How to tell a headfier
Jun 16, 2007 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

RedLeader

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I'm down at Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto to get some black olive shure tips for my UM2. I head over to the headphone counter (see some nice D5000) and what do I see? Some guy with 3 GS1000 on the counter, going over them with a fine-tooth comb. I immediately think to myself "this guy has to be a headfier". So I head over and interrupt, asking him what he's planning to drive them with. He mentions an eddie current amp, and I figure it has to be a headfier. I go and ask him and sure enough, it's Mortalcoil! Him and his wife were at BBR, picking out some GS1000. (Realistically more like he was picking them out and I confirmed his excellent choice) It was rather amusing seeing the confused looks of the poor BBR employee. I explained it was just headfi, and he wrote down the url. Are you here poor BBR employee? Anyways,

I had some fun with the D5000 as he was checking out, and after he took off, the guy asked me "So where do you know that guy from?" I just don't him not to worry, it was a headfi thing, and I left.

So don't forget, if you see a guy going over $1200 headphones (retail in Canada) with a magnifying glass and a fine-tooth comb... he's probably a headfier!

Jun 16, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did he do with the comb?

We can always depend on you to ask the burning questions.
tongue.gif

Jun 16, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I'm down at Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto to get some black olive shure tips for my UM2. I head over to the headphone counter (see some nice D5000) and what do I see? Some guy with 3 GS1000 on the counter, going over them with a fine-tooth comb. I immediately think to myself "this guy has to be a headfier". So I head over and interrupt, asking him what he's planning to drive them with. He mentions an eddie current amp, and I figure it has to be a headfier. I go and ask him and sure enough, it's Mortalcoil! Him and his wife were at BBR, picking out some GS1000. (Realistically more like he was picking them out and I confirmed his excellent choice) It was rather amusing seeing the confused looks of the poor BBR employee. I explained it was just headfi, and he wrote down the url. Are you here poor BBR employee? Anyways,

I had some fun with the D5000 as he was checking out, and after he took off, the guy asked me "So where do you know that guy from?" I just don't him not to worry, it was a headfi thing, and I left.

So don't forget, if you see a guy going over $1200 headphones (retail in Canada) with a magnifying glass and a fine-tooth comb... he's probably a headfier!

Enlighten me. What was the comb for?

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We can always depend on you to ask the burning questions.
tongue.gif

LOL.

I'm sure it was a figure of speech. Either that, or he was checking for lice
tongue.gif

Jun 16, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL.

I'm sure it was a figure of speech. Either that, or he was checking for lice
tongue.gif

Heh heh
tongue.gif

that'd be great for the FS/FT forums.

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 25
I thought the fine-tooth comb was a well-known and accepted figure...
blink.gif

You must be joking.

Jun 16, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #12 of 25
Some people take things too literally...
biggrin.gif

So did he end up buying the headphones? I've been in BBR once and that was it, because the items are ridiculously expensive.

Jun 16, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #13 of 25
He sure did. I figured he wouldve popped in at thi point, but he must be enjoying them too much

Jun 16, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would someone comb their teeth anyway??
wink.gif

don't be silly. It's not a comb FOR fine teeth, it's a comb MADE OUT OF fine teeth. Duh
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back