How to step up from the Koss UR40
Apr 17, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #16 of 21
Ok, now here, for once, I can actually help from my own very small and short timed exprience with headphones- I have the UR-40, and the Fiio E5.
I don't understand why "mad lust envy" said that about the UR-40, but I think they are great headphones, and I don't find the bass too muddy although there is a lot of it (then again, I have not had much experience with high quality headphones, but compared to the bassy cx400-II IEM i have the bass is much better).
About buying an E5- I do not suggest that.
They do go well with the E5 on the clear sound mode (cold sound complements the UR-40 warm sound) but I don't think that's enough for you to spend 20$ on, when you have 60$ to spend on new headphones.
What should you buy with that money? I do not know. But I know it should not be an IEM, because i have the SoundMagic pl50, and i don't think they are an upgrade over the UR-40. I also don't think any pair of headphones at the same price of the UR40 will be an upgrade as well.

Good luck, I'm very interested in this as well.

Apr 17, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #17 of 21
To bring up something I must have missed, the Koss UR40 and the KSC75 in ABSOLUTELY NO WAY SOUND ALIKE.

If the Koss UR40 uses the same drivers as the KSC75, they must've gone through extraordinary measures to make sure the UR40s sound like utter crap compared to the KSC75.

It's an absolute INSULT to the KSC75's great sound to compare the two.

If you want clear upgrades to the Koss UR40, get yourself some $15 KSC75s and tell me they sound the same. I'd call you a liar.

If you want DEFINITE upgrades to the UR40s, there are three headphones that have a large amount of bass, with clearer details.

Audio Technica M50 - $90 or so. (Overall the most balanced of the bunch. I'd say this would be the best purchase).
Sony XB700s - $80 (this one will sound like a much better version of the UR40s itself)
Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro 80 - ($200) Bassier than the M50s, but not as much as the XB700s. In between the two really. Harder to drive.

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To bring up something I must have missed, the Koss UR40 and the KSC75 in ABSOLUTELY NO WAY SOUND ALIKE.

If the Koss UR40 uses the same drivers as the KSC75, they must've gone through extraordinary measures to make sure the UR40s sound like utter crap compared to the KSC75.

It's an absolute INSULT to the KSC75's great sound to compare the two.

If you want clear upgrades to the Koss UR40, get yourself some $15 KSC75s and tell me they sound the same. I'd call you a liar.

If you want DEFINITE upgrades to the UR40s, there are three headphones that have a large amount of bass, with clearer details.

Audio Technica M50 - $90 or so. (Overall the most balanced of the bunch. I'd say this would be the best purchase).
Sony XB700s - $80 (this one will sound like a much better version of the UR40s itself)
Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro 80 - ($200) Bassier than the M50s, but not as much as the XB700s. In between the two really. Harder to drive.

I don't normally do this, but I think I may take your advice
smily_headphones1.gif

I wanted something like my Porta Pros or KSC75 but circumaural... who knows I might like the UR40 but I just canceled my order because they're a dead investment anyways (not good resale value) and I'd rather not chance it. I've been wanting to try the ATH M50 for awhile even though I wasn't too impressed by the M40 (at least over my Denon D1001) now I just have to sell some old gear to buy

How do like the M50 compared to D1001 or DT770? I liked the DT770 a lot when I tried them on at Guitar Center but the ****** working there (they're all ******* there) wouldn't accept my trade in for em when they were on sale for $150.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #19 of 21
I compare the M50 to my DT770 pro 80. They sound VERY similar, IMHO. Like I said, the M50s are more balanced than the DT770 Pro, with just maybe 5% less bass. They can get REALLY low, which is AWESOME for bassheads, though you need to emphasize the low end to make it really show this. Without EQ, they are a balanced beast..

I haven't tried the D1001. It may be a lateral move to move from the D1001 to the M50 as they seem to be in the same price range/performance.

As for the KSC75, I recently bought them. I expect hype more than anything. Hell, how can a $15 stack up against some DT770, DT880, M50, AD700s that I have owned? VERY WELL, actually.

They are a BLESSING for $15, and I STILL can't believe how great they sound. The first thing I thought of when I heard the Koss UR40 was "RETURN ASAP". Not so with the KSC75. I love them so much, I don't even wanna mod them.

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuromantic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't normally do this, but I think I may take your advice
smily_headphones1.gif

Whoops, didn't realize it but I guess this could be taken as an insult
redface.gif
. What I meant is I don't like to make purchases based solely off other's opinions, but in this case I might have though I did hear the M40s and liked them except for the tightness of the headband, which I will try to stretch out on the M50s when they arrive.

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #21 of 21
The UR40 uses flat back titanium coated drivers, the same as what is in the KSC55.

The KSC75 has round back titanium coated drivers.

which sound you like more is really a personal taste thing, I like the 55 sound and couldn't stand the 75 sound (harsh, bright, fake).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back