD13 with the Cyberlink filter to get the Dolby headphones surround, I mean I don't know what to use already, the Same as Input or need special plugin and so on what to choose in the PowerDVD13 when I want Full Blueray.

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 12
Hey, games, at least most of current gen if not all uses windows speaker set-up. If You noticed any sound set-up disappeared from games. In BF4 all that, HiFi,HomeCinema,WarTapes just puts some effect on sound, as much is know. So games output 7.1 channels, then DHTv4 comes in in makes all the work to make 7.1 > headphones. Then card just output analog 2.0 signal to headphones.

You can check this thread, there is a lot explained, just another card used http://www.head-fi.org/t/669127/asus-xonar-u7-dac-amp-appreciation-impressions-thread

For movies, get some DTS demo, run ArcSoft TMT, in sound setup choose Asus as output device>Output Mode 5.1>Mixing disable if aviable, disable all other TMT sound effects. In DHTv4  set Cinema or something. This should make TMT to decode DTS and give 5.1 signal to DHTv4 witch makes other work.

DHTv4 is basically rebranded othed Dolby stuff and brought to one name, what i heard.

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #5 of 12
ok nice, I'm starting to understand.

ye in DHTv4 it's called Music,Movie,Game.

Why not to use 7.1 in the movie player, Potplayer,Arcsoft,PowerDVD ? cause u say 5.1 for what reason or cause ? 
gs1000.gif

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #6 of 12
Most of movie soundtracks comes in 5.1 so iám afraid if You set 7.1 and movie has 5.1 track, player would try to artificially add 2 channels and ruins sound, but it is just a guess, i don't know it exactly works. Try different set-ups and choose best for You, in the end it is up to Your ears :)

Aug 20, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #8 of 12
Hi!
With my purchase of DT 990, I just joined the forums to get tips to get most out of my headphones. I am a gamer, I was wondering what else do I need to get virtual surround sound out of my dt 990? I have MSI z87 G 43 motherboard with amp to power upto 600ohms, my version of dt 990 is 250ohms. Any good software or hardware I need to get virtual 5.1?

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #9 of 12
  Hi!
With my purchase of DT 990, I just joined the forums to get tips to get most out of my headphones. I am a gamer, I was wondering what else do I need to get virtual surround sound out of my dt 990? I have MSI z87 G 43 motherboard with amp to power upto 600ohms, my version of dt 990 is 250ohms. Any good software or hardware I need to get virtual 5.1?

Well you have the Creative Cinema, you choose in windows speaker 5.1 and you activate the SBX Surround.

Depend on what game you play make sure you choose a profile from the Creative Control Panel. Disable everything else but SBX Surround, with this headphones you don't need Crystalizer , Bass and all the other crap. Creative profiles usually have good SBX setting % for each kind of game you gonna play, it seems that 67% default is not for every game.

When you change/choose profile, make sure to check EQ if you are ok with that, it's hearing depend, I myself disable EQ, just using flat if it's enabled, don't have time to mess with that much.
and disable all the others things that the profile might enabled.

and double check the Microphone settings cause they change too.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #10 of 12
Thanks a lot for the reply man, yes I indeed have Creative Cinema. I am waiting for for my  DT 990 shipment from America, which will take a while, as long as early next month. Once it arrives I will let you know. I have a question, how does Creative Cinema know what I am playing? As it has options for Movie, Music, game, etc?

Quote:
  Well you have the Creative Cinema, you choose in windows speaker 5.1 and you activate the SBX Surround.

Depend on what game you play make sure you choose a profile from the Creative Control Panel. Disable everything else but SBX Surround, with this headphones you don't need Crystalizer , Bass and all the other crap. Creative profiles usually have good SBX setting % for each kind of game you gonna play, it seems that 67% default is not for every game.

When you change/choose profile, make sure to check EQ if you are ok with that, it's hearing depend, I myself disable EQ, just using flat if it's enabled, don't have time to mess with that much.
and disable all the others things that the profile might enabled.

and double check the Microphone settings cause they change too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back