How to spot a decent LOD cable on ebay?
Sep 22, 2010 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

joay

100+ Head-Fier
I've maxed out my budget already for a rig, so $25 is my max for an LOD cable. There's several on ebay for that or less but it's just a matter flipping a coin on which one to pick, any ideas on how I should go about choosing one?

Sep 22, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 6
tried flipping a coin :p

Sep 22, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 6
$25 is probably only going to buy one that's machine made.  Given how annoying they are to build, few people will sell you one for that little that they made themselves.  In that case, it isn't too terribly important, since the main benefit is using the dock line out over the amplified headphone jack.  

Edit: apparently people will work for less these days...at least in countries other than the USA.  The Fiio one is at least OCC copper, it looks pretty solid.  A machine made LOD is probably going to be the toughest to break.

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 6
I've got a Fiio L3 on the way, $15 shipped on amazon.  These L3s are wired with Oyaide brand stranded OCC copper wire, the cable is fully shielded...it's a ridiculously good deal.  It looks to be about as good as it gets.

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #5 of 6
Oyaide actually is selling the L3 under their own brand in Japan. It was originally OEM'ed by FiiO under Oyaide's spec with Oyaide's cable from Japan. But later they reached an agreement that allows FiiO to sell the cable outside of Japan under FiiO's brand.

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 6
That's pretty sweet.  I'd love one with one of Oyaide's rhodium 1/8" plugs on the end, but more than likely the most durable option is the molded 1/8" plug anyway.  LODs are so delicate that I may just use this L3 one full time.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back