How to tell who's, "best information" to listen to...
Aug 3, 2010 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

mckinetic

Head-Fier

I was just following a thread, different people had popped in,
proclaiming this and that, some 100 headfiers, others 500,
a few Headphonus Supremus, and then at the very end, a
final post also from a Headphonus Supremus basically
denying the entire threads validity.
So, I'm wondering who in
your considered and hopefully experienced opinion is a
tried and true consistent voice of reason resident
in this sea of babbling brooks?

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 62
First of all post count doesn't matter at all. For the most part disregard it. Everyone hears differently and so I often find myself disagreeing with more experienced members. If you can try to find someone who hears similarly to you that is best. It can take a while but if you find a member and their opinions match up with yours with several different cans then I feel you know roughly what to expect from a certain can. Beginning in this hobby it is particularly difficult. When starting out I disregarded the extreme responses as I feel the subjective truth lies somewhere in between.

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 62
It was something about headphone soundstage. I'm not looking for an opinion on soundstaging, only
wondering if their might be a general consensus on who at least most of the time is a reliable voice concerning a particular
subject or topic. For example based on my limited time on this forum, to me Skylab appears to have a fairly well respected
word in many things.

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 62
There really is no definitive answers to anything here I've found. Like you said, regardless of what thread you're in you have complete contradictory info and it's really tough to gauge a good estimate for yourself about what's in question. Napalm gave some good pointers, I agree with him.

Aug 3, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 62
I assume you refer to http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/505119/top-5-wide-sound-stage-headphones/30#post_6827373

Don't worry about him. He's merely playing word games to make himself look smart (which has had the opposite effect).

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 62
Is this supposed to be a poem? lol

Aug 3, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 62

Quote:
I assume you refer to http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/505119/top-5-wide-sound-stage-headphones/30#post_6827373

Don't worry about him. He's merely playing word games to make himself look smart (which has had the opposite effect).

And how would you know what smart is?

If you don't get it, then don't comment.

Aug 3, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 62
funny.  i was just reading that thread as well.
it's unfortunate that things become so contentious...  all of us tread close to that line because we are passionate about the hobby.

basically, what napalmk said makes sense.  post count means nothing.

in fact, some of the wisest head-fiers have lower post counts because they spend more time reading than posting.

it's really a hobby for your ears.  and in the end, your ears are what decide what you like and don't like in headphone listening.
we (all) get carried away trying to explain to each other how much we love and hate aspects of this hobby.
but, in the end, this forum could go away and we'd have our headphones...

so, i'd suggest that you have to make up your own mind about who's opinions you trust.

somebody reviews a product positively.  you buy it, and like it as well.
so you come to trust their judgement.

for each of us that person(s) will be different...

Aug 3, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 62
Different people different set of preferences. Unless u match your preference to someone and follow their suggestion, nothing really help.

Best option is to attend CanJam or similar gathering where there's a lot of gears and Head-fiers present. You can try out their gears and see who match your preferences.

Aug 3, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #13 of 62
Agreed with everyone re post count.  Basically means nothing.  There are a few very well respected people here, like lff or skylab, who definitively know what they're talking about.  Apart from that, basically don't take anyone's word for what is or isn't a "good" phone.  Instead, try to figure out what phones are more neutral vs more colored, bass-heavy or light, etc, and figure out what's going to fit your personal listening preferences.  Most people here are passionate, but they also want to help.  I know, speaking for myself, that while I have a sound I like, what's important to me is that people begin to appreciate higher fidelity in music.  I believe that an appreciation for detail, nuance and complexity in composition goes hand in hand with having the gear and source material to reproduce that.  We have so many popular artists with so little complexity in their music in large part because when the average listener is listening to a 128k aac via an ipod, most of the details are going to be lost to begin with.  And the reason most of us are going to rip something like beats headphones is because you can get something SO much better for the price, or something as good for a third the price.  If you want a very colored, very bass-heavy sound signature like beats headphones, you can get it without having to pay that kind of money.  Basically my rule of thumb is, if you see an ad for hifi gear on television, that's millions of dollars that should have gone into the gear itself that went into trying to convince you that you should buy overpriced junk.  Same rule applies to beer by the way :D.

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 62
Again, WORD doesnt properly portray your real preference in sound signature. What neutral to my ears might not be neutral to yours. So take all the reviews with pinch of salt unless you have the same preference with the reviewers in term of sound signature. Most of the reviews in Head-fi are clouded by reviewers personal preference.

IMHO, trying headphones physically is the the option if you have the privilege.

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 62
This is the second time I've tried to ask a question and, I guess not been very clear.
My question is literally, who's opinion do YOU(you, the reader) frequently trust?
Is it just Skylab and Iff? Skylab was my first pick. Anyone else have a favored
voice of reason?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back