How to test for a good seal?
May 16, 2004 at 9:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jeri534

100+ Head-Fier
okay im having some issues about getting a good seal or not, if I plug my e2s in my ear, without music playing, I can easily hear my finger snaps, but when my music is on I can't hear anything unless I try and forcefully make a loud sound, so how do I know I have a good seal?

May 16, 2004 at 10:07 AM Post #2 of 12
seal1.JPG

seal2.JPG

May 16, 2004 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 12
From my experience, I know I have a good seal when...

1) I have that strange feeling in my ear, a certain 'fullness'
2) If I tap the top of my earlobe, or the the side of my head, I can gear it amplified, compared to if I do it without phones in
3) If I rub my thumb and fingers against each other, I can't hear it.

After a while, you just know you have a good seal, you get used to the feeling

May 16, 2004 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 12
I was at Sensaphonics last week where they told that the test was clearly hearing a 50hz tone. When a seal is achieved, the tone is clearly audible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeri534
okay im having some issues about getting a good seal or not, if I plug my e2s in my ear, without music playing, I can easily hear my finger snaps, but when my music is on I can't hear anything unless I try and forcefully make a loud sound, so how do I know I have a good seal?

May 16, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelk
I was at Sensaphonics last week where they told that the test was clearly hearing a 50hz tone. When a seal is achieved, the tone is clearly audible.

Could you explain?

May 16, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 12
place your left and right hand over each respective ear and while applying mild pressure listen for a sound change

if the sound is consistant you have a good seal

or you could stick your head in a five gallon bucket of water and if your inner ear remains dry you [size=medium]know[/size] the seal is good !

just kiddin' about opion #2

biggrin.gif

May 16, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeri534
Could you explain?

OK. They had a test disc that had a 50hz tone on it. Ian (I think) simply had me insert my phones and listen. He said that if tone was clearly audible, a seal was achieved. Without the seal, and with canalphones, the 50hz tone would be inaudible.

So, I came home a did the same test with my trusted Ety 4Ps(Sensaphonics moulds) and the Soft 2xs, this time using a Stereophile Test Disc 2. In the case of the Etys, I could trace clear fundamental tone commencing at 25hz; the Sensas at 20hz but with clearly greater amplitude.

One thing that I haven't tried is to attempt to hear a 50hz tone with a poor seal. I may do this.

May 16, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 12
I know, that the seal is good, when I'm hesitant to pull the phones out because of the under-inflation the seal creates. An abrupt pull would just hurt too much. So I have to do the "full procedure": pull at my ears and take out the phones with a twisting move...

May 21, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #11 of 12
Joelk, maybe a dumb question, but do you mean listening to a 50Hz tone WITH the phones or listening to a 50Hz tone from a loudspeaker with the plugs on your ears ?
I suppose it is the first, but I would like to be sure.

May 21, 2004 at 1:18 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ton
Joelk, maybe a dumb question, but do you mean listening to a 50Hz tone WITH the phones or listening to a 50Hz tone from a loudspeaker with the plugs on your ears ?
I suppose it is the first, but I would like to be sure.

With the canalphones,of course. Any loudspeakers should be off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back