How to step up from the Koss UR40
Mar 26, 2010 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

thesouthazn

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fiers,

So I bought the Koss UR40 (you know, the one with the KSC-75 drivers), my first audiophile headphone (could you call it that?) and after ~50 hours of burn in, I'm loving every second of it. They're very light and comfortable, and the sound seems to surround you, but I think the bass is lacking a bit. Still, it's hard to stop listening sometimes.

Honestly, they only cost me like $11.50 shipped from ebay, so I'm thinking that maybe I could do better. Where do I go from here? What's the next big upgrade? I'm a student, so my budget is extremely tight, but if there really is a big enough upgrade, I will be willing to save up, but I doubt that I will consider anything above ~$60.

My source is just the onbound sound from my laptop, and I mostly use headphones when watching dvds/hd movies or listening to high quality mp3s. I don't own any amps, just the Koss UR40 and a cord extension (by the way, do 3.5mm extension cords noticably reduce sound quality? just a sneaking suspicion). Some have said that the UR40 drivers sound much better amped, so would a Fiio or something similar help significantly? Should I instead just get a better pair of headphones? Are there any cheap sound cards that would significantly help my sound?

I think sound isolation would be a plus, because I do live with a roommate, but I absolutely hated how dark and boring the closed Sennheiser HD202 sounded (and its comfort was atrocious too). So I'm open to any style of headphone, doesn't have to be circumaural or anything. But I truly need comfort first and foremost -- please don't make me relive my HD202 experience ever again. I think it's because maybe I have a big head or big ears, but the Koss UR40 fits me like a glove.

I place my wallet humbly in your hands, Head-Fi. Please guide me, and thank you!

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 21
Pretty much anything decent is better than those overly boomy, muddy headphones. I bought the Koss UR40 and promptly returned them ASAP. They were indeed very comfortable.

For what I'd consider a complete upgrade from the Koss UR40, is the Sony XB700 which is about $80 online. They're all bass (like the Koss UR40), but aren't muddy, and just as comfortable, if not moreso than the UR40s.

They DON'T need an amp, but like all others will benefit from one. My Fiio E5 worked wonders with them.

Believe me, they are the funnest headphones I have ever put on my head. The bass will make you wet your pants. Tight, and subwoofer-like.

Mar 26, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 21
Wow, really? I mean, I know I don't have hifi ears, but it sounds pretty great to me, and many people love the KSC-75 sound. Did you give them enough time to burn in? Because I admit not liking it at first -- I preferred my $3 Panasonics to the UR40 straight out of the box, but slowly and surely this has become my headphone of choice. I feel that the sound and bass could get much better though -- I just wouldn't call them "overly boomy" or "overly muddy", but again, I've never listened to anything priced higher than $30. Am I wrong -- is the UR40 really that bad relative to other headphones at its price point?

Thank you for the Sony XB700 recommendation, I personally have never heard of it, but it looks very plushy and comfortable. But for now, I don't want to get anything too expensive, mostly because I'm scared that maybe someone will steal them, me living in an engineering dorm and such. So at the moment, it's just out of my price range but I will keep them in mind for the future when I get a job and a real wallet.

"They DON'T need an amp, but like all others will benefit from one. My Fiio E5 worked wonders with them."
I've never understood how a headphone's sound can be improved by amps. I mean, for a good listening volume right now I only need to turn up my laptop's volume up to 40%, so what would an amp do but just raise its volume even higher, or increase its bass (which I can do with an equalizer program)? Can't I just turn up the volume on my laptop?

"The bass will make you wet your pants. Tight, and subwoofer-like."
Wow, I can't imagine that -- I hope I will be able to experience something like that for myself soon.

Thank you Mad_Lust_Envy. Would anyone else have any other recommendations for what I should buy next? I'm completely open to anything, but I would like to adhere to the budget of $60 (less is much preferred!), and I value comfort above all else. I just use them for dvds and watching anime in HD 720p quality, mostly.

Mar 26, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 21
If you like what you have, enjoy them a little longer. However, if upgradtitis has hit there's little you can do but start the search again.

As madlustenvy said, Sony has some other phones in the XB series that I'd imagine are worth checking out. I really don't know a lot about the $60 range myself but I've heard the XB's do well.

swbf2cheater, has mentioned JVC HAS700's before and seems impressed with the sound they provide for $30. I might shoot him a pm if you're interested. I don't really know a lot about them.

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 21
Okay, if there's nothing to significantly combat the UR40 in the $60 range, would a Fiio E5 significantly help my UR40 (or KSC-75) if the source is just my laptop? Or would the difference be barely noticable?

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 21
I'd forget something like E5 and instead look to get an entry level DAC (w/headphone out) at least. That'd benefit your current setup much more than just adding a sub $30 amp.

