How to stiffen Beyerdynamic slider arms (Reversible mod)
Aug 3, 2020 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

HereticArchitect

New Head-Fier
Hey all.
This is my first proper post in head-fi. Looking forward to share sutff with this community. Next ones will come with soldering parafernalia, that DIY stuff we all prefer, hehe.
Maybe someone has already adressed it, but I didn't find it.

It's a simple and fairly easy mod for an issue that in the past drives me crazy about big Beyerdynamics:

The fact that the sliders change their position by themselves, having to readjust them every time I put them on, because they lengthened or shortened by themselves when leaving them at rest.

When finished, the arms are hard, with a fairly satisfactory click, similar to the Sennheiser hd600 series, and in general adds robustness to the body of the headphones, making no loose noise when handling them.

It has served me perfectly for COPs, T5p and Dt990. The DT1770s were already pretty tough from the factory, but they have another problem, stiffness on the aixs from ear to ear, but that's for another post.

Step 1:

Unscrew outer body of sliders, where the arms reach and the headband / upper band begins:

Step 2:

This is the piece that we will have to intervene, tightening it so that it applies more friction opposition on the sliding of the aluminum arms:

Step 3:

A strong and thin duct tape should be used, hopefully with fiber mesh. I use a 3M "all weather", the classic silver:

Step 4:

This is the crucial step. Cut a stripe the exact width of the intermediate groove on the clamping piece.

Tensioning with a little force, turn 2 times, no more:

Do not give more turns since that can cause when closing and screwing everything, there are fissures in the joint or it does not slide well.

Step 5:

Close it.

And as chileans would say: Listoko. Tight Beyers. The position of the arms is changed only if we want it so.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 3
I should let you look at my HD 25 aluminums. They have a known defect of the sliders being loose. No good solution since the springs are integral with the drivers.

Aug 3, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 3
I should let you look at my HD 25 aluminums. They have a known defect of the sliders being loose. No good solution since the springs are integral with the drivers.
Yeah, they have a very special design. I think you'd have to increase the width of the slider arms, on the flat side. Maybe with epoxi, aplying thin layers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back