how to take care of iems
Dec 1, 2011 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tedman633

New Head-Fier
hi everyone i just got my first pair of iems two days ago and their brainwavz b2s and i was wondering being the first iems i have owned how do i go about taking care of them? This is what i am doing right now tell me whether or not this is bad. right now i always bring the carrying case with me when i go out to use them and when i am done i hold 3 fingers out and wrap them around until finished. then when i am finished i take them off my 3 fingers and it comes out as a perfect cirle that fits perfectly into the case. does this damage the cable at all?

thanks everyone and happy listening :)

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 12
You're taking care of them just fine 
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #6 of 12
Wrapping around your iPod creates unwanted tension in the headphone wire, and the bending makes them more prone to damage internally. It's usually mentioned in the manual you receive with them. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Is it just that the tension. Isn't there cuz I take them off my fingers?

Since most casual ipod users don't unplug the ibuds from the player before wrapping them (tightly) around the machine, it places unfeasible strain on the cord at the jack plus the tight wrapping will increase the risk of the wire breaking at a weak point such as the Y-connect or near the earpiece. Unplug them, wrap them loosely around your three fingers and then put them in their case. Try not to yank on the cable when you're wearing them and they should last for years, faulty materials notwithstanding.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #10 of 12
Thats exactly how I wrap my IEMs up - around 3 fingers, not too tightly and then into the leather wallet - its served me well for years and I have had no cable issues with my IEMs.
As a bonus point - I always know where my IEMs are
wink_face.gif

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #12 of 12
I think I'll have to do a research paper on the instinctual usage of the three-finger wrap.  Since getting my UM3Xs I've been doing the same thing, three fingers to loosely wrap and then nestle them into the Westone case.  I do wish there were an easier way; with my B&W C5s I generally just threw them in my pocket and never had a problem.  But that scares me with the removable cables, nozzles, and connect points on my Westones.  However, I did just get a set of Shure SE215 with the iPhone cable.  That cable is thick and rubbery and I think it could potentially survive in the pocket.  Carrying the case around is a pain, but well worth it for high end phones.

One thing I'd love to see is a bud-bag of sorts.  A hard case that covers just the IEM itself and somehow tightens to the cord.  I wonder if something like that would provide adequate protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back