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #7 of 21
The Fiio E5 mostly amplifies the volume if you find it lacking. However, the Bass Boost switch is either a hit or miss. With bass boost on, the low end is significantly increased which can be a good or bad thing. Out of ALL the headphones I have tested, the Sony XB700 is the only one that didn't distort with the Bass Boost on...not even once. All others snap and crackled here or there. In any case, it's only $20, and I found it to do it's job quite well for the price. For $20, why not? Plus the XB700 has a very low impedance, so a high level amp isn't even necessary.

Sony XB700 + Fiio E5's Bass Boost = O__O

The XB700's can really put out some serious head thumping bass.

I'm telling you of the XB700s because they sound the MOST like the UR40's, but better in every regard.

As for not giving the UR40's a chance, it may be true but I have a friend who has owned the UR40s for a long time. I went to his house and tested them out. They sounded exactly like I remembered. He has abused the hell out of them as well.

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 21
If the Best Buy's in your area are anything like the ones in mine then walk in, buy a pair of Sennheiser HD238's for $70 and walk out knowing you got a great deal on a fairly substantial upgrade to the UR40's.

e3211dec.gif
I had the Sony XB500's for a brief time and unless the XB700's are a massive, and I mean MASSIVE upgrade then there's no way in hell that I would even entertain the thought of trading a pair for my HD238's.

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 21
Thanks for the amp advice K 19 and Mad Lust -- then I've decided that I'll skip getting an amp for now, because in my mind, I could spend more than $30 on a new, better pair of headphones than just an amp. And yeah, getting an amp just for slight volume boost doesn't make sense, because I can already get more volume out of my laptop.

Olimoronio, thank you for the recommendation. I have found the HD238 at amazon for a decent price, but this is the first time I've ever heard about it. It's at the top of my recommendations list though, because the used/refurbished version is in my price range. But how comfortable are they? And how well do they isolate/leak sound? I shall research more on them, and other headphones in that price range as well.

Mar 27, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by thesouthazn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"They DON'T need an amp, but like all others will benefit from one. My Fiio E5 worked wonders with them."
I've never understood how a headphone's sound can be improved by amps. I mean, for a good listening volume right now I only need to turn up my laptop's volume up to 40%, so what would an amp do but just raise its volume even higher, or increase its bass (which I can do with an equalizer program)? Can't I just turn up the volume on my laptop?

Amping does add a lot more than volume resources... It makes the sound much more refined and balanced. Often it might increase bass slightly. And don´t EQ for gods sake... If it doesn´t sound good as it is, change it. Don´t EQ.

Mar 27, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #11 of 21
TheOtus, thank you for clearing that up. So EQing is bad, and amping does more than just increasing the volume/bass.

It makes the sound much more refined and balanced.
You say "much more", so it really is that noticeable of a change? So if I were to buy a Fiio or some other quality amp under $20, I would definitely notice improvement in the Koss UR40s/KSC-75s and not feel like i just wasted 20 bucks?

I mean, some people say it's like night and day difference with a Fiio, while others say you don't really need it -- it doesn't do much. I just don't want to feel like I wasted money.

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

TheOtus, thank you for clearing that up. So EQing is bad, and amping does more than just increasing the volume/bass.

You say "much more", so it really is that noticeable of a change? So if I were to buy a Fiio or some other quality amp under $20, I would definitely notice improvement in the Koss UR40s/KSC-75s and not feel like i just wasted 20 bucks?

I mean, some people say it's like night and day difference with a Fiio, while others say you don't really need it -- it doesn't do much. I just don't want to feel like I wasted money.

Well, I might have been carried away, it´s definitely noticeable thing, but the difference obviously varies with the equipment. And I don´t believe in Fiio doing anything spectacular... "Quality" amps are much more costy than 20$.

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

"Don't EQ" is terrible advice that sounds like it came straight from an old audiophile magazine. As for "day and night" differences, other people's subjective listening experiences are hardly ever reliable to anyone else.

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 21
EQ's is sometimes ok, but when you lower certain frequencies. EQing like "turn the bass up" usually ends in strange, less detalied, just worse sound.
Amp is not a day/night change for me (I've never listend to HP that are known to be hard to drive). It's worthy, but when you find good sound and want to make it better. Maybe you have a speakers or home cinema amp in house? Try to plug it and you'll see what the difference might be (btw, I've heard that older amplifiers have better HP amping section). Better invest in DAC or (if you play games a lot) good soundcard.
3.5mm extension cords doesn't reduce sound quality.
As for new HP choices, maybe try some IEMs like MEElectronics or SoundMagic (I don't understand who and why approved this brand name :p ).
pzdr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back